The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon 480L or an AMS RMX 16... Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 2nd September 2012
Here for the gear

Care to argue with me?

I have the 480L and the surround card and listening to the stereo output of the HD algorithm as I am writing this.....

sorry..
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

No......that is not the point I'm trying to make - Griesinger made a point of the HD Cart Being used specifically in 4 Channels - if your using it in 2 channels - what can I say, you must not get the man's vision!

Having a 480L in 2012 make you nothing more then someone with more to lose then anyone else, HSP, IC's Rom's anytime your running them your gambling! Simple as that! If you've got the money- cool - though don't hack arms off people whom used them for 20 years when they are just your brand new toy! and adding to that DISCOVERED!
Old 2nd September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
No......that is not the point I'm trying to make - Griesinger made a point of the HD Cart Being used specifically in 4 Channels - if your using it in 2 channels - what can I say, you must not get the man's vision!
!
Of course you can speak for him, I respectfully bow. Actually there is a reason the cart is called Surround/HD. The HD stands for High Density. Combining the stereo rear and stereo front resulting in a reverb with increased density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Having a 480L in 2012 make you nothing more then someone with more to lose then anyone else, HSP, IC's Rom's anytime your running them your gambling! Simple as that! If you've got the money- cool - though don't hack arms off people whom used them for 20 years when they are just your brand new toy! and adding to that DISCOVERED!
I assure you acquiring a 480L was motivated by more than simply offending you. And before you judge anyone I was into musical production well before the introduction of the 480L in 1986. I first started to use one in 1989, Therefore no one is hacking besides perhaps you and your self serving condescendance.

Lastly, yes money is really not a problem. Being good at what you do tends to generate enough for your need
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodevices View Post
Care to argue with me?

I have the 480L and the surround card and listening to the stereo output of the HD algorithm as I am writing this.....sorry..

So maybe read this on the 480L HD Cart: And Please It's A Cart - not Card. Furthermore understand that this was in the year 2000 when we all expected DVD and 96khz to rain down alongside the Digital revolution and it never happened - to see and read the actual man's intentions. That is what I'm saying! (In a round about way!) Look I'm 100% happy for you to seek my advice, take it or not, argue your point, think you know best, or not....makes no difference to me as we all know a 480L is a really hot potato, not like a Fairchild or Urie, seriously the parts are near gone -nothing - so much was custom that many are awaiting martin's relab LX480L as a alternative. Unfortunately I don't mix ITB and I still have M/L300 PCM80' x 4 and PCM 91's PCM 41's PCM 42' Prime-time II's, etc....Eventides, your head would spin! And I mean it.....! Seriously....Good for you if you have the bucks & software and the grit to get into a 480L when we've all dived out though... The endless supply to keep a 480L for more then 6 months, if you get to 2 Years I'll buy a bottle of Shampoo for you - though your not the 1st & won't be the last to get a 480L or 224/X/XL these things are down to near 300M/L prices - that is saying something!

Read On! https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1346586972
Old 2nd September 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for the link but I have read it several times in the past years. As well as Mr Griesinger's personal website that is loaded with quality content, a lot of which is too advanced for the time I can allow.

As for gear I own 64RU of stuff, the cheapest being an Apogee Big Ben.

What could make head spin is the previous sound installation under my care, valued at over 6 million USD$, using 19 Middle Atlantic 48RU racks, over 12000 tie lines, with an LCS system with 192ins to 124 outs + a 48 tracks FX playback system.

My humble home equipment despite its 64RU is no head spinner, although still very cool. A 6000 with all software options also chimes in along with a 300L and many others.

I have "discovered" and bought a PCM60 in 1986, a 70 in 1987, an SPT in 1989... So similar to you I am a long time hardcore user/fan of Lexicon products.

I have done musical mixing for live planetary feeds for the first time in 2001, although most people I know are better engineers than I am, I have been around still.

Please don't judge without knowing.
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the link but I have read it several times in the past years. As well as Mr Griesinger's personal website that is loaded with quality content, a lot of which is too advanced for the time I can allow.

As for gear I own 64RU of stuff, the cheapest being an Apogee Big Ben.
What could make head spin is the previous sound installation under my care, valued at over 6 million USD$, using 19 Middle Atlantic 48RU racks, over 12000 tie lines, with an LCS system with 192ins to 124 outs + a 48 tracks FX playback system.My humble home equipment despite its 64RU is no head spinner, although still very cool. A 6000 with all software options also chimes in along with a 300L and many others. I have "discovered" and bought a PCM60 in 1986, a 70 in 1987, an SPT in 1989... So similar to you I am a long time hardcore user/fan of Lexicon products. I have done musical mixing for live planetary feeds for the first time in 2001, although most people I know are better engineers than I am,(I don't wonder why Eric.) I have been around still.Please don't judge without knowing.
The problem is I judge you as you PM'd me numerous times without knowing jack about a 480L Eric, (You asked for my advice and I gave it!) Eric if you had a 224XL I might respect you - though after all the Pm's and a 480L.....sorry no points whatsoever! You've posted about it for a near 10 days - and the road is slowly ending, why - no one cares Eric, no one gives a damn. If a company employs you to make such critical 64 million Buck decisions and you bought a 480L over a Bricasti or PCM/92/96 Sorry - You did the company, and that is indeed bad! Simple as that -a 480L just your fever of wanting a 480L Eric?

Sad!
Old 2nd September 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks TLB

I pm'd you 3 times and half the info I got from you was dead wrong:

1) The AES card keeps losing synch: wrong
2) The Lexicon 20/20AD can be used to convert the 480 to AES: wrong, the 20/20AD does not have SDIF ports
3) The output assignment fo the unit as explained by you was also wrong.

Note that only bring this up because your arrogance and ego are bigger than the issue.

This time you have bitten more than you can chew. Keep on bragging, you will not hear from me again

It must be very lonely being you.

Farewell
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Martin, he used the the early betas and, fyi, as soon as it was available the latest as well.

to my ears the software has unrealistic sustain and the hardware sounds natural and sits nicely in the mix. i have tested the hardware vs the plugin as well and i didnt just sell it yet i hope others do, though, for a ridiculous price
Not entirely correct - that test is from 07/2010. The latest version with internal distortion and parameter matching is from 2011. As I said - it is NOT from the current version.

After the release alot of 480L owners wanted a perfect matched emulation - the first release was not a perfect match, since many of the values on the Larc doesn't match reallife values (a cutoff around 10K shown on the Larc is nowhere near a cut at 10K etc.). I decided to match the 480L parameters completely including internal distortion at levels above 160 (Random Hall).

As I said again - please download the current version (or LX480Complete) and test your self - you can get the plugins for free
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Buy Altiverb 7 they are all there for you to use
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

sorry, but altiverb is as close to a 480l as new zealand is to greenland.

thanks martin, obviously there have been more revisions than i could keep track of. i will download and test again. "a cutoff around 10K shown on the Larc is nowhere near a cut at 10K etc" thats exactly my sentiment when i tested that earlier version, too much highend. will give it a shot
Old 3rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks TLB

I pm'd you 3 times and half the info I got from you was dead wrong:

1) The AES card keeps losing synch: wrong
2) The Lexicon 20/20AD can be used to convert the 480 to AES: wrong, the 20/20AD does not have SDIF ports
3) The output assignment fo the unit as explained by you was also wrong.
Note that only bring this up because your arrogance and ego are bigger than the issue. This time you have bitten more than you can chew. Keep on bragging, you will not hear from me again. It must be very lonely being you.
Farewell
Eric, yet again you show your lack of knowledge quite clearly by dismissing a Unit such as the 2020-AD which indeed would enable you to use the 480L Analog Out's and get a great syncronization, conversion and most importantly full digital control with no HSP board Fixes or Services and you'd gain the AES/SPDIF Options Including a Compressor section - all sorts of Lexicon fun - again as I told you - these units often go for ridiculously cheap money on the massive world wide sales Bin called ebay! Eric yet again your incorrect regarding the LFI-10 - I gave you those two options with a unit listed for sale at that exact moment on eBay for a Lexicon LFI-10 that you could of picked up for $125.00 Bucks! In which the 480L DE9 or SDIF Connector is installed thus facilitating SPDIF & AES Operation, the 20/20-AD is another matter previously discussed on it's own regarding the 480L Analog Outs. Though well done you Eric, I know of know-one whom has posted on the GS Forum for GS advice solely on your 480L purchase, and alienated everyone in less then a fortnight! Anyway I'm glad that you've finally realised the Digital conundrum of the Lexicon 480L & SDIF and Digital in general.

Eric, You chose the Lemtech Digital Board so please...don't drag your 480L troubles into my life! I think you'll find a pretty decent consensus that the 480L Digital Scenario was often not used or required, and of those whom did make use of it used a Bodge or an LFI-10 was thrown into the equation (Should one need mastering compression or PONS Dither etc from the 480L Mastering Algo's) Eric it was used with as I've said the LFI-10 DE9 SDIF Connector to the 480L Digital breakout - you know the one! It's not the one you wanted to hook up a 300L with into the 480L as you had a spare Larc Connector! Though now you've gone for...a 224? You might want to try a 224XL as that Unit will work with the spare 480L Larc Connector! Actually Eric It's sad you didn't take my advice, as with the LFI-10 you could hook in the 300L & the 480L and have digital Out's to spare! I really think you need to learn that their are many ways in which to skin a Cat, a Simple RME ADI2 or RME ADI-4DD Convertor would have done what was required, though you seem to battle on! After all you've been using a 480L since 1986! I'm sorry Eric, though I just can't seem to help you or advise you any further!
Best of luck with your 480L!
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka View Post
The EMT 250 was made by EMT (Germany) starting in 1976. The EMT 251 (with the LCD display) was released a few years later.

Interesting that you're in the Czech Republic. My dad's side of the family is Czech; "Kulka" is Czech, as you probably know. Right now 2 younger Kulkas from Prague are staying with my wife and me. I've met a lot of excellent Czech engineers over the years.

EMT 250...
Damn right David,
it was either be good - or the Gulag! I once had a Czech Tech named Horisto, he was seriously amazing, used to work for the State TV Station and he learned to make wire from Rocks, seriously so brave was this guy he walked over the Mountains for 5 weeks to escape the republic, the El presidente was shot! - 10 Years later he still believed, and told the story of how"The Regime" could spy on you "Through Your houseHold TV".
Indeed so interesting were his stories, he start taking out console modules, talk for an hour or two, walk off, drive home - then remember he hadn't fixed them or put them back in! Gifted guy - though affected - Indeed!
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Has everyone forgotten the Sony DRE2000.??..long a secret weapon of Chris & Tom Lord Alge
and remember...the NonLin 2 everyone was so fond of in the AMS was a barcode program that only could be loaded with the optional bar code reader...and if you lost the program..it needed to be reloaded the same way
I have one. BEST digital reverb I've ever heard on drums. Will have to try out the EMT 250 I just got, though. Some of the other reverbs I'm using:

Lex 224XL
AMS RMX 16
PCM 70
Klark Teknik DN-780
EMT 142

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search