The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need help – preamp for vocals modern rock/pop/punk music
Old 31st August 2012
Here for the gear

Need help – preamp for vocals modern rock/pop/punk music

Hi, I need some advices to find the best preamp for vocals (around 1500 and 2000 box).
I produce very modern rock (like Paramore, blink-182, etc.).
The mic is the Shure SM7B and the sound interface is the RME Fireface, the singer (me) has dynamic male vocals (often mid and high pitched vocals / no screaming, or rarely)
I personally don’t know anything about high-end compressor and high-end preamp. First I wanted to buy the Distressor, but some guys told me it was better for me to buy first a great peamp. I know that some of you will advice me to try first middle class preamp to learn how to use this kind of stuff, but I haven’t much time, got some money, so I want to step up faster than usual…

I have some questions about guitar recording too (on the supposition I had a great preamp and I knew how to use it well):
- When I’m using a real amp (SM57 in front of the cab), should I plug the mic directly through the RME Fireface (Guitar amp -> SM57 –> Fireface), or is it better to plug it through the preamp first (Guitar amp -> SM75 –> preamp –> Fireface)?
- When I’m using a Pod (I mean line6 pod with amp modeling), should I plug it directly through the RME Firecae (Pod HD -> Fireface), or is it better to plug it through the preamp first (pod HD -> preamp -> Fireface)?
When I say “should I”, I mean “is it the usual method pros do when recording guitar amp or line6 pod?”

Thank you

And sorry for my bad English

MADMAD
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Great River ME1NV would be an option for the price. But there are so many that would work. Neve 1073 style preamps are generally good in this application because they can be driven a little hotter and give the vocal a bit of an edge and excitement when the singer goes loud. Lots of options from Neve, BAE, Avedis, Vintech, Aurora ... 19" or 500 series, you name it. Tons of 1073 clones at just about every price point.

If it were me, I'd track that type of vocal through a ME-1NV or 1073 style pre with a compressor of choice (for me, maybe an ELOP) just to catch peaks. During mixdown I'd go for an older 1176 and drive the input gain with no GR to get a bit more breakup when the track calls for it (followed by another compressor of choice, and perhaps a tube EQ ... whatever sounds good and is available). Lots of other variables, but that would be my place to start, FWIW.

Lots of layers in pop punk vocals though ...
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Neve 1066
Old 4th September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Great River ME1NV would be an option for the price. But there are so many that would work. Neve 1073 style preamps are generally good in this application because they can be driven a little hotter and give the vocal a bit of an edge and excitement when the singer goes loud. Lots of options from Neve, BAE, Avedis, Vintech, Aurora ... 19" or 500 series, you name it. Tons of 1073 clones at just about every price point.

If it were me, I'd track that type of vocal through a ME-1NV or 1073 style pre with a compressor of choice (for me, maybe an ELOP) just to catch peaks. During mixdown I'd go for an older 1176 and drive the input gain with no GR to get a bit more breakup when the track calls for it (followed by another compressor of choice, and perhaps a tube EQ ... whatever sounds good and is available). Lots of other variables, but that would be my place to start, FWIW.

Lots of layers in pop punk vocals though ...
Hi ! thanks for your reply and advises !

I read a lot of forums/reviews about the great river ME1NV, and they say it's a really vintage type of sound (70') - but I'm looking for a modern sound like the US pop rock / pop punk bands of 2010 - as I don't really know anything about preamp sound, I would like to go with a "sure bet", the most popular in the genre for example. I don't want to be "creative" or get a very special sound, I just want a good and mordern quality.

I read a lot of great things about the 1073, it seems to be more versatile, but it is also more expensive.

One last thing, what do you advise me:
- buy a 2000$ preamp and record vocals without a compressor (mic -> preamp -> RME fireface) without a compressor,
- or buy a 1000$ preamp + 1000$ compressor (mic - compressor - preamp - RME fireface) ?

Regards,

madmad
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

if your looking for a 2 channel pre check out the A Designs Pacifica

for one channel the Ventura pre/eq combo
there based on vintage consoles but are very modern
California Dreamin’: Pacifica & Ventura Compare and Contrast | A-Designs Audio
Old 4th September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
if your looking for a 2 channel pre check out the A Designs Pacifica

for one channel the Ventura pre/eq combo
there based on vintage consoles but are very modern
California Dreamin’: Pacifica & Ventura Compare and Contrast | A-Designs Audio
Hi ! Thanks for these new informations. These preamps look like more modern to me (more American :p) and I like that. It will be hard for me to find these products in Europe...

You will probably think I'm a noob (and you're probably right :D) but I don't see the purpose of 2 channels on this kind of thing. I just need to record the vocals (1 singer), so I suppose I only need the Ventura.

Are you able to tell me if I do need a Converter with these kind of preamp ?
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

Just to second previous posters---The Great River is a very good choice for your applications.

One of the features I really like about that pre is the ability to drive the input will keeping the output low. Since you sound like your are familiar with guitar amps, its the same idea as being able to drive an amp's preamp for distortion while keeping the power amp (that drives the cab) at a reasonable volume.

It kills on both mics you mentioned and will last forever. It also has a really solid DI for bass and elec guitar.

Other options would be an API 312 or the Pacifica. They both more mid-forward than the GR, which can be really perfect for cutting through a rock mix.

Since a good front end never goes out of style, you might want to consider a lunchbox. You could throw a GR and an API in there for around 2k all in including the lunchbox and pick up a comp when you have the funds. Then you have two of the great flavors of rock and platform to grow.
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Whenever i read pop and punk in the same sentence i can taste vomit in the back of my throat.
Old 5th September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy View Post
Just to second previous posters---The Great River is a very good choice for your applications.

One of the features I really like about that pre is the ability to drive the input will keeping the output low. Since you sound like your are familiar with guitar amps, its the same idea as being able to drive an amp's preamp for distortion while keeping the power amp (that drives the cab) at a reasonable volume.

It kills on both mics you mentioned and will last forever. It also has a really solid DI for bass and elec guitar.

Other options would be an API 312 or the Pacifica. They both more mid-forward than the GR, which can be really perfect for cutting through a rock mix.

Since a good front end never goes out of style, you might want to consider a lunchbox. You could throw a GR and an API in there for around 2k all in including the lunchbox and pick up a comp when you have the funds. Then you have two of the great flavors of rock and platform to grow.
Thanks a lot, you helped me a lot !

After reading a LOT of reviews and topics, I will go for the Pacifica and go to the next step. The Great River seems really interesting too, but I have a good feeling about the Pacifica (and I don't know why^^).
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Cool...glad to help.

One other thing to keep in mind, A Designs makes a 500 format pre, the P1, which is around $800 and similar to the Pacifica. No hands on experience with it personally, but there are some threads that discuss it, and the differences between it and the Pacifica.

A Designs also makes a 2-slot 19" rackmount unit for around $300.

If you only need 1 Channel, you might consider this route, especially since you could add a comp all for under 2k.

I don't have any 500 series comps so I can't make a recommend, but there are tons of threads and lots of people willing to chime in. I do have some 500 format Pre's (RND, MA5) and they sound great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search