The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
With The Sync HD As Master Clock Do You Hear An Improvement In The 192 I/O's? Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

With The Sync HD As Master Clock Do You Hear An Improvement In The 192 I/O's?

With The Sync HD As Master Clock Do You Hear An Improvement In The 192 I/O's?:

Was working in the studio within the past few weeks, and the setup I'm working with has five(5)-192 I/O's in the system(40 In X 80 Outs) feeding an 80 channel SSL9000J. We have a Sync HD instead of a Sync I/O installed into this system. I'd heard the Sync HD gave better results with the 192 I/O's as a master clock so I gave it a try. Seemed like setting the Sync HD as the master clock on a session that's 24bit 44.1 yielded tighter bass, a clearer mid freq. section with more depth, & greater clarity in the high freq.'s. Anybody else experience this, or am I delusional. And, if I am correct does this combo. sound anywhere as good as the newer HD I/O all by itself(being run off its own internal clock).

Rob G..
Old 18th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
...yielded tighter bass, a clearer mid freq. section with more depth, & greater clarity in the high freq.'s...
I'm willing to bet that this is some sort of conformational bias on your part. I highly doubt changing the clock source for your converters would have this much of a tonal impact.

Bring on the flames.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Check the rest of Gearslutz. Changing a clock source does have an influence on converter performance. For all I know the Digidesign 192's, Sync I/O's, and Sync HD may have the same type of clock(oven controlled crystal, or other(I doubt rubidium)). But myself and a few engineers I work with seem to hear a difference. But, We/I could be wrong, hence this post. Also I've not been able to find a jitter spec. on the Avid Sync HD(ppm, and etc.).
Old 18th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Check the rest of Gearslutz. Changing a clock source does have an influence on converter performance.
I've spent plenty of time checking the rest of Gearslutz, but even more time doing blind A/B tests in our studio. Here's a great thread to show you how subtle (if any) the nuances between clock sources can be:

Antelope Trinity 10M vs. Internal Clock comparison
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have used the 10M, & Trinity combo.. It makes a difference in the quality of the sound for the better in my opinion. My question is about what's in the subject heading of this thread.

Rob G..
Old 17th May 2014
Lives for gear

bump to an old thread.

Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

Re-bump...
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

I've used 192s and Sync HDs for years so I'm pretty familiar with the sound. I could not hear any difference in D/A playback performance when switching back and forth and I've done the test a number of times over the years. Never bothered to do a test on the A/D side but I've had the 192s clocked both internally and to the Sync HD in that situation on many occasions and I never thought the sound was improved or better than expected in either clocking situation. They always sounded like 192s to me.

If you have it and you like the sound, then by all means do it. I would in no way seek out a Sync HD for clocking sonics, just for it's useful feature set with LTC, pull down, tri-level sync, etc. Good god there are so many things you could do with that money that would actually matter / be remotely audible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search