The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AD/DA options Digital Converters
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

New AD/DA options

I'm looking to update my Fireface 800 to the next best option. I do my mixing ITB but generally use around 8 inputs (dedicated for 2 vox, 2 acoustic guitars and 2 for electric guitars) and 2-4 outputs. I don't really use spdif on the FF800 but if it means I could continue to use the FF800 as an extension of the new ADDA, I'd be fine with that.
Some options are perhaps a 2 in/out with spdif or AES but I'm not sure.
Just looking to get it right and not look back. I'm open with budget at this stage.
Thanks!!
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 17th November 2012
You could use the FF as an ADAT expansion on a new interface, but if you're thinking of messing around with using it as a sub mixer over stereo S/PDIF just sell it off. Are you using the pres on it, or do you have good pres?

Easiest upgrade is expanding it with a Rosetta 800 or Lynx Aurora with the ADAT card. Plug your real pres in those and just use the FF pres for toms, hat, and bvox.
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
You could use the FF as an ADAT expansion on a new interface, but if you're thinking of messing around with using it as a sub mixer over stereo S/PDIF just sell it off. Are you using the pres on it, or do you have good pres?

Easiest upgrade is expanding it with a Rosetta 800 or Lynx Aurora with the ADAT card. Plug your real pres in those and just use the FF pres for toms, hat, and bvox.
Thanks Matt.
I have great pres and only use the line inputs on the RMEs. Bottom line I guess is I want the best vocal chain possible and this is perhaps the last in the chain that I have doubts over..
Yes the adat sounds like a great option. Would I just be able to manage with a 2 in/out and use adat from the RME? Also how about the word clock aspects? Would I not need a dedicated word clock here? Or is that just a hyped up thing.
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated! Thx
Old 17th November 2012
If two is enough then, get the Symphony I/O. They're only two grand now.
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Look into the new SSL MX converters. 16 in and 4 out sounds like a good fit for you.
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Head

Check out the Antelope Orion 32, 32 in and out through usb2. Retails around $3000. It also has Adat in and madi.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks pfeifer, KR, Matt.
With these options would my FF become redundant? I'd love to keep using it for my synths and possibly but making 2 new channels available for vocals..that is probably the key for me right now. If I do a full system upgrade then I may do a 16 in/out but not sure if the change would warrant a greater sound for me on synths, guitars etc. Anyone want to chime in here? Also note that I use Cubase, Logic and some native PT10 for my work, Cubase being primary, on a 2008 Mac pro. Thx
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

bump.... )
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Also check out the Lynx Aurora 8 and 16.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm gonna buy a Lynx Hilo and hook up my FF800 to it through Adat.
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Nice, Lynx is a solid company.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
I'm gonna buy a Lynx Hilo and hook up my FF800 to it through Adat.
How many in/out channels in total would you then have? Thx
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Ba ba bump...
Would love to get more thoughts here. Thx
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

You could get a Rosetta 800. I've used them at school, they were nice.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
I'm looking to update my Fireface 800 to the next best option. I do my mixing ITB but generally use around 8 inputs (dedicated for 2 vox, 2 acoustic guitars and 2 for electric guitars) and 2-4 outputs. I don't really use spdif on the FF800 but if it means I could continue to use the FF800 as an extension of the new ADDA, I'd be fine with that.
Some options are perhaps a 2 in/out with spdif or AES but I'm not sure.
Just looking to get it right and not look back. I'm open with budget at this stage.
Thanks!!
For years I've been using 8 channel Myteks, worked great with the FF800. Aurora, Lavry, all viable options at reasonable prices. The FF800 uses ADAT, not AES so unless you plan to change interfaces, you'll need to pick an ADAT interface. (Mytek has an optional ADAT card for their converters.)
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

I was thinking mytek also or benchmark.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Maniac

I've been using an Apogee Rosetta 800 for a few years now with my FF800 and it works great via ADAT. I'm now seeing them for around $1000-$1200 without the xHD cards which you won't need when using just the ADAT ports.

Another way you could go is with an API A2D, which has two nice API preamps and a AD converter with SPDIF output. You could use that on the SPDIF jack on your FF800 for two more channels and upgraded conversion going in.

I have both and they both worked great with my FF800, though I'm just now upgrading to a pair of AD/DA16x units for even more channels.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post
I've been using an Apogee Rosetta 800 for a few years now with my FF800 and it works great via ADAT. I'm now seeing them for around $1000-$1200 without the xHD cards which you won't need when using just the ADAT ports.

Another way you could go is with an API A2D, which has two nice API preamps and a AD converter with SPDIF output. You could use that on the SPDIF jack on your FF800 for two more channels and upgraded conversion going in.

I have both and they both worked great with my FF800, though I'm just now upgrading to a pair of AD/DA16x units for even more channels.
Thanks. So are you going to hook up the AD/DA16x to the Computer and then ADAT to FF800 or have the FF800 hooked up through Fireface and then ADAT the AD/DA16x into the FF800?

Also, were you able to use a preamp before hitting the A2D?
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Hi folks.. would love some more thoughts here if ok.
Qn: What are the pros using? Apogees mostly? say folks like Paul Epworth to Max Martin etc? Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I'm using the Avid 16 i/o.

With a Burl B2 (AD) and Crane Song Hedd (AD/DA) and Avocet controller

The new Avid converters actually sound VERY good.
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
Could you describe your AD/DA chain and how you connect these three pieces together?
Avid/CraneSong/Burl
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Depending on what I'm doing I have things connected different.

Currently, I'm working on a mix so I have the B2 and Avocet hooked up AES to the Avid. I'm printing to the B2 after summing through a Thermionic Fat Bustard. Monitoring via the Avocet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search