The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
prism audio orpheus or good Preamps + AD/DA what road is smarter to take Audio Interfaces
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
A simple rig that would fit your budget perfectly and never lead you astray sonically would be:

Prism Sound Lyra II
Focal CMS 65 powered monitors

You don't need as many channels as the Orpheus provides, so my recommendation is to spend the difference on a credible set of monitors. I use the smaller CMS 50 monitors for location work, and two of my clients have purchased them after hearing mine. But since you don't need extreme portability and the price difference is minor, I think the CMS 65 are a better choice for you. For the interface, I think the Lyra II is a better choice than the Lyra I in the long term -- some day you'll find a reason to record something with a stereo pair of microphones and be glad.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
I agree that Prism Lyra II would be adequate interface wise, but I would recommend Adam A7X's over the Focals. Either way, straying from the Prism interface seems like a huge mistake to me.
Old 26th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
I agree that Prism Lyra II would be adequate interface wise, but I would recommend Adam A7X's over the Focals. Either way, straying from the Prism interface seems like a huge mistake to me.
I don't have direct experience with the A7X, nor was I certain they were within the OP's budget. But my production room has a 5.1 monitor system based on ADAM S2-A's that I absolutely love. I do most of my mixing on them, actually.
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

If it were me and I'm liable in a similar position soon, I'd probably go for a Lynx Hilo and Juggernaut preamp even though that would probably take you al little way over budget.
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Get the Lyra II. There's a beautifully clear window where conversion used to be with a Prism channel.

If that guitar you were talking about is an acoustic, wait till you hear the playback of your recording (great mic too of course) and get ready to smile, wide.
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
A simple rig that would fit your budget perfectly and never lead you astray sonically would be:

Prism Sound Lyra II
Focal CMS 65 powered monitors

You don't need as many channels as the Orpheus provides, so my recommendation is to spend the difference on a credible set of monitors. I use the smaller CMS 50 monitors for location work, and two of my clients have purchased them after hearing mine. But since you don't need extreme portability and the price difference is minor, I think the CMS 65 are a better choice for you. For the interface, I think the Lyra II is a better choice than the Lyra I in the long term -- some day you'll find a reason to record something with a stereo pair of microphones and be glad.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Thx for the valuable recommendation, David.
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Head

thanks guys.. I guess I'm leaning towards prism audio again.

In case I get the Lyra II, will I have similar expanding options, like I have on the babyface?

I.e. if I want to add outboard gear to my signal chain in future (preamp, ad/da, compressor etc.), will the Lyra II have the interface to connect with that gear?

here's the spec, but seems like a bit cryptic writings to me. just wanted to make sure. It has 4 outputs (2 stereo afaik), 1 xlr mic input, 2 unbalanced instrument inputs.

LYRA 2 FRONT PANEL
Instrument Inputs 2 x 6.3mm mono jack sockets, auto-select to analogue inputs 1 & 2 when plugged, software override
Headphone Output 1 x 6.3mm stereo TRS Jack with illuminated volume control
Master volume Assignable encoder / push switch with halo indication
Standby button with standby indicator (also flashes when unit is in 'identify' mode)
Indication:
Level Meters 4 x multi-segment bargraphs with overload indication, 2 for analogue, 2 for digital, assignable to inputs or outputs
Input selection Indicate mode of analogue inputs as Mic / line / inst & plus phantom power indicator for mic mode
Overkiller For analogue inputs, lit when Overkiller limiters are acting
Digital Input indicators for digital input unlocked and SRC (sample-rate converter) selected
Digital Output indicator for SRC (sample-rate converter) selected
Sync Master indicator, lit when interface is providing system sync

LYRA 2 REAR PANEL
Mic inputs 2 x XLR sockets
Line inputs 2 x 6.3mm TRS jack sockets (balanced or unbalanced)
Line outputs 1-4 4 x 6.3mm TRS jack sockets (balanced or unbalanced)
Digital inputs 1 x RCA
1 x TOSLINK for S/PDIF or ADAT Optical input;
(RCA can operate as AES3 input using XLR-RCA adapter supplied)
Digital output 1 x RCA
1 x TOSLINK for S/PDIF or ADAT Optical output;
(RCA can operate as AES3 output using XLR-RCA adapter supplied)
Wordclock 2 x BNC sockets, output and input (75?)
USB port 1 x USB type B receptacle
Network port 1 x RJ45 AVB ethernet port
Mains power 3-pin 6A IEC inlet

Lyra technical Specifications

RME: Babyface
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Head

anyway, thanks a lot guys. you really helped me out in my decision process.

I will update this thread in the next weeks (or months) regards to news, if anyone wants to know which gear I ended up with.

cheers
j.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

guys, just an update.

im still thinking about lyra2 and other options,

but for now I've decided to take the long but secure way:

I am going learn using DAWs and trying to understand my own ideas and needs by practicing...

for practicing I will get a cheap usb interface and start learning by trial

during this time I will wait a couple of months to see how lyra2 does in the market, if it has lot of bugs, or is it well accepted.

i think this is the wisest thing for me not to waste too much money for now and learning DAWs, mixing a bit, and avoiding ending up with using only 25% of the gear what I bought..

i will keep updating this thread about prism and co.
Old 13th March 2013
Gear Head
prism

I bought an orpheus a few years ago and did a project with it that I think sounds terrific. I do have to say that the mic preamps are good, but not great. That said, the conversion quality, and the Prism customer service make them not only the best choice, but the best choice by far.

I'm like you; looking for the best quality sound without needing more than a couple of inputs. I'm selling my orpheus to get the lyra. I've tried almost everything else out there trying to save some money, and nothing sounds as good to my ears as Prism. I tried metric halo, apogee symphony, UA Apollo, and the Lynx Hilo. Of that group, the Lynx is the only other unit in roughly the same league soundwise, but I think the Prism is just a bit more musical - it's hard to describe, and is based mostly on impressions, but I'm firmly in the Prism camp.

Don't wait on the sidelines. Get the prism and an API 512c and start doing your music. You can't beat that combination.
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear
Why are you selling an Orpheus to get a Lyra?
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troxelj View Post
I bought an orpheus a few years ago and did a project with it that I think sounds terrific. I do have to say that the mic preamps are good, but not great. That said, the conversion quality, and the Prism customer service make them not only the best choice, but the best choice by far.

I'm like you; looking for the best quality sound without needing more than a couple of inputs. I'm selling my orpheus to get the lyra. I've tried almost everything else out there trying to save some money, and nothing sounds as good to my ears as Prism. I tried metric halo, apogee symphony, UA Apollo, and the Lynx Hilo. Of that group, the Lynx is the only other unit in roughly the same league soundwise, but I think the Prism is just a bit more musical - it's hard to describe, and is based mostly on impressions, but I'm firmly in the Prism camp.

Don't wait on the sidelines. Get the prism and an API 512c and start doing your music. You can't beat that combination.
This is interesting to me. Duet 2 user looking at the Lyra 1 + a JJ Akita for mostly hiphop /male vocals. Seems like it should be an incredible sound.
Old 2nd April 2014
V.t
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Exactly. Gearslutz seems to be populated with a lot of seasoned vets who already have good sized studios and have been professionally mixing for years. People tend to already have good equipment in their racks.

If you're being recommended an Orpheus... it's from someone who already has Genelacs at their studio... or they've run their gear from a Lynx Aurora or an Apogee and decided to upgrade. But who said that Lynx Aurora wouldn't be all you need in an interface (i'm not endorsing an Aurora b/c i've never used on.. just using it as an example)? Just because Orphues > Aurora.. doesn't mean Aurora isn't up to par lol. It's not a 2nd-rate choice... it's still professional and should poop on all of the "baller on a budget" gear which is good but not super high quality.. (ie. MAudio Profire, Presonus Firestudio, MOTU... etc etc). That's the non-high end gear you sound like you wanna stay away from.... not RME / Apogee / Lynx.

RME is not "baller on a budget" gear. It's considered the entry way into high-end and is a smart choice b/c you get close to super high end quality at a reasonable price. It's like an Acura sitting on a lot full of BMWs. Yeah the BMW is a step ahead... but can you really be dissatisfied with an Acura when it comes down to it? lol. If you're going to go a step above that... you should have the gear and credentials to go along with it. The only point you should upgrade from there is if you feel like your gear is holding you back.... and i seriously doubt you'll feel that way any time soon.

PS.. A cousin of mine has owned the high end gear stuff. He's worked in big studios. Consults for LA Reid. He recently downgraded his setup so he could just focus on song writing. His main goal was to get rid of his huge racks and just have a nice small compact rack so he'd be semi-mobile. What does he run his setup with now? An Apogee Duet. He loves having that one knob he can do a lot with. RME Babyface is a direct competitor to the Duet... it's not a bad choice lol. Don't sleep on it b/c it's small.... the quality is there.
Sorry this is coming late but I must comment. I'm just doing what your cousin did. I got me a new high spec laptop so I can mix anywhere and check back on my studio monitors before final output. I'm currently researching on a good bus-powered interface and came across this. Good info!
Old 2nd April 2014
V.t
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
+1 on the A7X.
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

Jazztropist, how did everything pan out? I remember reading this thread with great interest back in 2012, and now seeing it again I feel like I gotta know what happened haha

Btw I liked the Lyra/focal suggestion
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

Not sure if our loopback tests would help. I couldn't make out how many sources you will definitely need to track at a time.
http://www.************/converter-comparison/
I would go with a separate solution for conversion and preamplification.
Old 5th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2dpapi View Post
Not sure if our loopback tests would help. I couldn't make out how many sources you will definitely need to track at a time.
http://www.************/converter-comparison/
I would go with a separate solution for conversion and preamplification.
Its completely irrelevant
Get the gear, in house
Work with it, see where you are at then,
"loop back" testing is junk science............
Flawed
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Its completely irrelevant
Get the gear, in house
Work with it, see where you are at then,
"loop back" testing is junk science............
Flawed
Loopback testing may have caveats, but how else is it going to be measured at all? DA and AD are often used in loopback processing chain.
Old 8th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter88 View Post
Loopback testing may have caveats, but how else is it going to be measured at all? DA and AD are often used in loopback processing chain.
You can easily measure AD DA converters without looping signal DA AD DA AD DA, (and so on) to see when it starts to degrade. You will find that it would degrade using ANY equipment, even the wires.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search