The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ALL PELUSO STUFF *merged*
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Addict

ALL PELUSO STUFF *merged*

Has anyone done a comparison yet of the Peluso P12 and the C12. How close does it sound. Is the P12 really a good mic. It seems so cheap for a mic that is being compared to a $4500 mic.
Old 30th June 2006
Well actually at the $4500 price point I believe you are referring to the AKG C12VR which I think most here would agree is not a very good sounding mic nor anywhere close to a pristine vintage C12. Peluso's P12 is pretty darn close to the original C12 (as close as you're likely to find without buying an original in mint condition). I don't have one from him yet but I've been on many conversations discussing this exact topic and so far the people who have purchased them are very excited to own one.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Addict

I see you really like the Peluso 22 47le. How does the P22 differe from it. I don mostly female vocals.
Old 30th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji
I see you really like the Peluso 22 47le. How does the P22 differe from it. I don mostly female vocals.

Did you mean the P12 (i.e. not the P22)? We (Atlas Pro Audio) just got one of the first ones in production (it was released 3 days ago, and took 3 days to get here from the factory). And even though we have one, it's going to take a few weeks to do any kind of comparison or evaluation on the microphone. Seeing that it's based around the C12, I would expect it to be relatively flat in the lows and midrange with a present top frequency, but we shall see.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=kittonian]Well actually at the $4500 price point I believe you are referring to the AKG C12VR which I think most here would agree is not a very good sounding mic nor anywhere close to a pristine vintage C12.QUOTE]
The C12 VR is great I have recorded top 10 hits with it.

listen for yourself...

http://www.touchwoodstudios.com/artists/LapofLuxury.mp3
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Not my type of music but deny of the sound..
great sound you got their T_R_S

what pre you using?
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Addict

Yes I ment the P12 sorry. What is the difference between the 22 47 and the 22 47 le
Old 30th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
The C12 VR is great I have recorded top 10 hits with it.
I was speaking in comparison to a pristine vintage C12. The C12VR IMHO doesn't sound anywhere near as good. I'm glad that you are able to make great recordings with yours.

------------------

Joji, as far as recording female vocals for pop/rock/country my choice would be the 22 251 all the way. There's something truly magical about that mic for higher register singers. This also includes alt/pop male vocals where the singer has a high voice.

Since the P12 just came out I cannot speak to exactly how it differs but I can tell you that the 22 47LE is a fantastic microphone but has a big low end and is great for male vocals of virtually any kind, works for acoustic instruments, bass guitar amps, regular guitar amps that you want a big low end in the recording, and R&B/Hip-Hop/Jazz vocals (both male and female).

From what I understand from discussions I've had, the P12 will give you sort of a cross between the 22 47LE and the 22 251 with a big airy top end. I do not have one here from Peluso as of yet so I haven't heard it myself.
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Addict

Does the peluso 251 have that airy top like a Sony CS800?
Old 1st July 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji
Does the peluso 251 have that airy top like a Sony CS800?
I'm guessing you mean the C800G.... the 251 is a good choice if you are looking for the extended highs of a C800G without the $7000 price tag.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Isn't weird that it's only dealers of these microphones on this board? Maybe these mics suck.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
Isn't weird that it's only dealers of these microphones on this board? Maybe these mics suck.
That doesn't surprise me much, but I do have to defend the mics themselves. They're awesome! I've had two and they converted all of my studio mates. We have very good specimens of the top three mics (47, 251, C12) for comparison and I'll say honestly that the 2247LE spends a lot of time plugged in even though these other mics are always available.

I'm trying to stock up before Peluso realizes that he can charge twice as much and get away with it. Lucky for us he's an engineer and seems less worried about marketing potential.
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Addict

Are there any reviews in mix magazine or EQ that talk about the Peluso mics. I can't find any reviews excpet in music forums
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

The 2247LE has a nice price, a nice shape, but I haven´t heard it yet.

What´s about some soundsamples...?
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Addict

I know there are some soundsample on audiolot.com

Are there any reviews anywhere. How come mix magazine has not done one
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Addict

Is the mic the same size as the C12. Can you take the body of a c12 and put the guts of the peluso in side. I like the way the c12 looks
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Guru

There are a couple of reviews in Tape Op.

I'm not a dealer. I've never heard a Peluso that sucks. Each and everyone of them I think sounds great. I have them all except the P12.

I've never bought mine from a dealer.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
I've never had a pristine vintage C12, but I certainly don't agree that a C12vr is not a very good sounding mic.
It may be a good sounding mic, and on certain singers it can be very good, but for the money AKG is trying to charge it's not a "value" mic by any stretch. And the rumours of it not being able to stand up to the original are completely true - not even close. But the point here, I think, is that for much less money (less than half actually) you can get much better mics (Peluso for instance). I can't think of any possible reason to get a C12VR anymore with all these other great mics available. I was suckered into buying one from a good friend, but it hasn't been used for a looooong time.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

People are saying there are no reviews on here....Not true, just do a search, you will find that there are many of us non-dealers very happy with our Pelusos! I have both the 47LE and the 251.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

I like AKG.

But, I think their reissued c12 capsule is lame.

I'm no vintage purist, and the c12 vr isn't bad at all... I just don't think it sounds that great, and it's way overpriced.

Around the same pricerange and sound you might check out the Soundelux 251 (real winner) or the Lawson 251 (heard great things).

Haven't tried that peluso, but theyre reputable, and good boutique stuff IS often better than good big brand gear.

-Justin
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Addict

Does anyone have a p12 yet. They are out now?
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
But the point wasn't about value. While I agree that it is overpriced, I still actually quite like it.
I know your point wasn't about value, but when you put money into the equation (and how could you not) value is a huge issue with that mic. Hey, I don't mean to slam the mic overall - I use it from time to time and I've admitted that it's the best mic for one specific singer I use from time to time - but after using Peluso's mics I can't imagine anyone justifying the VR. If his C12 is of the same calibre, and considering his price, it's a mic every studio should have. I sound like a salesman - I assure you I'm not.

It wasn't long ago that nearly EVERY post about Peluso mics were slams. That's how I knew it was going to be something special. People love to slam new things they don't have, especially when they're better than what they DO have.
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
Not my type of music but deny of the sound..
great sound you got their T_R_S

what pre you using?
Focusrite ISA 430
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Addict

The 22 47 is awesome.
Old 2nd July 2006
Here for the gear

umm..yeah...ok

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be something strange with those Peluso mics..

Or rather the hype around them...

First of all I have never used nor heard one...and that seems to be the case for a lot of people on this board...yet it seems to be the most talked up mic brand around these parts.

Now, some people really dish out against these mic's..claiming faul play and pointing fingers. Some well respected dudes that is ( respect = over 2000 posts )

And then you have the usual ramblers, who always feel they have to protect their investment...( I bought it = alas ! it has to be great ! )

And, starngely enough there are a lot of dealers of Peluso mic's that are chiming in and getting dirty defending the brand...what is that ?? do they get abig kickback on these mic's or what ??

OR...are the microphones truly great ?

Where are the reviews ? Where are the sound examples ? where are the subjective, but hopefully, unbiased, opinions ?

Common sense says there's no such thing as a great deal to be made on professional audio equipment. Quality costs. A lot.

But then, one in a while, you have stuf flike FMR, which are revolutionary for the price...

Is that the case with the Peluso line ?

umm...huh !...oh well.....

Dingo
Old 2nd July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingobat
umm..yeah...ok

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be something strange with those Peluso mics..

Or rather the hype around them...

First of all I have never used nor heard one...and that seems to be the case for a lot of people on this board...yet it seems to be the most talked up mic brand around these parts.

Now, some people really dish out against these mic's..claiming faul play and pointing fingers. Some well respected dudes that is ( respect = over 2000 posts )

And then you have the usual ramblers, who always feel they have to protect their investment...( I bought it = alas ! it has to be great ! )

And, starngely enough there are a lot of dealers of Peluso mic's that are chiming in and getting dirty defending the brand...what is that ?? do they get abig kickback on these mic's or what ??

OR...are the microphones truly great ?

Where are the reviews ? Where are the sound examples ? where are the subjective, but hopefully, unbiased, opinions ?

Common sense says there's no such thing as a great deal to be made on professional audio equipment. Quality costs. A lot.

But then, one in a while, you have stuf flike FMR, which are revolutionary for the price...

Is that the case with the Peluso line ?

umm...huh !...oh well.....

Dingo
so you decide whether someone should be respected based on the amount of posts?
Don't you think thats alittle goofy, there are some GS members who just have a few years experience and have thousands of posts, some members don't get to post that much cause they're busy. When someone posts maybe check out if they've done anything. Are you really going to trust the reviews in audio magazines that get ad money from the manufacturers?

As far as the Peluso mics go my experience has been this, I bought a used 2247 from a GS member who goes by the handle Prince Jamal, which I got for 800 bucks. I got it on a lark , I felt like 800 was cheap enough to gamble on. I already owned a U87 and a U195 amoungst other LDC. I did some A/B tests with the 87 and U195 and the 2247. I found that the 2247 blew away both of those mics for vocals. I've had some dealings with John Peluso who serviced the mic for me at no charge, I thought he was a nice guy who did the right thing. I don't think of my self as protecting my investment since it's not that much of one. I agree that there is a reason why things cost alot most of the time, although there have been some scams
ala Telefunken/Apex. I think JP's and the Pearlmans have had some success because
they've figured out where to put the money in their mics, but what do I know.
I use this mic everyday, and I like it very much.
BTW I think this is my 1100th post, so dont put too much weight in what I have to say.
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Addict

Check 'em out for yourself.
After all, buzz, positive or negative, is only buzz, and has little to do with how the things actually function. You can't tell sh*t about anything from what people say on bulletin boards- even if the majority hate something, it just might be the thing that does it for YOU...

FWIW I've owned a u47, m49's, m50's, km53's, km56's, etc., and the pelusos (2247le & 251 for me) are very nice, high-end sounding mics, and astounding at their price point.
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Nut

I don't have many posts, but does actually owning a 22 47 LE count?
Here's just some of my guns in my collection. It's the top mic.
The 22 47 LE is a fantastic mic. I have used 47's. The 22 47 LE is close enough to any 47, since every 47 I've heard sound different. The metal work on Neumann's and the Rode Classic are much better, but they sound different. It's the sound that counts and the Peluso sounds great, if you like that kind of sound

Read Henry's review. It's pretty accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
ALL PELUSO STUFF *merged*-some-mics.jpg  
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
BTW I think this is my 1100th post, so dont put too much weight in what I have to say.
Don't feel bad. You've only got 900 posts to go!

Just curious, if 2000 posts = respect, then what does 2 posts equal?
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

"Now, some people really dish out against these mic's..claiming faul play and pointing fingers. Some well respected dudes that is ( respect = over 2000 posts )"

Where are these negative posts ? I have seen very little in the way of negativity surrounding these mics.

PV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search