The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Revox g36 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Head

Revox g36

Hi folks

a friend of mine have bought a Revox G36. I see that Revox G36 have unbalanced ins and outs.

If i want to transfer something from DAW to G36 and back to DAW can i use XLR Balanced to G36 unbalanced adapters only ?

How do you sincronise G36 with DAW ? is there any plug in ?

which input have more headroom diode or radio ?

I see that many of you talks about saturation.. how to get best results ?

Is there any secrets you can share ..mixing or mastering with G36 ?

Thank you
Old 7th November 2012
Here for the gear

Hi, I have one G36.

Inputs:
The diode and the other inputs are the same levelwise (-10dBv I believe).
Pay attention to the heads: are they clean, are they in good state?
You can clean them with isopropilic alcool and a soft cotton (= non conducting).
Tapes:
I think you might want to check several tapes to have a variety of sounds to choose from depending the style of music you make.
But I have no tape brands / models to propose to you as I did't make a research about that: I don't use my machine very much, and not for mastering...
lamps:
As it has lots of lamps inside, that is something that should be checked also
(lamps have a limited lifetime). Thant can make your sound better or worse...
And the lamps have to warm up a little to work well.
About servicing:
I heard from a technician at Revox that these units G36 were made in the early 60' without following a perfectly exact drawing, so there might be differences between different units (each technician did mount the parts in a slightly different way)...
And of course there were different models, some of them beeing custom built for schools for example.
Some former technicians at Revox are working in a small company in the french speaking part of Switzerland : multiservice.ch
They might be of some help.

Enjoy your new machine!
And I you could share here what you found out about this machine, I would be glad to learn about what you found out!
Regards,
Mitch
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch ears View Post
Hi, I have one G36.

Inputs:
The diode and the other inputs are the same levelwise (-10dBv I believe).
Pay attention to the heads: are they clean, are they in good state?
You can clean them with isopropilic alcool and a soft cotton (= non conducting).
Tapes:
I think you might want to check several tapes to have a variety of sounds to choose from depending the style of music you make.
But I have no tape brands / models to propose to you as I did't make a research about that: I don't use my machine very much, and not for mastering...
lamps:
As it has lots of lamps inside, that is something that should be checked also
(lamps have a limited lifetime). Thant can make your sound better or worse...
And the lamps have to warm up a little to work well.
About servicing:
I heard from a technician at Revox that these units G36 were made in the early 60' without following a perfectly exact drawing, so there might be differences between different units (each technician did mount the parts in a slightly different way)...
And of course there were different models, some of them beeing custom built for schools for example.
Some former technicians at Revox are working in a small company in the french speaking part of Switzerland : multiservice.ch
They might be of some help.

Enjoy your new machine!
And I you could share here what you found out about this machine, I would be glad to learn about what you found out!
Regards,
Mitch

Hi Mitch and thank you for your fast reply!

This machine is in a great condition. A Revox technician have fixed bias etc .

It is biased for RMG LPR 35 1/4" .

I have heard one acoustic guitar recording with two mics direct on tape and it sounds GREAT

It must be those valves and tape as well which is contributing to this kind of sound.
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
How do you sincronise G36 with DAW ? is there any plug in ?
The G36 is an old valve analogue machine so you can't "synchronise" it at all.

You have to record in real time from the DAW to the G36 and go back into the DAW the same way and accept all the speed variations that are a natural part of old analogue recorders.

Though, in many ways I found the G36 better than the later A77, certainly it did not overload so quickly - but I remember the G36 back in the early 1970's and it was an old and obsolete machine then. heh
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The G36 is an old valve analogue machine so you can't "synchronise" it at all.

You have to record in real time from the DAW to the G36 and go back into the DAW the same way and accept all the speed variations that are a natural part of old analogue recorders.

Though, in many ways I found the G36 better than the later A77, certainly it did not overload so quickly - but I remember the G36 back in the early 1970's and it was an old and obsolete machine then. heh

Hi John !

can i use G36 without a tape? Just to run a signal througt ins and outs ?

If yes ..Do you know how much of the signal is passing throught the valves ?

I´ve heard one recording with drums recorded with 5 mics API26 into a MYTEK/DAW/Stereomixed/eported and summed through G36 A77 and in the box as 3 different files.

G36 was all above the rest.. but i have no idea if those files touched the tape or just passed through the REVOX machines..
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi John !

I´ve heard one recording with drums recorded with 5 mics API26 into a MYTEK/DAW/Stereomixed/eported and summed through G36 A77 and in the box as 3 different files.

G36 was all above the rest.. but i have no idea if those files touched the tape or just passed through the REVOX machines..

It's been nearly 40 years since I last touched a G36!

I'm pretty sure it can be done OK - just plug in and monitor source, make sure you sort the levels OK.
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

There are upgrades available on line for the G36 such as changing the filament supply to DC and removing the monitor amp and speaker. lovely machines...
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear
In many DAWs you can set up a hardware insert. Monitor from the tape while recording and set up an automatic delay compensation as long as the delay is. This way, you should be able to use it almost like a plug-in tape emulator.
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

Have you looked here...?
http://www.revoxsammler.ch/Bedienung...20englisch.pdf
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Head

Thank you all!

Revox G36 is here and it sounds great!

I used DAV BG1 with two Oktava MK012 mod. XY and later A-B

into RADIO input.

VU meters are not calibrated well i didnt know that so when i checked both channel the highest peaks was exaktly the same but when we listened one channel R was a bit stronger than L.

How do you calibrate VU Maters on G36 ?

I can import two mono istead of one stereo to DAW and adjust the levels ..but how about when i want to export one stereo signal to G36 then i´ll get one side a bit lower.

What would you do when you are processing a stereo signals ?

Thanks!
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you calibrate VU Maters on G36 ?
Meter calibration is done with preset pots P8 and P9
You will find preset potentiometers P8 and P9 at the bottom left hand side of the schematics I have sent you.
Quite easy accessible.

The Free Information Society - Revox G36 Electronic Circuit Schematic

Please be aware of the fact that in equipment with tubes there are quite high voltages around !!

Did you check your playback levels with a test tape ? And did you calibrate the BIAS and recording levels ?
If that is done, calibrating the meters may not be needed anymore....
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Head

Hi

no i have no calibratet BIAS myself but a Revox technician and it is calibratet for RMG LPR 35 1/4" .

Is that what you mean when you asked about test tape ?

I´ll check L R SIGNAL levels with a signal from DAW later today.

Do i always need to adjust potentiometers for L and R when i want to record STEREO signals from DAW ?

Thanks!
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

If your Revox technician did his job properly the reproduce-, bias-, record levels should be aligned properly.
He also may have set the meter calibration.

The input levels for L and R normally are set once if you always use the same audio source.
And yes: Stereo is a two channel situation, so you will need to set two channels.
No matter where your stereo signal is coming from.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

If it was me, I wouldn't arbitrarily turn trimmer pots before I knew exactly where the problem lies, it could almost be anywhere. Every tape machine owner should own a reliable playback test tape if he or she wants any kind of accuracy and reliability in their recordings. After mechanical adjustments, the playback section alignment of the tape machine is paramount to proper recording, since the recording section is aligned in conjunction with the (already aligned) playback electronics.

Dennis
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

YOu need to get to your tech ASAP. That olden machine needs a check over.

The test bench will tell the story on what needs to be replaced on your machine. Most likely now it is giving very poor performance. That machine is old, old, old which means that it contains old, old, old parts that have dried out and are out of specification.

It is normal to change these old parts since they affect freq. response.

Modern high output tapes cannot run on your machine. LPR 35 is a 1 mil variant of RMGI SM911.

Your technician should have a test tape. The tape to use on your machine is RMGI SM911 at a conservative running level. Set up for IEC eq.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

who do you recommend in Chicago, Plush?
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

I use Harry Brotman of Brotman Musical Services. He is very thorough and very humorous.
We used to use John Peluso when he lived here.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I use Harry Brotman of Brotman Musical Services. He is very thorough and very humorous.
We used to use John Peluso when he lived here.
Thanks! I'll look him up... I have two G36s and a couple Tascams that need a bit o work...
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

Harry does not work on old tube tape recorders--only modern ones
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

They G36 is a great sounding machine and holds up remarkably well for such an old device. Phase warble above 10 K is not significantly worse than on my other tape machines that have a 20 years younger transports...

You really see that in the 60´s machines was still build to last...
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Can anyone recommend someone who could service/calibrate/align one of these in the U.K?..ideally London ??

Thanks.
Old 9th June 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
Can anyone recommend someone who could service/calibrate/align one of these in the U.K?..ideally London ??

Thanks.
Thear Technology is who I would go to. I think they are the official service agent.

Not in London, but not too far out.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Awesome !

Will give them a shout..Thanks v much John.
Old 28th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi John !

hi-) Just got my Revox G36. I have the same question. Did you have any chance to run a signal without tape but just electronic?
Thank you
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Great machine!!! I used it with a BASF broadcast tape, not a super extended FR, wonderful sounding.
Is your model 2 or 4-track?
Old 16th June 2018
Here for the gear

Is it possible to modify the G36 to 15ips?
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

There has been an "off-factory" 19/38 cm/s (7,5/15 ips) version from Revox.
It should be possible to modify your machine to a 7,5/15 ips model, but it will need a lot of work.
Depending on the model you have now, it may be possible to exchange the capstan shaft only.
(Revox part number 1.736.120-02 for 7,5/15/50Hz for the 4/8 pole capstan motor - 1.736.122-02 for a 6/12 pole capstan motor).
Otherwise you will have to exchange the complete capstan motor.
You also will have to change some parts in the eq circuitry in the electronics.
So yes: It can be done, but it is quite depending on the availability of the required parts for that modification.
If you do not have any experience with tube electronics ,I would leave the modify job to somebody that has the 'vintage' experience, to avoid disappointments.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search