The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Otari Status/Concept Q&A
Old 24th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
I discovered today the win 98 does not work with build 83 Eagle software for the Otari Status console. Win 95 does work.
that's strange since the Status came out after the C1, Soren Wittrup I'm sure knows the answer
Old 30th April 2013
Here for the gear

im new. just bought otari concept one. i need the user manual. PLEASE HELP..

thanks guys..
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Head
Bumping this up again! I am too looking for an available manual for the Concept One. I am in the market of one of these and its rare to find much info in preparation for using/repairing it. Thanks in advance!
Old 24th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanman555 View Post
Bumping this up again! I am too looking for an available manual for the Concept One. I am in the market of one of these and its rare to find much info in preparation for using/repairing it. Thanks in advance!
I have PDF's for the Elite, mainly because I use Eagle, but the channel layout and digital master section are different as is the automation. IF you want that I can send it to you.
Old 24th September 2014
Lives for gear

Check the drop box mentioned on the first page, I keep a link bookmarked
Old 24th September 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not aware of any scan of the Concept One manual. The manual and schematics are close to 3" tall with much of the 8-1/2" x 11" pages being printed double sided. The schematics are folded 11" x 17" pages and you are looking at 50 pages of those. To pay for copying will run some bucks as it surely will take some time. Give me a PM with your phone / email info as I've got a couple suggestions and some pics to send that may help with putting it back together.
Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

I have the concept one manual scanned, its 100 megs so if you send me a link to somewhere to up load it for u i can do it.
I also have all the schem books for the 'one' and elite but as mentioned thats a big job so pm me and we can get u what you need, as you need it.
Old 7th December 2016
Hi all,

I've just bought an Otari Status and love it! I've replaced most of the pre amp ICs with that 1510s. Cleaned the whole thing out and I am just about to replace a couple of dodgy VCA faders.

The last thing that I need to sort is syncing my pro Tools native rig (Orion 32+ converters via SSL MADI card) to the desk. The issue is that I can only send MMC or MTC from Pro Tools native.

The desk has a MIDI in and out but the brochure only mentions that you can trigger switch states with it and then manual doesn't mention the MIDI at all. I'm just wondering whether the console can convert the MIDI time code to LTC?

Or could i slave pro Tools to the desk instead?

I'd rather not lose a channel of IO so don't want to record in some LTC. But I could buy a Motu micro express to convert the MMC (or MTC) to LTC if that doesn't work. Does anyone else run their rig like that?
Old 8th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowsed View Post
Hi all,

I've just bought an Otari Status and love it! I've replaced most of the pre amp ICs with that 1510s. Cleaned the whole thing out and I am just about to replace a couple of dodgy VCA faders.

The last thing that I need to sort is syncing my pro Tools native rig (Orion 32+ converters via SSL MADI card) to the desk. The issue is that I can only send MMC or MTC from Pro Tools native.

The desk has a MIDI in and out but the brochure only mentions that you can trigger switch states with it and then manual doesn't mention the MIDI at all. I'm just wondering whether the console can convert the MIDI time code to LTC?

I'd rather not lose a channel of IO so don't want to record in some LTC. But I could buy a Motu micro express to convert the MMC (or MTC) to LTC if that doesn't work. Does anyone else run their rig like that?
Aardsync or Rosendahl Nanosync
Old 8th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Can't you just send SMTE from the puters built in soundcard or something?
Old 10th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Aardsync or Rosendahl Nanosync
what the rosendahl is for is syncing a 2" with a daw, what Green needle assuming PT can do MMC is a midi interface say like a MTP Av which you then using MMC will allow to output tc from the midi interface to the consoles tc in. I do this every time I mix but while I do own PT12, I prefer Logic and Logic does mmc very easily.
Old 10th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
what the rosendahl is for is syncing a 2" with a daw, what Green needle assuming PT can do MMC is a midi interface say like a MTP Av which you then using MMC will allow to output tc from the midi interface to the consoles tc in. I do this every time I mix but while I do own PT12, I prefer Logic and Logic does mmc very easily.
That's exactly what I'm planning to do MMC to time code out with a midi interface with SMPTE output!
Old 11th December 2016
Quote:
Hi all,

From what I've gathered from using this console for 10 years is the Midi ins/outs don't do anything useful. We (my tech and I) think Otari put it on there intending to expand it in a future update and never did.

The way I get the automation to work is the way Otari designed it 25 years ago....A windows 95 PC running the Otari Software.

There are 2 connections with the automation PC going on. The faders connect via an old COM port cable to the PC. The time code connects via SMPTE (an analogue tone) which the console can transmit and receive. Most likely you'll only receive it unless you are going to stripe analogue tape.I have the SMPTE tones connected to a little JL Cooper box that converts SMPTE to MTC (midi time code). The JL Cooper connects to the DAW.

It seems complicated but once it's running, it's really solid. The automation may be the best thing about the console.
Old 12th December 2016
Quote:
From what I've gathered from using this console for 10 years is the Midi ins/outs don't do anything useful. We (my tech and I) think Otari put it on there intending to expand it in a future update and never did.

The way I get the automation to work is the way Otari designed it 25 years ago....A windows 95 PC running the Otari Software.

There are 2 connections with the automation PC going on. The faders connect via an old COM port cable to the PC. The time code connects via SMPTE (an analogue tone) which the console can transmit and receive. Most likely you'll only receive it unless you are going to stripe analogue tape.I have the SMPTE tones connected to a little JL Cooper box that converts SMPTE to MTC (midi time code). The JL Cooper connects to the DAW.

It seems complicated but once it's running, it's really solid. The automation may be the best thing about the console.
I am finishing off servicing the desk now and I have noticed three large faders which now pass audio when the fader is at negative infinity because it thinks it is at +12 (the top). Do you think that I need to buy some new faders and motors? or is there something that has gone wrong in the calibration?

I took the chanels apart and the large faders on the input channels seem to have the following printed on them "732K 10KD 10KB". The console came with some spares of the master fader which was an alps electric. Could someone please give me an idea of the best fader and motor to replace inputs modules?

Cheers
Pete
Old 12th December 2016
Quote:
I am finishing off servicing the desk now and I have noticed three large faders which now pass audio when the fader is at negative infinity because it thinks it is at +12 (the top). Do you think that I need to buy some new faders and motors? or is there something that has gone wrong in the calibration?

I took the chanels apart and the large faders on the input channels seem to have the following printed on them "732K 10KD 10KB". The console came with some spares of the master fader which was an alps electric. Could someone please give me an idea of the best fader and motor to replace inputs modules?

Cheers
Pete
I don't know. My console had VCA faders so I have no experience with he motorized ones....Sorry

Good luck!
Old 12th December 2016
Quote:
I don't know. My console had VCA faders so I have no experience with he motorized ones....Sorry

Good luck!
Hi Clearwave,

Cheers for helping.

mine is a VCA fader one too, but still requires some motor on rollers to physically move the fader though right?
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers
Pete
I bought some motor faders from the first gen 01V to replace mine. They haven't been installed yet but I believe they are a match. I've been looking for a replacement Master fader forever though. Turns out that's the only fader on the board that passes audio.
Old 13th December 2016
Quote:

Those faders are inverted which I believe to be a common problem. Sometimes re-booting the console will help. If not look at the MF.CAL (moving fader calibration routine) in the software. Last option is to replace or relocate those troubled children.

Last edited by SKYSGUY; 13th December 2016 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 13th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
I bought some motor faders from the first gen 01V to replace mine. They haven't been installed yet but I believe they are a match. I've been looking for a replacement Master fader forever though. Turns out that's the only fader on the board that passes audio.
Ah thats good to know. Where are you based maybe I can send you a spare master fader?
Old 13th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSGUY View Post

Those faders are inverted which I believe to be a common problem. Sometimes re-booting the console will help. If not look at the MF.CAL (moving fader calibration routine) in the software. Last option is to replace or relocate those troubled children.
I did the calibration when I bought it, but re-tried it on just those channels with no luck. They might be relocated to the end of the board for the time being.

cheers
Pete
Old 13th December 2016
Quote:
They might be relocated to the end of the board for the time being.
That's a good short term solution. Try and re-cal those faders after the move and see what you get.
Old 14th November 2017
jkx
Here for the gear

Power Supply Schematics

Hi All,
I am looking for some schematics for the Status 18R:

- Power Supply unit Model ZZRUT - 220V of the series XYZ
- Power supply pinout
- Assembly Drawings of the modules
- Bill of materials

That would complete the documentation that I have (and help me to sort out an issue we have with our mixer).

These are the schematics that I can't find online.

Thank you!
Old 15th November 2017
Quote:
I did the calibration when I bought it, but re-tried it on just those channels with no luck. They might be relocated to the end of the board for the time being.

cheers
Pete
wow I just saw this, but you probably need to re chip and re cap the motor fader cards, which are in the cans with the faders. You also might need to replace the faders, they don't last forever. I find bad fader cards ultimately start to mess with the cal of the console .
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx View Post
Hi All,
I am looking for some schematics for the Status 18R:

- Power Supply unit Model ZZRUT - 220V of the series XYZ
- Power supply pinout
- Assembly Drawings of the modules
- Bill of materials

That would complete the documentation that I have (and help me to sort out an issue we have with our mixer).

These are the schematics that I can't find online.

Thank you!
This is the one that I always use. The schematic drawings in my hardcopy manual are very small.

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/file...ams-470179.pdf
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Firstly you need the full manual and schematics. If it were me I'd possibly go a different way such as JLCooper and Lynx Timeline or Adams Zeta LTC to VITCI to MTC and MMC, Sony 9 pin Serial and RS-422/322 alongside specific Console/Machine control many options exist. I say this as sure you can go MOTU though they are very specific regarding drivers and OS X. On Microsoft machines they don't seem to play nicely at all. The MOTU Manual will say different though shoot them a specific email. MOTU sort of nearly works with Windows platforms and more so with newer Windows OS or Win 7 etc you'll not find MOTU Time code and sync interfaces helping on Win 95/98/SE/2000 etc. Motu will say there's a driver though that simply won't work standalone to DAW nor a Timepiece etc unless very old in that case you might find an interface Midi wise that's not Mac/OSX -OS X orientated. Unless you've got a Hakintosh?
Old 16th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Firstly you need the full manual and schematics. If it were me I'd possibly go a different way such as JLCooper and Lynx Timeline or Adams Zeta LTC to VITCI to MTC and MMC, Sony 9 pin Serial and RS-422/322 alongside specific Console/Machine control many options exist. I say this as sure you can go MOTU though they are very specific regarding drivers and OS X. On Microsoft machines they don't seem to play nicely at all. The MOTU Manual will say different though shoot them a specific email. MOTU sort of nearly works with Windows platforms and more so with newer Windows OS or Win 7 etc you'll not find MOTU Time code and sync interfaces helping on Win 95/98/SE/2000 etc. Motu will say there's a driver though that simply won't work standalone to DAW nor a Timepiece etc unless very old in that case you might find an interface Midi wise that's not Mac/OSX -OS X orientated. Unless you've got a Hakintosh?
You don't run the time code on the computer that runs the automation. You run it from your Daw which hopefully can output tc via MMC. The Motu outputs the MMC as tc which goes into the tc in on the automation computer. On my C1 the tc in appears on my patch bay so I patch out from the Motu MTP tc out to the console tc in. Done, I do this with Logic not PT, but it should be the same provided PT can output MMC to the Motu interface. It's very simple, you don't need a lynx or an Adams Smith. And the tc sync with the automation is bullet proof.
Old 20th November 2017
jkx
Here for the gear

FYI we found out that our power supply (Otari Status 18R - 40 channel + Dynamic) is assembled with Condor power supply units:

1 unit: Condor Model HN5-9/OVP-A+
Input Current: 100/120/215/230-240 V
Ampere: 1.6/1.3/0.7/0.7 A 5 V, 9 A
Output: 5V @ 9A

2 units: Condor Model HDD15-5-A+
Ampere: 3,4/2.9/1.6/1.5 A
Output1: +12 OR 15 [email protected] 5 A
Output 2: -12 OR -15 [email protected] 5 A

1 Unit (Probably): HB48-0.5-A+
Ampere: 0.6/0.5/0.3/0.3 A
Output: 48 [email protected] 0.5 A

Picture and data sheets found online can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/edmhcw2xg1a1tnu/jpVo6jDr5W

Last edited by jkx; 21st November 2017 at 07:38 PM..
Old 22nd November 2017
Quote:
FYI we found out that our power supply (Otari Status 18R - 40 channel + Dynamic) is assembled with Condor power supply units:

1 unit: Condor Model HN5-9/OVP-A+
Ampere: 1.6/1.3/0.7/0.7 A 5 V, 9 A
Output: 5V @ 9A

2 units: Condor Model HDD15-5-A+
Ampere: 3,4/2.9/1.6/1.5 A
Output1: +12 OR 15 [email protected] 5 A
Output 2: -12 OR -15 [email protected] 5 A

1 Unit (Probably): HB48-0.5-A+
Ampere: 0.6/0.5/0.3/0.3 A
Output: 48 [email protected] 0.5 A

Picture and data sheets found online can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/edmhcw2xg1a1tnu/jpVo6jDr5W
Yep the Concept One and I believe the Elite also use Condor Supplies, I had to recap my supplies when I got my console.
Old 29th November 2017
jkx
Here for the gear

Power Supply

Turned out we had a diode bridge that was gone for the longest time (5 years) that was preventing all the other channels to work 25+ and messing up with the VCA 1-24.

Fixed that and we have a fully working console. New challenge is now making eagle recognize the channels 25+ since we can only automate mutes but vca are not displaying the change...

Much better results anyway! Thank you for the support!
Old 30th November 2017
Quote:
Turned out we had a diode bridge that was gone for the longest time (5 years) that was preventing all the other channels to work 25+ and messing up with the VCA 1-24.

Fixed that and we have a fully working console. New challenge is now making eagle recognize the channels 25+ since we can only automate mutes but vca are not displaying the change...

Much better results anyway! Thank you for the support!
read the eagle manual, you probably need to reconfigure the console software for the amount of working modules you now have

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search