The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maag EQ4 vs. NTI EQ3
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Addict

Maag EQ4 vs. NTI EQ3

I recently sold my NTI EQ3 and Im missing it already. Im thinking about getting a pair of Maag EQ4's to replace it. I heard that the EQ4 is missing the transformer that contributed to the sound of the EQ3. I compared the EQ4 rtas plugin to the EQ3 and it was nice but not in the same league. Any one know how the hardware Maag EQ4 holds up to the NTI EQ3?
Old 4th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brew View Post
I recently sold my NTI EQ3 and Im missing it already. Im thinking about getting a pair of Maag EQ4's to replace it. I heard that the EQ4 is missing the transformer that contributed to the sound of the EQ3. I compared the EQ4 rtas plugin to the EQ3 and it was nice but not in the same league. Any one know how the hardware Maag EQ4 holds up to the NTI EQ3?

Hi M.Brew!

I was surfing Gearslutz and saw your post and thought I could add some insight…

First off, thank you for being an original NTI EQ3 fan! Second, thank you for your interest in Maag Audio gear! Our original NTI/nightpro gear is getting hard to find.

On a more positive note, I think you will find our new Maag Audio gear even better... Thanks to higher tolerance components and improvements in the design. The EQ4 actually has more headroom than the EQ3!

Plugin Alliance has done a great job with the EQ4 plugin as well. You can actually setup a free account with them and demo the plugin in your own studio. https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p.../maag_eq4.html

I also recommend you check out the Tape Op review of the EQ4 by F. Reid Shippen. He describes the EQ4 as "Audio Photoshop." Tape Op Magazine > Reviews > Gear > EQ4 equalizer

To top it off, the Maag Audio EQ4 just won the 2012 Resolution Award for Quality and Innovation! http://resolution.nodecube.net/produ...ers%202012.pdf

I hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

-Cliff Maag

Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Addict

Cool, thanks for the info, I would really like to try these out sometime.
Happy New Year!
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I have used the old EQ3s a fair amount and I have owned an Nightpro PreQ3 for many years. I recently spent some time playing with the new EQ4. While I did not get a chance to do direct A-B comparisons, my feeling was that the new versions really do have a lot of the magic that made so many of us go crazy about the old units.
Old 12th January 2013
Gear Nut

I would love to hear more contributions to this thread.

I'm looking for an "air" type device. I have heard the nti eq3. It is magical, the air band is incredible. Anybody have experience with both? If the maag eq4 air band sounds just like the nti eq3 air band I'm all over it. Anyone with experience? Thanks.
Old 12th January 2013
Gear Nut

One other question...

Is the "air" band on the nti the same as the 40k boost on the maag? It is selectable on the maag, but not on the nti.
Old 12th January 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrobins View Post
One other question...

Is the "air" band on the nti the same as the 40k boost on the maag? It is selectable on the maag, but not on the nti.
The air options on the Preq3 are: 2.5, 5, 10, 20 & 40, with a variable gain knob.
Old 12th January 2013
I've seen schematics, pcb's and stuff available on the web if you can solder.
Any hi frequency shelf EQ can be modified into a 40k hz "air band" with usually only one cap change. Just decrease the value about 3 or 4 times from the stock value if it's set to 10k hz. Mount a switch and you too can change frequencies.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear
I have never heard the NTI EQ3
But I can say the EQ4 have a unique sound with uncommon beautiful highs. I personnaly use it in mastering setup along with a Buzz Req 2.2 and a Bax... Love it!I
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I would love to hear more contributions to this thread.

I'm looking for an "air" type device. I have heard the nti eq3. It is magical, the air band is incredible. Anybody have experience with both? If the maag eq4 air band sounds just like the nti eq3 air band I'm all over it. Anyone with experience? Thanks.
Thanks for the kudos on the AIR BAND®! The demand for our original NTI and Nightpro gear is exactly why we decided to bring back our original gear as Maag Audio. Our NTI EQ3’s AIR BAND is centered at 10K while the AIR BAND in our new gear (Maag Audio EQ4 and PREQ4) offers 10K and four other bands at 2.5K, 5K, 20K, and 40K.

Not only does the AIR BAND in the EQ4 and PREQ4 relec its predecessory, but it also has higher tolerance/quality components to help it sound even better. I can honestly say you will be blown away by the new gear if you think the original EQ3 is “magical” and “incredible.”

-Cliff Maag Jr
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks for the reply.

Does Maag have a standalone unit in the works? I'd rather not get into the 500 series for just 1 piece of gear.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Does Maag have a standalone unit in the works? I'd rather not get into the 500 series for just 1 piece of gear.
Buy 2 and rack them in a single unit 2 space 500 unit. Instant stereo awesomeness.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

Is the EQ4 more like the EQ3D then the EQ3?
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

Wow, this thread brings back memories of my formative years in a Utah studio.

Cliff! You may not remember me but I used to work at Megaton Studios in Orem with Maxx Payne (Darryl) and Luciano Pesci. I think we had almost every piece of Nightpro gear you made back in those days (late 90's) and needless to say, we were all great fans of it. All of my early recordings were made using the PreQ preamps (we had three quad boxes) and the EQ3D we had I used on anything imaginable because it simply sounded great on everything. I also used to come to your studio occasionally for workshops when I was attending recording classes at UVSC (UVU). I took a lot away from those workshops and consider them vital to my progression as an engineer. Thanks for that!

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a fan boy, but all NTI/Nightpro and I'm sure Maag audio hardware is of the utmost quality! There has never been a box produced by you guys that I've not liked and I wish you guys many successes in the future.

Cheers
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
Wow, this thread brings back memories of my formative years in a Utah studio.

Cliff! You may not remember me but I used to work at Megaton Studios in Orem with Maxx Payne (Darryl) and Luciano Pesci. I think we had almost every piece of Nightpro gear you made back in those days (late 90's) and needless to say, we were all great fans of it. All of my early recordings were made using the PreQ preamps (we had three quad boxes) and the EQ3D we had I used on anything imaginable because it simply sounded great on everything. I also used to come to your studio occasionally for workshops when I was attending recording classes at UVSC (UVU). I took a lot away from those workshops and consider them vital to my progression as an engineer. Thanks for that!

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a fan boy, but all NTI/Nightpro and I'm sure Maag audio hardware is of the utmost quality! There has never been a box produced by you guys that I've not liked and I wish you guys many successes in the future.

Cheers
Of course I remember you guys! Crazy how the years fly by isn't it? Thanks so much for supporting our gear!
Old 25th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maagaudio View Post
Hi M.Brew!

I was surfing Gearslutz and saw your post and thought I could add some insight…

First off, thank you for being an original NTI EQ3 fan! Second, thank you for your interest in Maag Audio gear! Our original NTI/nightpro gear is getting hard to find.

On a more positive note, I think you will find our new Maag Audio gear even better... Thanks to higher tolerance components and improvements in the design. The EQ4 actually has more headroom than the EQ3!

Plugin Alliance has done a great job with the EQ4 plugin as well. You can actually setup a free account with them and demo the plugin in your own studio. https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p.../maag_eq4.html

I also recommend you check out the Tape Op review of the EQ4 by F. Reid Shippen. He describes the EQ4 as "Audio Photoshop." Tape Op Magazine > Reviews > Gear > EQ4 equalizer

To top it off, the Maag Audio EQ4 just won the 2012 Resolution Award for Quality and Innovation! http://resolution.nodecube.net/produ...ers%202012.pdf

I hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

-Cliff Maag

No comment about the transformer question eh? Do these have transformers?
Old 25th July 2013
Maag EQ4's sound really amazing. Super Clear, Firming and very Tight. Of course the "Air Band" is like heaven but I think this EQ has very nice action overall with LOW distortion and incredibly ZERO phase smear!

Very nice to strap a pair across the mix! I didn't open em up to check to see if they had trannies, but judging by the weight of the module, I don't think they do. Really don't mind either way since they sound so good.
Old 25th July 2013
Gear Addict

The NTI EQs were, to me, the original hardware linear phase EQs. At least they sounded that way.

Badass stuff all round.

Cheers
Old 25th July 2013
Gear Head

The EQ3, EQ3-D, EQ4, and new EQ2 do not have transformers. I apologize for not responding to that question originally.
Old 25th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maagaudio View Post
The EQ3, EQ3-D, EQ4, and new EQ2 do not have transformers. I apologize for not responding to that question originally.
No worries man. Nice products. I'm still pretty interested in grabbing some! I dig the plug enough to consider the hardware, that's for sure!

Sent from my slutzapp.
Old 12th October 2013
Any plans in 2014 for a 19" version?
Thanks.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
Any plans in 2014 for a 19" version?
Thanks.
+1
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Maag EQ4's sound really amazing. Super Clear, Firming and very Tight. Of course the "Air Band" is like heaven but I think this EQ has very nice action overall with LOW distortion and incredibly ZERO phase smear!

Very nice to strap a pair across the mix! I didn't open em up to check to see if they had trannies, but judging by the weight of the module, I don't think they do. Really don't mind either way since they sound so good.
100000000% true!!!
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think the Maag EQ4 is almost like an EQ equivalent to an expander or something...you get more of everything without phase issues and with some cool contouring when you boost. It's not really a surgical cutting tool though, I think of it as something to sweeten the pot.

I wouldn't use it for everything, but it's very well made and thought out. Unique for sure. I haven't ever used any NTI products but I did very much like the EQ4 after putting it through it's paces. I wish I'd had a pair around when I tried it at home...but I get the gist of what it would sound like from the plug in on a bus. If that's your thing I would just get 'em and see if they measure up to what you're missing. If not you can always flip them fast since they're popular.

Obviously Cliff Maag stands behind his product to post on here directly too...so that should tell you that he at least cares about his customers getting that sound in a new iteration.
Old 28th October 2013
Chiming in with some more love for Maag/NTI. Like everyone else, I love the Air band, but I equally love the 40Hz band. I know it SAYS 40Hz, but it's much more than that. I use it in places and on instruments where I would never boost 40Hz. Super tight.
Old 28th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
+1
+1 for a 19" too for the mastering guys
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Addict

I have two Maag EQ4 in my API 1608, and those two channels are my "holy" channels. Everything you put thru there comes out just a bit more pleasing and well-sorted, so to speak. If I had to work on a 1608 with just one type of EQ in each channel, it definitely woukd be the Maags! Those are sweet as butter, not the right thing to shape your Metal-bassdrum perhaps, but on acoustic instruments and even on synths they just excell everything else. I did a quick direct comparison with my GML 9500 mastering EQ, when I bought those: the Maags are in the same ballpark! Of course not so versatile, but regarding the pureness of sound top notch! Only thing missing (on both EQs) would be a HPF that sounds exactly as sweet as the rest of the frequency-bands!
Old 7th December 2013
Gear Addict

Chiming in
I have a pair of Maag EQ4 and I agree they are Holy. HOLY SH_T! These are great! I couldn't imagine not having these. The air band opens up the top like a dream...like turning on the defogger in your car when the windshield is foggy. Amazing. The sub band is absolutely great. BIG. Not silly, loose mud but clean, useable bottom. All the bands are useable and sweet but the sub and air are worth the price alone.
A bump at 40hz and sub and a dip at 650hz on almost any lifeless track can be magic. They ALWAYS end up on my 2 bus because I've already printed the other tracks I used them on.
Great product.
I will buy more of these.
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Addict

bump this thread for any news about a stereo 19" rack version of maag eq4 !!

anyone knows something ?
Old 1st February 2017
Here for the gear

I'm completely new to this pre-amp NTI Nightpro PreQ3 - a buddy of mine knows of someone selling theirs. I've been looking at the vintech x73i and the UA 6176 (I know these are 2 different flavors) but was interested to hear any input on this NTI PreQ3 and how it compares in terms of sonic tone. I'm recording rock (doubling guitar tracks), male vocals and some acoustic (think of bands like Blind Melon, Foo Fighters and the Black Crowes and you then have an idea of the main type of music I'm recording). Mic locker is solid - 2 Shure 57's, AKG 414 BULS, AEA N22 and an sE Electronics Voodoo VR1 - interface is a PreSonus VSL1818. The mission is to be able to record professional grade guitar and vocal tracks at home to save $$ in the studio (and do drums, percussion and mixing in the studio). Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search