The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
XLR "Y" Cable to Feed Mic Pre's
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

XLR "Y" Cable to Feed Mic Pre's

I have a lunchbox of 8 API 312-Cs that are connected to the patchbay of my console by a custom made XLR to Tuchel snake. Im in the process of building a second drum room, and I would like to run an XLR snake from the drum room to the API's. Since the API's only have one XLR input each, is it okay to connect a "shorty" XLR "Y" cable to each 312-c so I can feed the mic pres from either my drum room or my console? So, basically Im adding a second XLR input to each pre.. but I will be using one or the other.. depending on where I am tracking from. Make sense? Thanks...
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
I have a lunchbox of 8 API 312-Cs that are connected to the patchbay of my console by a custom made XLR to Tuchel snake. Im in the process of building a second drum room, and I would like to run an XLR snake from the drum room to the API's. Since the API's only have one XLR input each, is it okay to connect a "shorty" XLR "Y" cable to each 312-c so I can feed the mic pres from either my drum room or my console? So, basically Im adding a second XLR input to each pre.. but I will be using one or the other.. depending on where I am tracking from. Make sense? Thanks...
I don't see that as being any different than the situation I had in my studio where the inputs for 13-32 were duplicated on four separate patch panels.

Not that we ever double-plugged, but if you _had_ plugged a mic into 13 on more than one panel, then both mics would have gone to whatever pre was patched to 13 on the patchbay.

Same as if you have a "Y" going to your 312.

When it's just you (or a really small crew) this setup should be fine -- as it was for us. Would it be good for a big place with lots of outside engineers? Probably not.

ryan
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

i run mics through the patchbay with no issues.
and i don't see that being much different from what you're wanting to do.

2nd drum room, eh?
luckeeeee !!!
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks.. thats kinda what I thought, but somehow it seemed like something was amiss.. and all I could hear was Bill Murray's character in GhostBusters yelling "never cross the streams!!!!"

And as far as the second drum room... its not by choice. My studio exists on a second floor of a commercial building and has a really nice high ceiling above my live room. But it has a corrugated steel roof, which breaks up reflections nicely.. .but when it rains: Instant percussion. Until I started work on the second drum room, I was the only studio I knew of that would routinely cancel sessions on a count of rain. stike
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

I brought a similar question up here
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...t/12011/10158/

Later on in the thread I had a similar question re splitting output from 1 mic to 2 mic pre's.
Old 30th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
I assume you'd tie the free end of both cables to a patchbay.

The only thing is....

a) you might pick up hum from the unterminated other end of the Y cable

b) the capacitance of your cable will increase, causing more high frequency loss.

I think you're better off making a switch or adding another patchbay. In studio situations like this, people sometimes make an XLR patchbay and via a jumper they decide which room goes to the mike pres. Or, they use Elcos and make one big jump by changing one cable.

BK
Old 30th June 2006
I'm with Katz. Either/Or. Not for technical reasons, but more practical.

The first time you end up tracking something and discover later that someone had a mic plugged in in the other room (it's happened to me), you'll wish you had.

And if you say "It'll never happen to me," then you're that much closer to doom. I've tried it. I know.
Old 30th June 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, the studio I started in had a parallel mic box setup in the B room. If someone left a mic in one room, you'd be recording guitar in the booth then hear footsteps being mixed into your guitar track. I'd go with a patchbay rather than a switch but that's just me. I like patchbays.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Head

When I did work experience in Olympic Studios, they had about 4 wall plates spread around 1 studio all connected to the same inputs. The plates had little LEDs on each channel that lit when a cable was plugged in on any plate. Don't know how the system worked exactly, but seemed like a great idea
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds like my best solution is probably to run a new snake to the second drum room and tie it to my patchbay... just running out of room on my patchbay though, may be time for a second patch bay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search