The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A good pre to use with a Neumann TLM67 for lead vocal Single-Channel Preamps
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

A good pre to use with a Neumann TLM67 for lead vocal

Hi to everybody ! I'm a new member of the forum and I have a great doubt.
I have a Neumann TLM67 and I'm trying to figure out which pre could be the best option (at a "decent" price) for a lead vocal; the TLM67 has a particular smoky/dark sound (in a good way!) and due to that the choice of the pre becomes crucial. I was thinking about a Great River ME-1NV (more vintage colour) or a less expensive Focusrite Isa ONE (more clean) but this is going to be my first stand-alone preamp and I've no great experience at all! Please, fell free to say anything (and any preamp name) that might help me not to make a mistake

P.S. Sorry for my english, I'm italian :D
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

I think the ME-1NV would be a great option. It's got a lot of transformer goody'ness, and is a top notch bit of kit. Plenty of features, and one of the few units that I've almost heard not complaints about, at least relative to anything else. It can go from clean to dirty and everything in-between, and should lead you in the way of getting a nice tone across your mix.

The ISA One is also a great pre. I've got one myself and i really like it on most things. I find the small amount of coloration nice, but sometimes want more, for things like lead vocals especially. I do acoustic folk styles of music, and the ISA One does a pretty decent job at keeping things nice and clear/focused. Feature wise, its got loads of extras that make it really great like four impedance options for changing the tone of the source, and a second DI channel if required. The high pass filter is also really fantastic sounding, and you can really hear how tight the audio can get once enabled. It's an 18dB/oct filter which is steeper than most filters found on most mic's/pres.

So yeah, the ISA is great for the price and i do highly recommend one, but seeing as though you are looking at the ME-1NV, i would urge you to try and find out what kind of a sound you are looking for. The ISA would not doubt open up the sound a little more, be a little less low mid heavy, and maybe bit a little bit clearer/airy, but without as much weight. The GR (when driven) would really emphasise the low mid richness/fullness and give you a large and upfront vocal sound that occupies more midrange. You would have to be careful when stacking the GR not to 'over-drive' the preamp all the time, otherwise you may find a boxy/unclear mix.

Other units you may want to look at are:
-Daking Mic Pre One
-BAE 1073MP/F or 1073DMP
-500 Series rack + many alternate options.

The Daking's are quite nice also. I have one and use it a lot. It's fairly neutral sounding but has a slight upper midrange push which helps vocals and acoustic instruments to have loads of definition. It doesn't really drive though, it just has a 'sound' of its own really.

The BAE are supposed to be excellent replicas of Neve classics (amongst a few). I've been eyeing up the 1073MPF for a while now, simply because i like the idea of the filter and 19'' rack space, as well as being able to get a second to run my mixes through as line level (the DMP doesnt allow for these features as far as i know, but it is quite a bit cheaper), but they both have a great and authentic sound as far as i know. I believe they are more coloured than the Great River if that is something you desire.

If you got a lunchbox there are tons of pres than people may recommend. The Avedis MA5 crops up a lot, as does the new AMS Neve 1073LB. You will have to buy the lunchbox first, but in the long run, it tends to work out cheaper and more affordable if you are planning on getting a bunch of 500 series gear, but of course its quite an investment to most people.

Good luck with your search.
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for your answer Euphoria; it's a tough decision indeed ! I don't think that I'll take a lunchbox 'couse the only gear I'll take in the future will be a digital converter, so I prefer to invest all the money in a single stand-alone piece. All the pre you've mentioned are really amazing but the thing that matter most to me is how can my TLM67 (having regard to its peculiarities) can work with one or the other on a vocal recording.
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Are you looking to cover all music genres or any one in particular?
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

I'm on a Pop/Rock style; when I cover-up, Queen songs are my favourite target
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Yes, in fact my idea would be to take the Great River but I would also like to hear some owner (or ex-owner) of a TLM67 to be sure of the result
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthroy View Post
I'm on a Pop/Rock style; when I cover-up, Queen songs are my favourite target
Your a man of my own heart. Queen just so happens to be my fav band.

For what its worth, some of the Queen recordings were cut (i believe) on a Trident desk. The Daking mic pres are heavily based on this design, like the 1073 clones are to an original.

Of course, not saying getting a Daking/Trident will make you sound like Queen in the slightest of sense, but its quite cool knowing these designs really arent a million miles away from what top studios used back in the day.

There was a shootout with a GR, Daking, API and an ULN-2 mic pre from a while back if you do a search on an acoustic track and vocal. The differences are subtle, but each of them more than capable of producing a fine recording.

Personally, i agree with what the previous poster said regarding the 1073 'sound'. It's a really great and versatile design than yields very warm and pleasant sound, which is why there are so many replicas and designs based off it. I think you'd be wise to save up for a Great River or DMP BAE or something of a similar nature and go for that classic sound, which is synonymous with classic rock. It will always be a sound that works well on any mic and would last you for years and years. Failing that, i believe you would have just as good results with a Daking mic pre too, or slightly cheaper mic pre than the GR.
Old 14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Very happy to talk with a Queen fan ! Do you know that during the recording session in the Trident Studios Queen (like David Bowie and others) used Neumann U67 mics ? The TLM67 is not (unfortunately) a U67 but there's something in the sound that unites them and now, thanks to you, I know that the Daking preamps have something of that era. I think I'm going to see something about the Daking Mic-Pre One... :D
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Nut

hi,

i own and love a tlm67.
it's a smooth and colored mic.
i have clean (dav bg1, safesound tracking toolbox) and colored (warm audio wa12, peavey vmp2) preamps.

for vocals i prefer the combination of the colored tlm67 with a uncolored preamp.
my favorite is the safesound audio tracking toolbox. awesome recording tool and it has a great compressor/limiter too.

never used a great river but it has a great reputation.
it tested a gap pre 73 dlx with my tlm67, didn't work for me, strange mids...
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Thank you Ma Ga; I agree with you, colour+colour can be "dangerous", that's the reason why I rejected the option, for example, of a UA Solo610 or a Gap73. At this point I think my choice will be between a Great River ME-1NV (that can be colored or less, depending on the setting) and the Daking Mic-Pre One.
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Just picked up a Lachapell.983s. There is a lot of variety with that pre. You could read my review. Good luck.
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Definitely good stuff; but it's a dual channel and I need only one (the single one needs a lunchbox); the 983s is too much expensive for me
Old 15th November 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

I only had the chance to try the TLM67 with a GR but we were very pleased with the results.Given the chance, I would have liked the opportunity to have tried it with the Daking also. I agree with everyones comments about the darkish tone of this mic pairing with a .mic amp on the cleaner side.Its nice to read comments about this underrated mic from actual users as opposed to the standard TLM bashing.I was very plesantly surprised by this mic and am glad I listened for myself
Old 15th November 2012
Something bright and clean. If you search for preamps that meet these requirements, you'll be all set. Go through ourREVIEWS section and look through the various preamp reviews there. That'll get you started!
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

Yes Baz; when I compared the TLM67 with the U87ai I definitely had no doubt about my choice ! The TLM67 has a more high-end sound
Thanks for the information Pike; I'm going to use the reviews section right now !
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

At the end I made my decision and I'll take the Daking Mic-Pre One
Old 15th November 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthroy View Post
At the end I made my decision and I'll take the Daking Mic-Pre One
I love the Daking preamps.No way I can see this being a poor choice
Old 4th January 2015
Here for the gear

Any other experiences with the TLM67 and the GAP Pre 73? I have the 67 on order. I own the Pre 73 (which I don't mind with a C414 XLS) and am wondering whether I need to consider a Daking Mic Pre One to go with the 67...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search