The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need 2ch all around pre. BAE 1073MPF or NPNG DMP-2NW? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 2nd September 2012
Gear Head

Need 2ch all around pre. BAE 1073MPF or NPNG DMP-2NW?

Need 2ch all around mic pre. My main mic - Brauner Valvet X and Schoeps
CMC64 Stereo set.

Usually I deal with flute violin, guitar, etc. But main thing - recording vocals and acoustic guitar. Lead vocal must be LEAD.
What advise to buy? BAE 1073MPF or NPNG DMP-2NW?
Old 2nd September 2012
Fezzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotab View Post
Need 2ch all around mic pre. My main mic - Brauner Valvet X and Schoeps
CMC64 Stereo set.

Usually I deal with flute violin, guitar, etc. But main thing - recording vocals and acoustic guitar. Lead vocal must be LEAD.
What advise to buy? BAE 1073MPF or NPNG DMP-2NW?
If its an all rounder.. NPNG no question! If I simmered down the duties to fewer key sources I'd go with the 1073, say vox.. bass.. Kick n snare... for acoustic guitar I'd want more finesse, for flute, violin, rooms, everything else + the first three anyway the NPNG will serve you with grace
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

I would suggest to test them out in your place and decide.. You're the only one who could tell which one is "better" for you.. I'm sure you'll find a dealer that will allow that..

Personally I'd get a Forssell SMP-2 for the clean stuff and a BAE DMP (or whatever BAE 10xx you could afford) or an Avedis MA5 for vocal duties..

Just my 0.02$,

I hope this helps somehow..

Cheu
Old 8th September 2012
500 series nutjob

I bet the Electrodyne 501 would sound awesome in this setting.
also the LaChapell 583, Avedis MA5, Great River MP-500NV or the AML EZ1073 would also shine here as well
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

I have a pair of BAE 1028s as well as a 4 channel NPNG. If I could only keep one it would be the 1028 hands down. I still love the NPNG a ton, it is great when you want a little more transient detail or a little bit lighter sound. The 1028 is a bit thicker and IMHO "just right" for vocals.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

I think now about the great river mp2nv. This is a Neve-type, but cleaner low end.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac
Testing a pair of NPNG's against the bae right now as a matter of fact. So far the npng is pretty impressive. Sadly might have to sell it though. :(

Sent from my LS670 using Gearslutz App
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

worksinframes, could you upload any comparative recording of vocals and \ or instruments?
Old 9th September 2012
Very different sounding preamplifiers. The Tonal quality is quite different. Both are stellar vibes, in every way. Just way different emotionally. You can use either, and they will both be extremely versatile. I would say the BAE is more tonally rich sounding. Creamier, and Thicker than the NPNG. The BAE will shape the highs more, with some maple syrup.

The NPNG is extremely open/clean but also "warm" [in the right ways] and real, dimensionally. Though, better term's that I would use is "listenable", and "inviting", while its "electrifying", with really fast transient detail. Somehow the tippy top is round and forgiving.

Certainly, this preamp is not as populated with harmonics, as the BAE, and its extremely detailed. It has been brought into the world, by Karl's ear, and versatility in a mic preamp was a very important goal. It was designed as a precision tool for replicating the detail and depth of your microphones, but FWIW, also provide an ear pleasing response, without sterility or unwanted resonance.

Karl has accomplished something amazing to my ear. I have used both and I would pick either for anything. Though, it depends what type of vibe I am looking to color with.

An easy way to break down the difference, towards what I am hearing --- would be;

The BAE 1073MP is soft/round/sweet/thick/harmonic/weighted/FAT

The NPNG 2/4NW's are "N"eutral/"W"arm/detailed/huge/open/spacial/WIDE
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

Doc Mixwell, thank you for your post.
What about GreatRiver MP2NV vs NPNG?
Old 9th September 2012
Quote:
Doc Mixwell, thank you for your post.
What about GreatRiver MP2NV vs NPNG?
You are very much welcome. What kind of response are you looking for hotab? What would you like to know about the Great River? I will see about fielding your questions as best as possible....But I don't see any subjective descriptors about what your looking for sonically.

While they are all really excellent mic preamps, I am sure your preference could land on one or another. Mine certainly does. Just gotta try them out for a while. Seems easy nuff, unless you live in some remote wilderness, where there are no studios nor dealers to establish relationships with. I surely will not send my demo hardware to just anyone.

I will have nothing but positive remarks about all this VERY high end hardware. You simply have to make a choice and run with it. Take a chance on what GS people say, who have used this hardware before, and ONLY then, can you proceed in executing an educated decision by trying them out with your music and gear.

Then just make records with it for a while. See what comes of it. I'd bet quality results will find you, with any choice you make. Unless you don't know what your doing or why your doing it. Just gotta work with the gear and find out if it couples correctly to your gear, for your objectives, and preferences.

To my ear, the Great River MP2NV is tonally, in between the NPNG and BAE unit. It is not as Thick and Harmonically Rich as the BAE but still slightly round/sweet, even though it has less "maple syrup" on the top. The Great River MP2NV was designed to be a more neutral preamplifier, fast, even and clear, while still providing a "iron" like tone and color.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
Testing a pair of NPNG's against the bae right now as a matter of fact. So far the npng is pretty impressive.
The NPNG is extremely impressive. I didn't mean to downplay it in my earlier post, it does an amazing job of conveying transient detail and punch. It is absolutely killer on drums. It sounds stunning on acoustic guitars. I love mine and will never sell it. But if I could only choose one preamp between BAE and NPNG it would be the BAE, which suits my aesthetic more for vocals and electric guitar and sounds great as well on every other source I've tried.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

Doc Mixwell, i would certainly want to try in my studio NPNG, BAE and GR, but I do not have that opportunity.
Some time ago I bought a 3D audio "preamp in paradise" comparasion DVD. I liked Gordon Model 5 on acoustic guitar, but for vocals I would like something a little more "in your face" (1073, GR or may be CraneSong Flamingo). Unfortunately there is no comparison NPGN.
I can not buy two different preamp in this moment. Looking for a compromise
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
Doc Mixwell, i would certainly want to try in my studio NPNG, BAE and GR, but I do not have that opportunity.
Some time ago I bought a 3D audio "preamp in paradise" comparasion DVD. I liked Gordon Model 5 on acoustic guitar, but for vocals I would like something a little more "in your face" (1073, GR or may be CraneSong Flamingo). Unfortunately there is no comparison NPGN.
I can not buy two different preamp in this moment. Looking for a compromise
Hi hotab, understood.

*Compromise is certainly a word that haunts the job of an audio engineer

With regard to an "in-yo-face" sound quality, well, I would suggest I can serve that up to you, with any of these preamp's. If you mean, "I want a thick sound", than the BAE is very much the best choice. I can say for sure, they all sound great, [as mic preamps of this quality usually do] and working with the gear first hand will prove that. Like I said, one, or another might be your holy grail of sound. Won't know until you try it and see how the rubber feels on the road.

Though I would hope any dealer you purchase this hardware from, will A) Help you make the right choice, B) Allow an evaluation period behind your purchase. Having used all of this hardware, I can say for sure, its all really good, so its not like your choosing between life and death, just different kinds of awesome.

All this hardware is made by small "ma-and-pa" style boutique company's, that understand the need for trial. These guys are really listening themselves, so its only right the users do as well!!! Here at DSPdoctor, we encourage and offer that sort of thing, on your purchase, but we also want to work with you on every level, before the sale; to make sure your getting the right hardware for your applications.

It means a lot to me, personally, that my clients pull the trigger the right way the first time. This saves people time and money, and instead of shooting out gear all day, you actually get to work, with the hardware you need, when you need it. I know it is really tough to decide until you try it, so we do our best to help with demos when we can. I can tell you I purchase a lot of gear for my studio, which in turn lets me loan out stuff to my clients when they want to try stuff out.

may the force be with you,

peace
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac
Just tested the NPNG against Neves, API, and Grace on piano and drums. The NPNG won every shoot out in our opinion. We were surprised. On drums it was especially impressive. I tried it on acoustic guitar as well with the same preamps, but also added an old RCA BA-21a tube pre to the list. On acoustic the RCA was my favorite, followed by NPNG (close just without the tube-ness), then Neve. It ate the Grace for lunch.

Previous posts are accurate about the flavor differences and I wouldn't prefer the NPNG on everything, but I preferred them way more often than I expected to. They don't "add" anything fun to the sound like a Neve does, but they're clearer and truer.

Last edited by worksinframes; 12th September 2012 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: Adding comment
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Aside from the sound (which after 5 years of use still knocks me out), every aspect of the Great River screams high end professional gear. I use it on everything, with no regrets.

Cdlt
Old 12th September 2012
Quote:
Just tested the NPNG against Neves, API, and Grace on piano and drums. The NPNG won every shoot out in our opinion. We were surprised. On drums it was especially impressive. I tried it on acoustic guitar as well with the same preamps, but also added an old RCA BA-21a tube pre to the list. On acoustic the RCA was my favorite, followed by NPNG (close just without the tube-ness), then Neve. It ate the Grace for lunch.

Previous posts are accurate about the flavor differences and I wouldn't prefer the NPNG on everything, but I preferred them way more often than I expected to. They don't "add" anything fun to the sound like a Neve does, but they're clearer and truer.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
I tried it on acoustic guitar as well with the same preamps, but also added an old RCA BA-21a tube pre to the list. On acoustic the RCA was my favorite, followed by NPNG (close just without the tube-ness)
To me the Schoeps paired with tube preamps are sonic heaven for acoustic recordings.
I have the Schoeps CMC64 as well, my choice as preamp was the QES Labs SMP-2.
You can read my impressions here.
IMHO a great sounding pair.
Some samples recorded through DPAs mics from this thread.
Old 15th September 2012
I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt the npng is THE all arounder. I'm making a record right now with neve 1084s, 3118s (33114s basically), dakings, Apis, some tube mercury thing, maags, and some other 500 series stuff, and damn if I don't wish I had an npng. It's the only mic pre that I've used that will keep up with me 100 percent of the time from a functionality and ease to gain structure standpoint. That and the tone is incredible. Very complex sounding.. Fast but with a lot depth and soundstage. Nothing in the world like it. Literally. Also the designer, Karl Diehl, is one of the best human beings I've ever run across. Another vote for the NPNG.
Old 15th September 2012
Rascal Audio V2 2 channel 500 series, $1195

Check his facebook.
Old 16th September 2012
tab
Here for the gear

Schoeps cmc641 and NPNG don't go together so well imho. Maybe for classical music it would be a match made in heaven, all the rest needs some more vibe.
Schoeps cmc641 and BAE 1073MP is a very sweet combo. I was testing Retro Powerstrip but after I heard it with BAE 1073MP I decide to go for it. Even for voice it's amazing.
It is what I heard and so it is very subjective.
Old 16th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
Schoeps cmc641 and NPNG don't go together so well imho. Maybe for classical music it would be a match made in heaven, all the rest needs some more vibe.
Schoeps cmc641 and BAE 1073MP is a very sweet combo. I was testing Retro Powerstrip but after I heard it with BAE 1073MP I decide to go for it. Even for voice it's amazing.
It is what I heard and so it is very subjective.
Super old post, but since I've had experience with this exact same pairing (Schoeps CMC6-41 + NPNG), I have to say my experience was exactly the opposite.

I bumped some upper mid frequency maybe 1.5 db with a UAD eq), but on that song, everyone who's heard it has commented how great and effortless the acoustic guitar sounded.

Hard to find an application where acoustic instruments do not seriously shine through the clear and warm channel of an NPNG.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search