MICROTECH GEFELL M 930
Old 30th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
From MG this morning
Thank you for keeping us thus updated!

[Edit:] Good thing the technical specifications are included, because the description is, as usual, mostly useless ("This microphone is ideally suited for [Everything, and Everything, and Everything. And Everything else.]") and even misleading ("The electronic impedance converter uses a newly perfected circuit topology. This design reduces the noise floor to an extremely low level while also raising the maximum output capability." Newly perfected... ten years ago, for the M930, which has the same self-noise; it is great, yes, but it isn't new, so why pretend it is?).
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
Thank you for keeping us thus updated!

[Edit:] Good thing the technical specifications are included, because the description is, as usual, mostly useless ("This microphone is ideally suited for [Everything, and Everything, and Everything. And Everything else.]") and even misleading ("The electronic impedance converter uses a newly perfected circuit topology. This design reduces the noise floor to an extremely low level while also raising the maximum output capability." Newly perfected... ten years ago, for the M930, which has the same self-noise; it is great, yes, but it isn't new, so why pretend it is?).
Not sure If I'd suggest this manufactures opinion is misleading but hey - it seems the written word doesn't translate very well. I would gander that MG considers this amplifier design "new" becasue its not something taken from anything "old", and being that they are a company strongly rooted in old world tradition, becasue they are able to develop/design/create new technologies I would think it is something they pride themselves on, and nothing really to be used for marketing fodder or coddling doorways towards new shiny objects, like so many other rag tag outfits brainwash you with. Plainly, this is a very innovative design that I think MG feels sets itself apart from what they are known for, which is why they mention the technology in this manor.

I for one, can't blame their overt enthusiasm towards the products they design, and will leave it up for test to determine how I feel about what they are doing and the sonic result of the product. Forgive me if I sound a tad "daft" here - but what is ultimately gained from MG's words other than a basic premise of the product and plausibility of using it. Its pretty clear the M1030 is almost the same exact thing as the M930, [minus the obvious] but I am going out on a limb and use my microphone decoder ring to guess that it will sound subjectively different. If any gear slutter feels the need to subjectively test this or any of them [upon request] please reach out and I will try me best.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
was there a street price posted anywhere? i'd be game for a test, but i'm sure i'm too broke
Old 2nd July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a m940 for sale. PM me if you are interested
Old 7th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post
I have an older Gefell in for evaluation... Not sure the model number, but it looks like the newer UMT70's, but it DOES have a transformer, although it is cardioid only.

I love this thing! I wish I could remember the model number, it just says "M71" on the front, but I don't think that is the model number.

I heard about that one when I was looking for a UMT70S.
Gefell earlier made one just like UMT70S but with cardiod only (and transformer),
I think it was called UM70. M71 might be the capsule/microphone head, I believe.
S=multipattern (Omni, eight and cardiod), T=Transformerless.
UMT70S is transformerless version of the older UM70S, the later I havent´t tried yet. Fantastic mics.

/Becke
Old 10th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I havent been in this forum for a long time, but it takes a considerable ammount of time to get your filters up and decide what opinions are worth it.

To get back on topic, i was about to pull the trigger on a pair of 930s... my first serious pair of LDCs for general use (have other things for vocals)... I wanted to go for the transformer version because everything i heard with and without trannys, i liked more with them inside... Not too much to complain about extended lows, but i wonder if the T version loses the natural high frequency response of the 930 TLM model

I have a nomenclature mixup tho, since Gefell marks the transformer version M930-T , and it has been said previously that T stands for transformerless
Old 10th July 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The UM70s and new UMT70 are not close, IME, having had both here. The new ones are respectable, if overpriced, mid forward LDCs. The old ones have mojo...but, according to Tracy Korby all have a tendency towards moisture sensitivity. Maybe the cap being closer to the grille...maybe that they don't have a huge proximity effect, so people like to get right up on'em...don't know. He cleaned mine up really well before recently pulling a Houdini. I baby it now.
Old 10th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey Pliplo, it's all good the T is for transformer in that case.

In this case it's 'Ts' not 'T' alone.

The T mics are almost all mics that previously had a transformer so they are now denoted as transformerless (T), and this new 'Ts' marking is on a mic that has previously always been transformerless to denote it now has a transformer (Ts).

It's confusing, but, it makes sense.
Old 10th July 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If the 'T' is in the prefix, it denotes 'transformerless' - IE: UM vs UMT.

It is used where older versions of the mic. used to have a transformer.

The M930 was always transformerless. So the new M930Ts has the designation 'Ts' *after* the model number indicating it *does* have a transformer.

I hope this makes it clear.

The M930Ts is currently being reviewed for Sound On Sound - the reviewer actually owns a pair of the M930 and will, no doubt, make the comparison in his review.

No idea when it will get published, though, all I know is that he will be writing the review during the next couple of weeks.
Old 11th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The M930 was always transformerless. So the new M930Ts has the designation 'Ts' *after* the model number indicating it *does* have a transformer.

I hope this makes it clear.
as mud

so T means transformerless except where it means transformer
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
as mud

haha, german nomenclature at its finest
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
as mud

No -

T means transformerless

Ts means transformer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No -

T means transformerless

Ts means transformer
That's very logical !
Old 30th January 2015
would like to hear some vocal samples as well on m930 and mt71s
Old 30th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
would like to hear some vocal samples as well on m930 and mt71s
Include the M1030!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Include the M1030!
Agreed - the M 1030 is basically an M 930 in a larger body.

The larger body changes the sound - you can see it in the frequency response and polar-patterns.

The data sheets are here:-
M 930
M 1030
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Besides the slightly different tuning on the capsule the headgrill acoustics give the M1030 a more pleasing/flattering tone in the midrange
Quote:
Agreed - the M 1030 is basically an M 930 in a larger body.

The larger body changes the sound - you can see it in the frequency response and polar-patterns.

The data sheets are here:-
M 930
M 1030
so would u say m1030 is slightly better or is it just different.?
Old 31st January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
so would u say m1030 is slightly better or is it just different.?
Just different.

Some people like a larger, more impressive, mic., so the M 1030 has a larger body, bit it's the same as the M 930 internally. The larger body interacts differently with the sound waves than the smaller M 930 body - but it's different, rather than better or worse.
Old 31st January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love this close mic'd on toms. Natural, punchy and smooth. Handles the high SPL fine. And small so you can keep it away from the sticks. But make sure the drummer isn't too wild.
Old 12th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Besides the slightly different tuning on the capsule the headgrill acoustics give the M1030 a more pleasing/flattering tone in the midrange

Oh dear…I better sell my 930 and get the new one…because I don't want my tone in the midrange to be less flattering!
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKirrk View Post

Oh dear…I better sell my 930 and get the new one…because I don't want my tone in the midrange to be less flattering!
You have added no relevent info here,
I posted my experience,
Have you heard the mic and compared the sound?

Last edited by Doc Mixwell; 12th February 2015 at 03:35 AM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKirrk View Post

Just ignore the salesmen around here and you might just find some good information.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepit View Post

Just ignore the salesmen around here and you might just find some good information.
I'll go ahead and assume you have it out for me too,
No biggie,

My comment was not made from a sales perspective.

Just because I sell gear doesn't mean I can't have a set of ears to use and listen.

That was my post....About LISTENING

Maybe try it out sometime,

Instead of searching for "good information"....
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I am surprised many did not comment on the SOS review of the 930 and how it compared against the TLM 103

"I compared the M930 directly against a TLM103, and my first impression was that these two mics sounded very similar indeed — which was a surprise given their relative sizes (and prices). The M930 seemed to have a slightly smoother and more extended bass end — although the proximity effect obviously has a large influence on this aspect of the sound — but overall it was quite hard to tell these mics apart. Moving around the microphones I found that the M930 had a slightly wider working area than the Neumann, principally because the upper mid-range pattern didn't narrow as much, and slightly better rear rejection, especially at low frequencies."
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a 930 and it is great and sounds absolutely nothing like a 103 which. I've used lots

I am not buying a 1030 because MR says the mids are more flattering...or the response is extended...or it's the holy grail...or his mom told she could hear the difference from the kitchen...
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Previously on the Walking Dead...a thread from 2006! it just won't die!.
the 930 is a great mic, I have a matched pair and so far haven't found anything the 930 doesn't sound great on.
But I also find nothing wrong with a 103l. We keep a 13 yr old 103 permanently boomed in our VO booth running thru an
Amek 9098 and the thing sounds fantastic.
Old 13th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

40 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sound on Sound gives a comparison between the TLM 103, M930 and 1030. You can hear the mid push on the TLM 103, the smoother character of the M930 that is similar though different enough to make me really want to add this microphone . The 1030 seems to have a slightly less low end on the voice and acoustic sample which is also nice. For me though, I like the M930 the best especially with it's lower price over the 1030

Microtech Gefell M1030 | MEdia

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 13th February 2015 at 03:29 AM..
Old 14th February 2015 | Show parent
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was actually surprised at how bright the 930 sounded in that VK mic shootout that came out recently. Not the greatest source tracks by any stretch but in that comparison at least and to me, it was one of the least impressive mics in the lot.I was quite surprised

Last edited by Baz; 14th February 2015 at 08:05 PM..
Old 14th February 2015 | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just different.

Some people like a larger, more impressive, mic., so the M 1030 has a larger body, bit it's the same as the M 930 internally. The larger body interacts differently with the sound waves than the smaller M 930 body - but it's different, rather than better or worse.
The look of the mic thing is funny. I'm a diehard UM70 guy and people are always so unimpressed with it...until the hear it!

M930s are great mics. Use them a lot. Would love to try a 1030, I'm sure they're good too. Gefell just kicks butt, imo.
📝 Reply