The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony DRES 777 vs. Altiverb....
Old 9th September 2002
Gear Addict

Sony DRES 777 vs. Yamaha SREV1 vs. Altiverb....

Anyone lucky enough to have a chance to compare these two? That 777 sure is sexy...never have a chance to actually use one. Those Sony engineers put a lot of time and efforts in capturing many awesome 'reverb' space around the world. I believe Yamaha has a similar product but I just can't remember what the model is. I had a chance to play with Altiverb but it used up lots of CPU resource and basically made the computer freezes up.
Old 9th September 2002
There is only one

Altiverb gives you the longest convolution time [depending on your CPU] over the Sony or Yamama. 23s vs 6s [sony] and 10s [yamama w/ dsp card]
Old 9th September 2002
Gear Addict

OK....but I can't really remember when's the last time I needed a reverb time more than 6sec. So alphajerk, you had tried the Sony or the Yamaha? What do you think about them?
Old 9th September 2002
There is only one

well, verb times for altiverb are VERY different than the RT60's on algorithmic verbs. i find myself using 12s verbs with no problem at all.

i havent used the sony or yamama.
Old 9th September 2002
Gear Head

I have had a few hours with the sony machine, and it sounds quite impressive, especially on drums. It sounds absolutly natural. When a fellow engineer introduced the sony to me, we a/b'd it with a 460...It sounded like the lexicon was broken!

chris
Old 9th September 2002
Gear Addict

just read a description on the sony pro audio web site, the max reverb time is 11s. i guess the current unit's expanded dsp card surely gives the unit a boost.
Old 10th September 2002
Gear Nut

Just got a chance the other day to fool around with the S-777. I find the thing to be pretty amazing. It seems to so easily fit into a mix...

I sure hope the Alitverb can do a similar thing. I'd love to have that sound at my home studio. Leave the 5 digit reverb purchases to corporate accounting.

-Moze

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search