The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brauner Valvet a Good Mic?? Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
etrella's Avatar
Brauner Valvet a Good Mic??

Thinking of buying the Valvet, not the X, how does it compared to higher end mics like the Bock 251 or the c800g. Wish i could just get the Vm1 but my budget doesn't allow me right now. Is the Vm1 that much better??
Old 10th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
etrella's Avatar
Anybody tried this mic??
Old 10th September 2012
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella View Post
Thinking of buying the Valvet, not the X, how does it compared to higher end mics like the Bock 251 or the c800g. Wish i could just get the Vm1 but my budget doesn't allow me right now. Is the Vm1 that much better??
I've tried all three and I definitely preferred and bought the Valvet.

Lovely mic.
Old 10th September 2012
  #4
Gear Nut
 

The Valvet has had great reviews. The thing that would put me off is the lack of fig-8 pattern. I have a VM-1 which is variable pattern. I love the sound of it. Extremely high quality. Very detailed. If the lack of fig-8 is not an issue then I reckon the Valvet would be a good bet. It is important to me for doing voice and acoustic guitar together when I want to mic them seperately.
Old 10th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
I'm completely done with buying anything that I haven't tried first - even if that means hiring it.

Made too many mistakes in the past.

Brauner make absolutely stellar mics, but try it in your room first - it's the ONLY way to go!
Old 10th September 2012
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
I'm completely done with buying anything that I haven't tried first - even if that means hiring it.

Made too many mistakes in the past.

Brauner make absolutely stellar mics, but try it in your room first - it's the ONLY way to go!
Absolutely.

We called Mercenary Audio and had them send a bunch and kept the Brauner.

YMMV
Old 11th September 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
etrella's Avatar
Thanks for the replies guys. The valvet must be great if you preferred it to those two awesome mics kenny. You guys are totally right about trying first, though its easier said than done when you might want to buy used
Old 11th September 2012
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. The valvet must be great if you preferred it to those two awesome mics kenny. You guys are totally right about trying first, though its easier said than done when you might want to buy used
On the bright side, if you buy a used Brauner Valvet and don't like it, you should be able to sell it for what you paid.

Oddly, they cost $500 more new than when I bought it.

What type of vocals do you record?
Old 11th September 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
etrella's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
On the bright side, if you buy a used Brauner Valvet and don't like it, you should be able to sell it for what you paid.

Oddly, they cost $500 more new than when I bought it.

What type of vocals do you record?
Sounds good. I am mainly going to record male and female Pop and R&B vocals possibly Rock vocals, but rarely. What made you decide on the valvet compared to the c800g, thought they were both on the bright camp. Do you think the Valvet had the same resolution?
Old 11th September 2012
  #10
Here for the gear
 
zecaleme's Avatar
 

Love the Brauner...but i must say that the Bock 251 its an amazing mic... In my opinion way more flexible to record different vocalists...it has a depth that its hard to find on microphones.... Great Microphone!
Old 11th September 2012
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella View Post
Sounds good. I am mainly going to record male and female Pop and R&B vocals possibly Rock vocals, but rarely. What made you decide on the valvet compared to the c800g, thought they were both on the bright camp. Do you think the Valvet had the same resolution?
I find that the Sony mic has a bump at around 200Hz that I always have to scoop out. And the top end is much more sizzle.

The Valvet's boost seems to be more in the sweet spot.

Especially for female pop.
Old 11th September 2012
  #12
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecaleme View Post
Love the Brauner...but i must say that the Bock 251 its an amazing mic...
To be clear, the mic I tried was the Soundeluxe 251 which I assume is the same.

We also tried a bunch of other Soundeluxe mics that don't seem to be made by Bock.

I believe it was the U95 (not the U195) that was our 2nd favorite.

But it's all subjective.

YMMV
Old 11th September 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
To each his own, obviously. Brauners are great mics. Bocks as well, as is Sony, obviously. I want to say that it is a sum of all the parts: room>mic>pre>eq>comp>converters>mixing>etc>etc

All great mic designs used everyday in every genre.
Old 16th September 2012
  #14
Gear Head
 

Wow, i was thinking of getting the manley RC but if the Valvet is in the same camp as the c800g and the elux 251 in terms of sound quality, ill probably get that instead, hopefully i get to try one first.
Old 1st March 2019
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

I have both the Valvet and VM1 for over 17 years now. They're both killer but I mostly gravitate towards the VM1. That mic is just otherworldly in terms of clarity and detail. A stellar mic.
Old 11th March 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
KIDBILL's Avatar
 

I prefered the valvet little character on fem vox over the vm1 ultra detail!
vm1 great on instruments
but I much prefer C12 instead!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Totonno / So Much Gear, So Little Time
12
tamasdragon / High End
14
Jungle Jazz / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
18

Forum Jump
Forum Jump