The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ribbon Drum Overheads
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

Ribbon Drum Overheads

Looking into buying a nice pair of Ribbon mics for drum overheads, any specifics out there that are known to be the bomb? Any age as well, preferably something old and neat
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Royer SF-12. You won't need a pair--it's a stereo mic.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

I love ribbons for overheads. I have a pair of Blue Woodpeckers that work well. They're pretty bright for a ribbon, so they have a condenser-ish tone with some of the bottom of a ribbon.

Otherwise, I've used the Royer 121s and the SF-12 with great results!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

I have used both the royer and the AEA R88 and they are both fine fine examples, but my vote is for the AEA R88.... It is exceptionally natural with a great image.

I have not used the Coles firsthand but have of course heard the great reports of using them on overheads, among other things.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

The 'gold standard' is probably a pair of Coles 4038's. I've got one, and it definitely rocks.

Another option is the AEA R88 stereo ribbon, which is my 'go to' for drum OH. Great imaging, full round tone, and really smooths out the cymbals. Tis a beautiful thing... (especially when I mix in a little over-compressed 4038 for the middle punch.)
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

I use a pair of AEA R84, but have found I prefer them underhead rather than overhead: about floor tom height and 3 - 5 ft. out, one pointed at floor tom/ride cymbal grouping and one pointed at snare/rack tom grouping.

My other favorite is one R84 about 6 ft. height and 10 - 15 ft. out directly in front of bass drum, angled slightly down towards top of bass drum. This is one strong mono picture of the kit to then augment with one or two stereo pairs of close and far room mics, and/or close mics on snare & toms.

Hope that helps.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head
I would agree with the R84, one of the best overhead mics I've used. Also used as a room mic about 7" high and 12" back from the kit gave a sound that was good enough by itself. I highly recommend that mic!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Royer SF12 and Coles 4038... the royer is cleaner while the coles is really fat and punchy..
The AEA are also very nice..
At this level is a matter of taste/goals IMO.. They're all very good..

Or if you could score an RCA 74, I really liked it as a mono drum overhead..

Cheu
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

Don't forget Beyers......to me rather M260N's than M160's.....
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnpdi View Post
I would agree with the R84, one of the best overhead mics I've used. Also used as a room mic about 7" high and 12" back from the kit gave a sound that was good enough by itself. I highly recommend that mic!
I'm having Spinal Tap / Stonehenge flashbacks... I'm assuming you meant 7/12 FEET not INCHES, right?
Old 24th September 2012
I have not owned the 4038's but did visit a studio that used them in Indianapolis. They said the Coles were particularly sensitive, and they've had to have the diaphragms (ribbons) replaced every so often. They said not to place them too near loud objects (especially drums), and to make sure they are in their box when opening/closing doors in airtight rooms, since the sudden pressure change can kill them. Aside from that, they said they were the best "sounding" ribbons they've ever heard.

I've used the Royer Stereo mic described above quite often. It can handle a bit of abuse, but again, we were careful with them. A friend of mine bought the new, hefty Royer 101, which has less top end, but he swears by it for guitars. It's his new primary amp cab mic. It's made for the type of abuse you're considering, but you may end up needing to roll off some of the lower end when attempting to capture the sizzle in overhead tracking.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

4038's are quite safe atop a loud drum kit (overheads), not to worry. Use mine there all the time with not a problem, regardless of how much of a thug the drummer is.

On guitar amps is quite another things altogether, however. Not happy there, but back it off a few feet to get a roomier sound or as a distant mic to compliment a close mic on the cabinet, and they shine.

Joel
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

Another vote for 4038s. These respond very well to Pultec style EQ.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Love my AEA R88 stereo ribbon!!
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Guru

A tight room, not dead, but dry. Any size, doesn't matter.

A 4038 3' over the snare and a 44 8' out in front of the kick.

Any preamp with mojo and a lot of headroom.

Old drums tuned with some ring.

Drummer with a clue.

Heaven.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I'm having Spinal Tap / Stonehenge flashbacks... I'm assuming you meant 7/12 FEET not INCHES, right?
Ha! I felt like I was in danger for crushing Stonehenge! One of the greatest scenes in the movie, classic. Hey sorry I meant ft not in. Yes anyways, I agree with previous post too at this level you are really getting into taste. I've used the r121 and the r84 on drum room and both have worked out great. I'm just a sucker for the AEA. Recently I've have been using one for vox and one for acoustic guitar, been getting such a good sound.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbrehawk View Post
Looking into buying a nice pair of Ribbon mics for drum overheads, any specifics out there that are known to be the bomb? Any age as well, preferably something old and neat
I guess it totally depends on your budget/aesthetics/room/needs, but for what it's worth I really like Beyer M160 and Royer 121 over a drum kit. I usually go with the 160 because I have a relatively low ceiling in my live room. The M160 is hypercardioid as opposed to most other ribbons which are fig8. Just works in my room.

Sure want a pair of 4038's though.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Coles 4038, Royer 121-122. AEA R84.....All those ribbon microphones
will work great on Overheads.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

Stellar RM-7
Old 25th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
A tight room, not dead, but dry. Any size, doesn't matter.

A 4038 3' over the snare and a 44 8' out in front of the kick.

Any preamp with mojo and a lot of headroom.

Old drums tuned with some ring.

Drummer with a clue.

Heaven.

Gregory Scott - ubk

my two favorite ribbons on this planet

dammit I need a 44!!!!!!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Beyer 160's
RCA 10001 (KU3A?) awesome mic!!!!!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

+1 R88
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

don't forget the Coles 4050...
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

I love my pair of Beyer M160's.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

a single r84 overhead in a decent sounding room impressed the hell out of me a few weeks ago.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
I use a pair of AEA R84, but have found I prefer them underhead rather than overhead: about floor tom height and 3 - 5 ft. out, one pointed at floor tom/ride cymbal grouping and one pointed at snare/rack tom grouping.

My other favorite is one R84 about 6 ft. height and 10 - 15 ft. out directly in front of bass drum, angled slightly down towards top of bass drum. This is one strong mono picture of the kit to then augment with one or two stereo pairs of close and far room mics, and/or close mics on snare & toms.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnpdi View Post
These descriptions sound like room mics to me, just sayin'.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear
Coles 4038 on overheads get you an AEA r84 for mono room. Tasty.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Thats what i like about the 160's and the 10001, they are both cardioid.
Sometimes the figure isnt helpful in the overheads if the room isnt that great.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

Beyer 160s sound really good in conventional overhead placement.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

I'm using royer 101's with pretty good results. Darn flat them be.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search