The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$3500 budget for preamps Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Nut

$3500 budget for preamps

i currently have an api 3124, a la 610 mk 2, and a bae dmp all going into an apogee ensemble....(so i guess i have those preamps too)

looking to expand in my preamp arsenol...

conisdering either
1. bae full 1073 (with eq)
2. bae 1073 mpf (no eq, i figure it might be better to have 2 preamps than 1 1073, as im not a huge fan or pre eq'ing when mixing)

now im not well versed in the preamp world...i know, im lame..sorry...

im looking to get a variety of good things... i like the 3124s which are very clean, i like the la610 on vox, and the bae 1073 stuff im learning is pretty darn cool...

my current mic situation is a vintage u87, charter oak m900, shure 81, sm7, some studio projects stuff, a akg 414-xls, 121 royer, some other stuff too...

i want stuff that is great for acoustic guitars, live vox (male and female), other acoustic instuments, and drums....

do you guys thing the bae 1073 route will be nice? do you think there is a different preamp i should be looking at?

if i got the 1073 mpf 2 channel, id probably sell off my dmp... which would give me 4 api, 1 ua, and 2 1073's... which is think is a good variety of tonal preamp worlds??? thoughts??

or is it a mic issue, is there a mic or two i need to try out?? tube mic? i heard peluso makes a great u47 style mic, and ive heard great things about geffells um70 mic (i also do alot of vo, and they are widely used in that world)

any good combos with what i have for 1. acoustics, 2 vox???

this is a great website i just got turned onto.... any of your pro help would be great!!! thanks sooo much in advance....
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swicker View Post
my current mic situation is a vintage u87, charter oak m900, shure 81, sm7, some studio projects stuff, a akg 414-xls, 121 royer, some other stuff too...

i want stuff that is great for acoustic guitars, live vox (male and female), other acoustic instuments, and drums....
The full 1073 is a good choice.
I would suggest you a tube channel strip, the QES Labs Preq-1.
I'm a happy owner of a pair, and extremely satisfied with it.
The preamp is warm and detailed, the pultec style eq is really musical.
Check some sound clips recorded through a 414 from my thread.
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

For that set of preamps you already have I suggest you to pick up some of Chandler's pre in any of its reincarnations or Trident A-Range (new stereo rack unit): it'll maximize tonal capabilities and the palette of your records in right direction. Plus, you'll get another very very useful option to your current collection of microphones which haven't yet had. Or you can upgrade your UA 610 pre to some top notch high-end tube preamp which is not enough universal option but still a viable though.
Old 22nd November 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post
Trident A-Range (new stereo rack unit): it'll maximize tonal capabilities and the palette of your records in right direction.
A-Range is over his budget. I'm sure it's great but it's pretty spendy

Trident Audio Developments A-Range | Sweetwater.com
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

if you decide to go for a full BAE 1073, I strongly suggest to check out the 1023 instead.. Same exact preamp, but more freq points in the mids and highs. For 300$ more it's a no brainer. Or maybe wait 'til the upcoming 1032 comes out (same thing but with a 4 band eq).
Even if you don't use the eq for tracking you'll use it for mixing.. It's a very powerful, ballsy eq.. heh

A different take on the same vein could be the Avedis MA5, for the 500 series..

Or you might want to go really clean with a Forssell smp-2..

Anyway I'd call a dealer and have some pres shipped to your place, so you can test them out and then decide..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

personally i think you'll waste your money. you have good pres. your mic locker is not so hot honestly. get a proper mic instead. it will make a MUCH bigger impact.
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Nut

What mics do u recommend looking into?
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
What mics do u recommend looking into?
the ones that have been used for generations. neumanns mainly. try a km84 for acoustic instruments. or - since you are looking for something that works on vocals aswell i'd try to afford a u67. works on anything. if thats too pricey (and i guess it is) you could look into a vintage u87. but please try these things before spending your money. rent a day at a studio that has them all. it will take you two hours to figure out what you want yourself. its worth the money. trust me.
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Nut

Thinking about a peluso 2247le or their 67... Thoughts?
Old 24th November 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thinking about a peluso 2247le
Maybe the one my buddy owned was a dud, dunno, but he barely used it prior to me using it on a session and I think it was the most unimpressive LDC I've ever used. It was ridiculously bright and to add "47" to it's name is very misleading.

Just my 2db, so take it for what it's worth and try the mic yourself before hand if possible. I've read that the SE version is better..
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Maybe the one my buddy owned was a dud, dunno, but he barely used it prior to me using it on a session and I think it was the most unimpressive LDC I've ever used. It was ridiculously bright and to add "47" to it's name is very misleading.

Just my 2db, so take it for what it's worth and try the mic yourself before hand if possible. I've read that the SE version is better..
Weird... What pre was the mic going thru? Any eq going on?
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Addict

i own a 2ch Brent Averill 1272 which is functionally capable to do similar things like a 1073 model.
from a tech point of view, the build quality is excellent, very Neve'ish etc...

from a sonic point of view i'm not satisfied for it thickens up everything which can be a good thing in some situations but i need an universal soldier that works for everything.

i've heard very good things about the classicapi vp28
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Addict

i own a 2ch Brent Averill 1272 which is functionally capable to do similar things like a 1073 model.

from a sonic point of view i'm not satisfied for it thickens up everything which can be a good thing in some situations but i need an universal soldier that works for everything.

Old 24th November 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Weird... What pre was the mic going thru? Any eq going on?
Started on a Flamingo, switched to a GTQII, no EQ engaged, no joy..He sold it right after this session and bought a 69' U87.
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Find a pair of real Neve 1272's in BAE 1 sp rig. Come up for $1,900 every once in a while.

And, get a used api 3124. They also come up for $1,900 every once in a while.

Okay $3,800 not $3,500 but... you get the best of both worlds and if you need to sell you do not take a bath.
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Nut

Do the 1272s sound like the 1073s
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Nut

I heard the 1272s aren't really designed like the 1073s n that they aren't really made for recording Vox... They lack high end
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Nut

Ordered a vintage km84 for acoustic (woohoo!)... And a wunder audio u7 fet!!!!
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Addict

it's so funny that one guy recommended a vintage u87, and another guy recommended a 3124, to this guy who owns a vintage u87 and a 3124…. lol
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Actually the suggestion the get a better mic was a good one though..
Depending on what the OP's after I'd look into: Flea's, Josephson (715), Brauner's, Neumann U67 (even if it's probably too expensive), Gefell's, Violet Design, Coles 4038, Beesneez Arabella or a Mahalia (for that U67-ish flavour, there was one for sale in the GS classifieds few weeks ago..).

Cheu
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_007 View Post

i agree with you about coloured gear being a good things in some situations but not universal in others. i would also put the vp28 in that same category. it's coloured as well. superb piece of kit but coloured it is.
Old 29th November 2012
Have you considered something not as colored as what you currently have and are proposing to add?

Yes, you should have one channel of 1073 but consider other options than BAE. See if you can demo a Vintech X73 as well as a Neve (AMS) 1073 DPA.

And then get one channel that isn't colored so you have that clarity option.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Maniac

The Fink stereo channel strip is $3500. That's where my money is going. Fink Analog Audio | Classic Circuits in Modern Products
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I would add more preamps only if your needing more input channels at once-ie recording full bands. Otherwise , your pre selection is fine as is. I'm sure there's some sonic differences between your DMP and 1073 (pre only), but for me, they wouldn't be enough to worry about.

Your mic selection looks fine to me as well. The only holes I see are in the drum mic department. Maybe a few choice dynamics to cover that--Senn 421, Audix D6, EV RE20, etc. Of course, more mics is always more better.

But if the money is burning a hole in your pocket waiting to be spent, I might consider a nice hardware EQ to expand your possibilities. And maybe a affordable tube vocal mic, Peluso 2247 is one choice. Telefunken Copperhead, AK47, Lauten etc.

FWIW, I use a 2247SE, which I don't regard as bright at all, and a 1272, which I don't think is too dark for vocals. And I love API on acoustic guitars. Just to show how opinions go. .
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Nut

Picked up a wunder cm7 fet.... Very nice mic indeed... Also got a vintage km84 on order...

2 pretty strong mics, right? ( that's a question, not an ego bragging thing), anyone else have the cm7 fet??? Your thoughts?

What tube mics r people digging??? 2247s seem to be either amazing or terrible... But I am intrigued... I heard the wunder cm7, sounded nice, but in that moment didn't blow me away...

I guess it's all about how u hear what u hear...

Like how a km84 is a studio standard for acoustic guitar, n u87s are studio standards.. Ate there new companies that turn out mics that have become great with the general consensus?

I also picked up a bae 10dc, very curious to try this thing out. Passed on a tube tech cl1b, I'm sure there's tons of tonal difference, but to me I didn't hear a "worth paying double" sound
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Nut

Hey everyone.. Thnk for ur help and advice... With guitars I know a lot, but recording gear, I'm quite in the dark
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Maniac
I'm super happy with my Chandler Little Devil preamps. Very versatile. I can get heft and colour if I want it, I can get sparkle and nimble mid forward sort of character or everything in between. Plus the bright switch is fantastic. Set correctly it makes almost everything sound great and would be different to what you already have

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search