The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any UAD Apollo External Clocking Users Out there? Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Any UAD Apollo External Clocking Users Out there?

Hi!
Been using the Apollo Quad for about 5 months now.

Dropped my modded Lynx Aurora 16 a few months back when the Apollo Quad came out...and I gotta be honest...I was a little disappointed when I heard a 20-25% degradation in sonic quality. (I'm sure this percentage scale I've used to describe the degradation is EXTREMELY subjective...and for me, I felt that off the bat, it lacked that 3D depth, focus and sharpness in the high frequencies. The low end felt a bit crowded, and I missed a bit of the bass extension I previously had)

That being said, I immediately plugged in an Apogee Big Ben that I had lying around, and was happy to see a significant change for the better on all the points I mentioned above. I've been using this setup for 5 months.

I just picked up a Black Lion Audio Micro Clock II from fellow GS user Alistair a few days ago...and just fired this baby up!

Wow! Very happy with the results!
Here are my findings compared to clocking to the Apogee Big Ben.

Immediately, I noticed a loss in the low frequencies...things sounded a bit anemic in the bass area. However, I attribute this to things getting cleaned up throughout the frequency...and I'm happy to adjust my ears and mixes to compensate for this.
In fact I found that since moving to the Apollo, I've been having a little trouble with lower frequencies..which became obvious when listening to mixes in the car.

As far as stereo width, it seems quite comparable to the Big Ben..
However, the increase in clarity and detail within that same width make mixing and listening a pleasurable task.

In regards to perceived punch and loudness...It felt like the overall level went down .5 to 1db in comparison to the Big Ben and Internal Apollo clocking.
However, once again, I attribute this to more detail and clarity...it definitely sounds like the music has a little more breathing room.

VERDICT:

Overall very pleased with the BLA Micro Clock II, and am pleasantly surprised such quality comes from such a small package.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have a avocet so I cant comment. You are the first apollo owner ive seen that said you like the aurora over the apollo though. I went from the 192 to the apollo and it was a big improvement.
I also have the aurora but use it as a/d only.
Ill swap it it to d/a and compare the outputs to apollo.
I do agree that in minimal listening the low end was a bit loose.
The avocet fixed that. I did really like the image though and have heard clocking to the aurora makes it worse.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Head

I have an aurora 8 & an apollo ... I absolutely like the auroras converters better.

I do outboard summing and hear the two side by side everyday. The apollo doesnt sound cheap, im very aware of the cloudy smeared sound of cheap converters and i would never use something that sounded bad, but they are puffy-er & less detailed. I use the Aurora for drums/vocals/bass & the Apollo for keyboards/gtrs/back vox/fx. I always track everything through the Aurora.

After not being happy with either as a master I now clock both off a Grimm CC1 which makes an incredible difference.

Just got an Aurora Hilo for monitoring, so pretty much only using the Apollo for its console app right now during tracking, which is really cool, but im considering selling it for an SSL xpanda & another Aurora or maybe checking out the new Antelope to get i/o up.
Old 26th April 2013
I tried that Micro Clock thing, on several nice converters and to my ears every time it sounded pinched, harsh, and more edgy than on internal. And I could not get passed the 9-12v wall wart.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear
So - you think the Big Ben definitely makes the Apollo DA sound better? I think they're going for @ $700 these days...Wouldn't mind a Lavry Black DA either...
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear
BTW - how would you set up another DA to take over DA on the Apollo?
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

another Apollo user here. but my clocking comes from the mytek 8x192 which is also my main converter. I recognized a big improvement in sonic quality on the apollo when clocked @ 88.2 from the mytek. my 8x192 has an adat and fw card, so I can use it standalone or as another DA via adat.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
another Apollo user here. but my clocking comes from the mytek 8x192 which is also my main converter. I recognized a big improvement in sonic quality on the apollo when clocked @ 88.2 from the mytek. my 8x192 has an adat and fw card, so I can use it standalone or as another DA via adat.
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to chime in on a HEDD 192 (master clock) to Apollo Quad via BNC Wordclock. Major improvement in sound. The Apollo Quad uses the same D/A chipset as the HEDD 192 so it makes sense that a better clock would provide a better sound image for this combo. I couldn't live with the Apollo Quad D/A with internal clock. I'd use the term harsh to describe it. The HEDD 192 clocked to it takes out the edgy harsh sound and creates better separation and 3D like imaging.
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear

Too old yes.
I sold the UA, never use the DA on the Apollo. Right now I only have the Mytek 8x192 as DA, sometimes I switch to the Avocet...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search