The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rupert Neve Designs Portico compressors, 5403, 543 and buss unit, sonic differences? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Rupert Neve Designs Portico compressors, 5403, 543 and buss unit, sonic differences?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any sonic differences between the RND 5043, 543 and the Portico Master Buss Processor? I'm talking about differences in character, color, fidelity, general behavior, etc? I'm aware that these units are not identical in terms of features. The block diagrams for these units look pretty different also. So how do they compare sonically?

I know there are a lot of threads out there regarding these RND Portico compressors, I reviewed everything, can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Old 19th January 2014
Bump
Old 5th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Hello,
want to know it too.
Two 543 vs 5043.
Why are two 543´s more expensive even
if they have no own power-supply?
5043: max +25 db
543: max +23 db
Old 5th December 2014
Gear Addict
Sup guys...I own a Master Bus Processor and a 543 and guess what.......

There is no sonic difference...its practically the same exact compressor just in different form factor and features. When I say that, I don't mean that in any negative way. They're excellent transparent compressors.
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

I own a 5043. It sounds really nice. I like it in Feedback mode. Feed Forward is more transparent, Feedback has a bit low end thickening and rolls off some high-end and is a tad "slower"

It's a nice sounding box. I've also enjoy just turning up Output transformers. I have used it on the last three albums I mixed on the stereo bus.
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
There is no sonic difference...
Thanks for the info,
if you use the specifically designed limiter section of your Master Buss Processor and compare it with the 543 brickwalllimter (40:1) can it keep up on 2-buss work? Not as much loudness possible? Inferior sound? Or if you would have four 543s you could use two for comping and two for limiting?
or was
Quote:
There is no sonic difference...
the answer?
Would I need four 543 for the same workflow?
Old 6th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
I own a 5043. It sounds really nice. I like it in Feedback mode. Feed Forward is more transparent, Feedback has a bit low end thickening and rolls off some high-end and is a tad "slower"

It's a nice sounding box. I've also enjoy just turning up Output transformers. I have used it on the last three albums I mixed on the stereo bus.
I'm thinking of buying a 5043 or Brute. I know they are different...currently I use a WA76, and Obsidian(master buss)....

do you think you can link me to something you mixed with 5043 on vox?

I'm wondering if buying a used 5043 ($900) would be more valuable than a single channel used Brute ($600).

Any thoughts?

Best,
Jason
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzo View Post
Thanks for the info,
if you use the specifically designed limiter section of your Master Buss Processor and compare it with the 543 brickwalllimter (40:1) can it keep up on 2-buss work? Not as much loudness possible? Inferior sound? Or if you would have four 543s you could use two for comping and two for limiting?
or was

the answer?
Would I need four 543 for the same workflow?

I would say no on 2-bus duty only because its fixed and you can't adjust it at all so you lost that flexibility. I see more use out of it tracking something though. I wouldn't get 4 just to only use 2 on Comp and 2 only on Limiting. For that 4k, you might as well get a MBP and you can use it both tracking (Dual Mono) and then on 2 Bus.
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
... you might as well get a MBP and you can use it both tracking (Dual Mono) and then on 2 Bus.
How to get it loud on the 2-buss if you compress the source yet don´t use the limiter of the MBP subsequently?
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark Studio View Post
I'm thinking of buying a 5043 or Brute. I know they are different...currently I use a WA76, and Obsidian(master buss)....

do you think you can link me to something you mixed with 5043 on vox?

I'm wondering if buying a used 5043 ($900) would be more valuable than a single channel used Brute ($600).

Any thoughts?

Best,
Jason
I am cutting vocals with it right now. What's your email. I'll send you something in a day or two.
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzo View Post
How to get it loud on the 2-buss if you compress the source yet don´t use the limiter of the MBP subsequently?
Right so I do it one of two ways because the MBP doesn't have a gain output after the Limiter section

1. (analogue) There is a make-up gain between the Comp and Limiter. So workflow wise, I'll use the make-up gain after comp to get it as loud as I want and then set the limiter after it to just take a "little off the top". Which is majority of the time how I use it

2. (digital) On occasions I'll compress, no make-up gain, and set limiter then run that back into PT's through an Aux track with a digital limiter that I use strictly for the make-up gain, set at 0 threshold, and the output at -.03, and that get printed to an audio track.

I hope than was clear and answered your question.
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
I am cutting vocals with it right now. What's your email. I'll send you something in a day or two.
check pm.
Old 6th December 2014
Quote:
Thanks! [email protected]

Really appreciate it.

Best,
Jason
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search