The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
APS Coax monitors Studio Monitors
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

APS Coax monitors

Hey,

Does anyone have any experience with the APS Coax monitors? I'm looking into getting new monitors (have been leaning towards a sealed cabinet) and came across these. I cannot really find much information on them.
Old 13th October 2012
Here for the gear

The best monitor I have ever owned! I work at a Pro Audio Retailer and get to A/B a lot of monitors. The Coax is the most detailed monitor in my opinion, you will hear things in songs, you have never heard before.

They are not that powerful, but the frequency response is impressive for it's size.

You will not go wrong with these babies!
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Sounds great! Now just getting them in the States seems to be the hardest part.
Old 6th November 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWYF11 View Post
Sounds great! Now just getting them in the States seems to be the hardest part.
Hi!
www.vintageking.com Vintage King Audio is our distributor in US.
If you have any problems, write directly to us: www.aps-company.pl/en/contact.html

Best
David
APS
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear
Did anyone else heard them / own them / use them ? How well do they translate ?
I'm investigating for new compact nearfield monitors and came across this topic. They would fit my budget better than the other more expensive options I'm considering. When I read that the frequency response is impressive and that they're quite detailled, I'm intrigued !
Old 1st February 2013
Can't really comment on how well they translate, since I do not have much real-life mixing experience on them. However, after many times listening to them in different environments, I always have the same conclusion - I would never believe the size based on the sound alone.

They are extremely detailed, the frequency response is fabulous, and what is most fascinating for me in these babies s that stereo imaging is absolutely extraordinary.

Give them a try, if you have the possibility!

Mateusz
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear
I just received a pair, and I've been listening to various tunes on them for the last few hours.
Of course, they need a proper, longer break-in period and are temporarily too agressive, but I already confirm what Mateusz said about them. I'll add that they have an impressive transient response as well.
Old 1st April 2014
Love to hear more opinions on these. The other Coaxial speakers I've heard are the D5's and I cannot forget how incredible their stereo imaging is.
Old 8th April 2014
Here for the gear

+1 request for more opinions. I couldn't find a single "reputable" English review from the likes of SOS...
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear
I wrote that post here on GS six months ago :

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
I can't recommend enough the APS Coax, I love them :

- fantastic frequency response and accuracy, down to 60Hz or so. Don't be afraid by the lack of low freqs (or by the lack of artificial bump down there like some other monitors), the informations they provide from 60Hz are much more useful IMHO to get the kick/bass right, no matter how bass heavy is your music. Once you start to learn them it's not an issue at all. No mud or any misleading rumble. Just check subs on headphones et voilà.
- super fast transients.
- beautiful stereo image and wide sweet spot.
- they don't try to sound bigger than what they are. I love how they behave at quiet volumes.
- great company / customer service
- they look really great :D

My mixes translates really well, effortlessly. So I'm super happy with them.

Just one thing though, they drastically improve once properly broken-in. So if you want to demo them, ask for a used pair. They sounded quite harsh and thin when I got them brand new.
And I'm still damn happy I own/use them. My mixes have improved drastically since then.

I had the opportunity to check my tunes/mixes on many different sets of monitors and headphones since then (including in a pretty nice mastering studio with both Barefoot MM27 and Focal SM9) and every time they translated perfectly.

If by any chance you speak/read french, I wrote a more in-depth review here : Avis de nilhartman - Aps - Audio Pro Solutions COAX - Audiofanzine

I hope it helps.
Old 9th April 2014
I love APS . High quality design, accurate sound and great detail.
I sold KRK E8B and replaced them with APS AEON Titandome.
Old 9th April 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks Nil. Even though I worked at a predominantly French company for 2.5 years, I only picked up "p*tain" and the like, so I had to read your review via Google Translate.

I want to upgrade my Equator D5 and want to stay with coax drivers because I'm in the extreme nearfield (0.5 - 1 m). I will be using them for entertainment only--so I'm not worried about translation, even though I'd like as much accuracy as possible. Thankfully VintageKing offers a 30 day return policy, so I guess I just need to bite the bullet. Certainly from your review they don't seem lacking in any aspect.
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Just wanted to say that I bought them after Vintage King dropped the price from $950 to $775. I don't work with sound professionally and I'm in an untreated room for now, so I'll spare you my amateur impressions , but I feel they are quite an upgrade from Equator D5.
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear
Wow, great deal !
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Wanted to bump this thread, because two years (almost to the day) later, I've finally pulled the trigger on a pair of coax monitors. They are a custom order, so I've got about a three week wait. I'm pumped to finally get these and see what they're all about.
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Head

Since they share the same seas driver as the emes black tv, I really would like to know how they sound in comparison... I had the black tv hr and the latest 2008 version with the transparent chassis... great speaker, but the highs were not that good. But one of the best in its (price) class...
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Maniac

I just received my Coax monitors a couple days ago. I started a mix from scratch on these and it was the first time I've had a mix translate perfectly to my laptop from the studio. These are actually extremely close to NS10s for me in the mid range. Less pillowy in the low mids and way more true in the top end. I'm coming from NS10s and Adam A7's. The problem with the Adams were how nice everything sounded through them. Great sounding mixes do sound good through the Coax but in a different way. A great mix just sounds balanced and even but not big and glossy. I'm really diggin' these monitors, great job by APS on these!
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post
+1 request for more opinions. I couldn't find a single "reputable" English review from the likes of SOS...
Hugh Robjohns article has just gone up this month for subscribers / purchase:

Product Review - APS Coax
Old 24th March 2017
Any new happy owners - reviews?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search