The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Iso Booth enquiry
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

Iso Booth enquiry

alrighty,

i'm looking for a good quality, custom spec iso booth and have come across these: http://www.soundsuckers.com/

has anyone encountered them before?

any comments on the build quality and realistically achieved isolation?

are they still in business?
i ask because i have received no reply to 2 email enquiries so far.

many thanks,

regards,

richie.
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

They have a painful website.

Also, its nearly 2700.00 for a 4 foot x 4 foot vocal booth (and it doesn't have lights or ventilation, and probably doesn't include shipping). I hate to say it, but if you got a day to spend learning about sound proofing at www.johnlsayers.com and have basic carpentry skills (or a friend... or a handyman) you could probably build a booth for way less than half the cost. There is no way I would ever buy a booth from these guys unless I had tons of extra cash and no time to do it myself.
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

p.s. No reply to 2 e-mail requests is NOT a good sign.
Old 5th July 2006
Gear Head

At that price you're better off going with a Silver series at http://www.vocalbooth.com/products/special.html which comes with active ventilation and a bunch of extras. There appears to be a special right now with free shipping and $100 off as well. Definitely worth checking out.

Other options are www.WhisperRoom.com which I believe have vocal booths starting out at this price range as well.

I hope this helps.
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies.

the thing is i'm looking for at least 2 rooms of 19" x 13" x 10" to be as well isolated as possible and would MUCH prefer a modular, non-permanent construction which could be removed from the rented premises in which they are to be installed and reconstructed elsewhere.

anyone else have any first hand experience of this company or their products?

or any more suggestions?

regards,

richie.
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

From what I recall, Whisper Room is the most reputable around.... but expect to pay some tall coin for the size of room you are talking about.
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

Be careful w/ vocalbooth.com. i got an amp enclosure from them and it was a pain in the ass. the way they designed it was not very useful, so i had them make a few mods and it was like pulling teeth.

after all was said and done the enclosure does what it's supposed to but is not very sturdy. when i open it, the whole thing flexes under it's own weight soo much i cringe. even though i;ve had it for 6 months . . .

. . . also i saved a bunch on shipping by picking it up at the local hub. food for thought, since shipping will be crazy expensive.
Old 5th July 2006
Lives for gear

Whisper Room booths are pretty good... I've worked with a few and own one myself.

Look on craigslist; you might be able to find on used. I bought my 4 x 5 unit used for about a grand.

As far as isolation goes: they're not "sound proof". Low bass floats through the walls pretty effortlessly (think 120hz and below). The one I own does not have the double thick walls and it works fine for loud vocals in an apartment (no complaints from the neighbors yet). I would be reluctant to stick a half stack in there... I think the bleed might be too loud.
Old 6th July 2006
Gear Maniac

I have one from vocalbooth.com as well. We had to put the damn thing together twice because of the lack of directions!! Yes, thats right, we put it up all the way had one piece left over... had to take it all back down, then put it all back together again. The directions are literally like two sheets of photocopied paper in like 5 steps. Meanwhile there are like 50 parts 15 different types of screws etc. etc. I had to call to make sure it wasn't a joke. Now that is up though it's pretty nice. The air units are pretty useless though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search