The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A 'complementary' pre to Avedis MA5 500 Series Preamps
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Try the p-1 by a designs it's very much like their pacifica and different from the ones your speaking of . Good luck
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Sound View Post
This second MA5 I bought though seems to have a slightly difference frequency response or perhaps sounds tighter in the low end/punchier than the one I already have. Did any of you have the same experience?
No, afaik it's very difficult to have an MA5 that sounds different from another one due to Avedis procedure tests while manufacturing them and the components used.

I've used a pair during a mastering session, they were perfectly matched..

I suggest you to contact Avedis to understand what's going on with the one you bought..
Very strange, they don't brake or have any issues, VERY consistent sounding and VERY reliable. Same components used.

Going back to the original thread, John Hardy have (finally) a 500 series twin servo shipping in 30 days which along to the Forssell SMP500 is probably another great option to complement an MA5, if an api-ish sound is not desired.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 6th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I used to have an MA5. Liked it, but sold it, as getting a 2nd one was way over my limited budget at the time. I guess, if I had kept it and bought a second one, in order to add something slightly different, but still complementary and equally robust-sounding, with plenty of iron and discrete op amps, I might have gone with either a pair of CAPI VP28's or some Hairball Audio Lola's. Nice transformers and 2 x Hardy 990c op amps on the latter, making it a really fantastic Neve, API, Hardy M1 type of hybrid, but more on the clean side, with a sort of GML top end sparkle.
If you're handy with a soldering iron and don't mind a bit of fiddling, the Lola is right up there and costs half the price of an MA5. To each his/her own, but I would definitely look at building a couple (I've got 4, in fact).
Old 7th October 2015
Gear Addict
My 2 cents, sell the Liquid Mix and buy a clean compressor like a Dave Hill and get a Eq for the second slot. That'd give you some hardware inserts as well.
Old 5th March 2016
Here for the gear

This sounds crazy but I bought another one and I am experiencing the same issue. One MA5 sounds more upfront and better on vocals, the other one sounds better on acoustics, etc.
Thinking it might be an issue with the 500 series power supply?
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
This sounds crazy but I bought another one and I am experiencing the same issue. One MA5 sounds more upfront and better on vocals, the other one sounds better on acoustics, etc.
Thinking it might be an issue with the 500 series power supply?
As said above I strongly suggest to get in contact with Avedis or your 500 series rack manufacturer.
But afaik there are very strict tolerances with the components, plus Avedis procedure when testing the MA5 makes it basically matched when it comes out from his shop..you could pick one now and one from 3 years ago and not notice ANY difference.. you could barely measuring differencies.. this is what Avedis told me when I asked him to match me a pair for using them to master an album (which is out for Sony Switzerland).. he picked a pair from his shelf, tested them and they were already matched.

The problem might be elsewhere:
500 series rack?
cables? Have you tried to switch them?
AD converters?

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 6th March 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks Cheu.
Yes I did swap places in the 500 series rack and nothing changed. I also did extensive tests on the various instruments and miked a speaker with both MA5s. The waveforms look different, there is a difference in amplitude and in low frequency response. Yes, will contact avedis. Cheers L
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Cheu.
Yes I did swap places in the 500 series rack and nothing changed. I also did extensive tests on the various instruments and miked a speaker with both MA5s. The waveforms look different, there is a difference in amplitude and in low frequency response. Yes, will contact avedis. Cheers L
IF it's not the rack and not the cables.. maybe the converters? Have you tried with a different channel or even better a different (even cheap just for testing reasons) interface?

Anyway try to call Avedis, he will be happy to sort that out IF it's an MA5 fault (which would be one of the first if not the first one I've heard/seen)..

Let us know how it goes..
I'm not working for Avedis, but I should.. ahahahahah

Cheu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search