The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Echo chamber advice Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Maniac

Great thread.

Would any of you guys lucky enough to have your own echo chamber consider posting some clips, maybe drums/vocal if you have a spare moment?

I have an fairly good idea of what the classic echo chambers can sound like (via Pet Sounds et al, and Altiverb...) but I am super, mega, ultra keen to hear what you guys are achieving!
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Nut

chamber rules :)

heyho!!

this thread inspired me to make my own echo chamber again

I just miked the lounge of my studio und have a speaker feeding the room...

wooow...that sounds just so natural!!

I´ll post an audio file in the next days here

have fun!!!
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Got to get mine built .... I have all the ceramic tiles just need the time:-)
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Nut

So the speaker they might have used may be a WE/Altec 755a from the mid 50's or the 755c that started being produced in 1961. I heard someone say they had a 604e in there but if Levine says 8" than I'm thinking... 755c in a 618 cabinet? Today these 755's are very expensive, like upwards of 7,000usd for one speaker (Western Electric 755a) but then they were the ten year old ones you could just throw in a damp place like an echo chamber back in the mid sixties. Now I'm not sure of the difference, besides the sticker, but the Altec 755a is less than 50% cheaper... Could be way off from the 8" they had but this is what I'm experimenting with anyway... Unless someone can correct me! The mic was for sure an RCA 44 or 77 though.
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've lived in a couple places that had bathrooms that were completely tiled (save the ceiling). And they were actually pretty dead acoustically. Wonder if the type of tile matters, or if it's all in the grouting or what.
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have two different bathrooms I use for short reverb and the sound is basically always the same as the lead vocals on the old Three Dog Night song "Liar".. which was live tracked in a small bathroom for vocals.

I often use that feed for percussion or an overall room ambience where applicable. The sound is sort of limiting in what you can use it on since the r time is so short.

I also use a combination of gating the send, delaying the send, compressing the returns ( I have two mics in the bathrooms and one speaker), and sometimes also delaying the returns in slightly varying amounts. All good and useable... for short room sounds that is.

It's cool that some of you are setting up your own spaces to develop longer reverb times.

I'm not personally in to that, but do often haul a laptop, ref speaker, two mics to various rooms (non-studios) in town to do a fast "grab" of great sounding reverb rooms. Run some tracks to the speaker and recapture in to spare tracks for later mix.

It's free... next to nil setup time.. and gives an infinite number of "chamber" palettes to choose from. I'd probably get more into doing impulses of those rooms if I had the time. On the other hand, this way is very "real".

There are also some studios that will let you pipe into their chambers with your tracks.

To me, any of the above are great choices. Unless you're really determined to roll your own chamber.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search