The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neve 2254/64/33609 clones
Old 21st October 2012
Neve 2254/64/33609 clones

I'm checking the options for setting up an audition of a few contenders in the 2254/64/33609 style. My main, but of course not only, interest is to see if I could find an alternative to Chandler Zener for drum parallel comp (medium to severe crushing).

So which copies/clones/'in style of' (fairly close please) are there? No plugins please. Please no discussion about the differences of the 2254/64/33609. I know there are differences but I don't care. Just would like to gather a few for a nice shootout.

The brands I've found:
AMS/Neve
AML
Heritage audio
BAE
Vintech
Chandler
Vintage design
Golden age

Are there more?

I've searched the forum quite a lot. Please redirect if I've missed something.

Also I'd be grateful for any comments from people that has done some serious A/B with or without the originals.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Maniac

Heritage Audio 2264Es will be at AES in San Francisco next week for anyone to have a listen. You're welcome!
Old 21st October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Audio View Post
Heritage Audio 2264Es will be at AES in San Francisco next week for anyone to have a listen. You're welcome!
Though I'm a serious gearslut that trip is a bit too long...
A question, while you're here:
I've got a rack (Shep - very well built) filled with AMS/Neve pres. Recently had a tech install attenuators for all 8 channels. It was done the 'proper' way via pins on the connectors for the modules. Will that affect the use of your compressors? I rarely use the Neve modules while mixing so perhaps I could just swap for compressors when mixing?
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
Though I'm a serious gearslut that trip is a bit too long...
A question, while you're here:
I've got a rack (Shep - very well built) filled with AMS/Neve pres. Recently had a tech install attenuators for all 8 channels. It was done the 'proper' way via pins on the connectors for the modules. Will that affect the use of your compressors? I rarely use the Neve modules while mixing so perhaps I could just swap for compressors when mixing?
When plugging the compressors, the attenuators are out of the circuit, so no worries , they would simply do nothing
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Hej Hej Paul! heh
Be sure to check out the BAE 10DC, all class A, designed by Avedis..it's freaking awesome! I just got two!
It is avalaible as a 19" rack version and as a 10xx module.. very reasonably priced too!

Hej då,

Cheu
Old 22nd October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Audio View Post
When plugging the compressors, the attenuators are out of the circuit, so no worries , they would simply do nothing
Thx! Just as I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Hej Hej Paul! heh
Be sure to check out the BAE 10DC, all class A, designed by Avedis..it's freaking awesome! I just got two!
It is avalaible as a 19" rack version and as a 10xx module.. very reasonably priced too!

Hej då,

Cheu
Thanks for the tip! The BAE is def on my list.
Suddenly there are a lot of this style comp in all kinds of formats, 19", 10XX module and LB!..
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Heritage Audio 2264Es

what did you change to the perfect design of a 2264?
Old 23rd October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Heritage Audio 2264Es

That's a question AND a claim. Politician style polemics!..heh
BTW, while waiting HA bring us the long version answer to your question, did you check the short version in their presentation of the product? '2254 audio path (A/B) + 2264 controls'.
Old 23rd October 2012
Deleted 651cf92
Black lion audio do a clone on the 33609.

Not sure how close it is to the original, but I would like to try one oneday as the neve is way out of my price range
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurelletson View Post
Black lion audio do a clone on the 33609.

Not sure how close it is to the original, but I would like to try one oneday as the neve is way out of my price range
I'm also interested to hear comments from real users. Common space BLA AGB and 33609 share, differences etc.

Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So which copies/clones/'in style of' (fairly close please) are there? ...The brands I've found:
AMS/Neve
FWIW, I've been using a pair of AMS Neve 2254R and 33609JD (with mod) for few years now, and have been more than happy. I'm familiar with their vintage equivalents, but haven't chanced to have them side by side - but regardless, I'm not sure I'd call them clones as such - they qualify as reissues in my book.
Old 23rd October 2012
The BAE 10DC is slamming! It is right on the money, and has thickly populated tone that is a very nice color. Hefty and Dense, punchy in the bottom and low mid with a soft high end, that sits stuff inside a mix wonderfully. Very versatile, you can do a lot of different things with it too, not a one trick pony by any stretch and these sound awesome on a mix bus for that last touch of music glue.
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Heritage Audio 2264Es

http://www.heritageaudio.net/product-6-2264e.php
Old 25th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The BAE 10DC is slamming!
I agree... The 10 DC was many years in the making and is a fantastic piece of gear.
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

I am still digging the Chandler LTD2 - thick, lush tone with dense, warm lower mids. Just like you would expect from a Neve-type comp. I love it on bass!

That said, for parallel drums my search has come to an end with the infamous Rockruepel Comp.One...
Old 25th October 2012
Thx for the tips everybody! I've actually started my hunt by playing with a beautiful trio of original 2254s. Believe I've already given up the plan to use it for drum parallel comp though. The Zener is hard to beat. But today I recalled a mix and put the 2254 on ac guitar. Great stuff... Will continue playing a few days and then hopefully get to know two or three clones, which are about half the price per channel...
Old 22nd January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The BAE 10DC is slamming! It is right on the money, and has thickly populated tone that is a very nice color. Hefty and Dense, punchy in the bottom and low mid with a soft high end, that sits stuff inside a mix wonderfully. Very versatile, you can do a lot of different things with it too, not a one trick pony buy any stretch and these sound awesome on a mix bus for that last touch of music glue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I agree... The 10 DC was many years in the making and is a fantastic piece of gear.
Got my pair today and already after the first test ride couldn't agree more. Love the flexibility having more choices of attack times. I'm very surprised there isn't more talk about these... People even got tired of Cheu doing the Don Quijote...but I read ya Cheu!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

i have just bought 6 Heritage Audio 2264e and i can tell you that these modules are absolutely amazing. better of all neve comp i have ever used like 33609, Ams 2264a. On par with 2254 but with functionality of 2264.
Do yourself a favor and check it!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got my pair today and already after the first test ride couldn't agree more. Love the flexibility having more choices of attack times. I'm very surprised there isn't more talk about these... People even got tired of Cheu doing the Don Quijote...but I read ya Cheu!
Ahahahah! I know..

10DC is great, and I was probably one of the first in Europe to buy a pair (and for sure in Switzerland), when I heard them I was floored.. literally.. That's why I wanted to share my findings, since I was one of the first and few.

They might not be for everybody, as everything else on this planet though, but hell they sound good !

Don Quijote (or Don Chischotte, as we say it in french..dunno why though) is a cool way of putting it.. ahahahah!

Enjoy yours!

Cheu

(I don't work for BAE or Avedis, I simply love the guys and the stuff that they do).
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Okay, the ones I've used enough to comment on are the AMS Neve 33609 J and JD, Black Lion AGB, BAE 10DC and original 33609s, 2264s and my 83065s (all the same comp in different housings).

The AMS comps are good (though I never used them side by side I remember thinking the JD was a clear improvement over the J), but while the compression characteristics were dead on the amplifier circuit left a bit to be desired. The Black Lion is pretty awesome for its price range, but doesn't really sound much of anything like a Neve comp. The BAE 10DC is one of my favorite current production compressors. I wouldn't say it sounds much like a 2264, but it definitely sounds amazing, and it's got more vintage Neve flavor than the AMS comps by miles. If I had the cash right now I think I'd buy four of them.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
My main, but of course not only, interest is to see if I could find an alternative to Chandler Zener for drum parallel comp (medium to severe crushing).
Hi Paul
You know the 2254 doesn't do 'crushing' by any means, right?
Certainly not in my experience using the AMS Neve Reissue. I would describe it as sounding more on the 'smooth' side of things.

Old 24th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUVMUSIC View Post
Hi Paul
You know the 2254 doesn't do 'crushing' by any means, right?
Certainly not in my experience using the AMS Neve Reissue. I would describe it as sounding more on the 'smooth' side of things.

Thx m8! Well yes, that's what I wrote in post #16, after playing with a trio of original 2254s. Yet I managed to smash drums pretty well when I did the first test ride with the 10DCs the other day. I got them in a middle of a current live album mix. All channels/outboard kind of set already so I'll have to get to know these newcomers later.
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

So which copies/clones/'in style of' (fairly close please) are there? No plugins please. Please no discussion about the differences of the 2254/64/33609. I know there are differences but I don't care. Just would like to gather a few for a nice shootout.

The brands I've found:
AMS/Neve
AML
Heritage audio
BAE
Vintech
Chandler
Vintage design
Golden age

Are there more?

I've searched the forum quite a lot. Please redirect if I've missed something.

Also I'd be grateful for any comments from people that has done some serious A/B with or without the originals.

Thanks!
Paul
I saw this:
Neve 33609 Stereo Compressor Clone

any update?
Old 18th February 2016
I built a pair of AML 2254 (Audio Maintenance Limited Kits) a year ago and I've used in every mix since then. Vocals, drums, brass, 2bus...everything.

Didn't compare it with original but I worked with Neve gear and it definitely has the same vibe and texture: dense and creamy
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb A View Post
I saw this:

any update?
Wow does that thing not look ANYTHING like the inside of my rev b 33609!

I wonder what changed...

Personally very interested to hear the heritage m - both the 2254 and their 8173 modules too - but getting demo units from the uk dist seems hard with a few unanswered emails...
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb A View Post
I saw this:

any update?
Hi

Poorly researched description on the page... I left Neve in 1985 and was involved in the design of that unit and the 33610, 11 and 12... so claiming it was designed in the 1990's is BS.

The original used gold plated Elma switches which last a lifetime and reveal why the units were expensive... this one uses plastic bodied and shaft switches that I doubt would last as long.

Another one on the knock off Neve design band wagon....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search