The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A-Design's Ventura- anyone using it? What's the word?
Old 11th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Hehe hate to necro this old thread but just ran across it while looking at something or other in one of the other forums but.. I can definitely confirm that its a Quad Eight based pre. My friends dad Carl is the one that designed it.. Im assuming this is almost the same as the preamps he made us to use but with an added EQ on it. I dont know why but he loves the crap out of the Quad Eight console, I think every preamp he's built is in some way based on it.
I actually bought one of those preamps from Carl!
Old 11th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I actually bought one of those preamps from Carl!

Yeah he's a cool guy, I met him a couple years after I moved to Ventura. Go figure before that I was living in Santa Maria, and he was up there at the same time too. His son's old band are pretty much all my best friends. He used to come down once in awhile and borrow our studio for a week or two at a time to mix stuff. We would always mess with each other and go back and forth changing the desktop wallpaper on our Mac at the studio to the grossest picture we could find. He had some real winners in there hehe. He was funny when I first met him, he wouldn't touch our G4 Macs we had in there, and always carted down his old beige Powermac and his Mac OS 8 ProTools TDM rig. It took him soooo long just to upgrade that thing to Mac OS 9 because he didn't want to mess with anything in his system, he didn't trust anything newer than what he was running because it had worked forever. I think by the time he went to OS 9, we were already 3 or 4 versions of OS X in hah. His gear is all killer though. The rack we have is like one of his "test" units he made. Its 4 channels, and the inside is all modular, you can basically unplug the little opamp cards and pop another flavor in. Guess he used this when he was first designing em so he could keep making changes without having to waste a whole other enclosure. We just happened to get it when it had the 4 quad eight cards in it.
📝 Reply