The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Valley People Dyna-Mite: What's it good for? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th August 2012
Valley People Dyna-Mite: What's it good for?

Hello yall!
I've got a Dyna-Mite, and I use the compressor alot on drum bus, banjo, mandolin, snare and other transient kinda stuff when I need them to be more punchy. And I use the gate typically on snare and bass drum.

Any suggestions on what else might it be good with?
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Guru

The only thing I consistently use it for is smaking the CRAP out of snare drums for that 70's smacked down sound.
Old 30th August 2012
Mine stay mostly on drums. Room mics and snare. Don't like them on the entire drum bus much, as they can get a bit grainy and kill fidelity if your OH's are in the bus mix, albeit punchy as hell.

I like them on singular pieces of the kit more. Extremely punchy.

Can sound cool limiting a rock bass, if transparency if not what you need. One thing is that they are ALL old as dirt now, and all need recapping. If yours has not been recapped, it isn't sounding like it used to, or probably should.

As the caps get older, they get even more dirty sounding in my opinion, and the bottom end becomes a bit crappy.

The purple graphics ones sound a little cleaner to me than the black ones too (not sure why), but they are really similar in sound and behavior.

The old black ones are some mean, nasty, angry sounding bastards...in a good way though. I usually never run the snare through this without the unprocessed track in parallel anymore though. If left on it's own with just the processed track, IMHO it get a bit dirty for modern work.

I mix it in underneath until my unprocessed signal begins to lose clarity, and then back it off some. Then you get the clarity of the original track, but the punch and aggressiveness of the dynamite both.

john
Old 30th August 2012
DUCKING!

We know the Dyna-mite is one of the best gates/expanders out there. Now try it for ducking

Experiment keying the SD mic to the drum room mics. Same with the kick signal.

Like what's going on?

Now gate the result.
Old 30th August 2012
I've got the black one, and it's way lo fi Kinda like it the way it sounds now, so I won't be attempting to fix it.. never change a winning team, you know I usually use it for paralell stuff, and balance it with the unprocessed track.. I havent used it for rock bass yet, but I will try it as soon as I get an opportunity. I tryed it with slap bass though, and it sounded cool!
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
DUCKING!

We know the Dyna-mite is one of the best gates/expanders out there. Now try it for ducking

Experiment keying the SD mic to the drum room mics. Same with the kick signal.

Like what's going on?

Now gate the result.
Cool, sounds like something I could like :D
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubstubs View Post
Hello yall!
I've got a Dyna-Mite, and I use the compressor alot on drum bus, banjo, mandolin, snare and other transient kinda stuff when I need them to be more punchy. And I use the gate typically on snare and bass drum.

Drums, Perc- Tambo, Claps [awesome for pulling some room in], cowbell, snare bottom, room, and the aforementioned Bass Gtr. Also loops, drum machines, etc.. Not so much on mando and banjo IMO, something less smacky and more transparent, but to each his own.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Addict

Single drum stuff.

I also used to use Gain Brains in about the same places.
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post

Extremely punchy.

if transparency if not what you need.

One thing is that they are ALL old as dirt now, and all need recapping. If yours has not been recapped, it isn't sounding like it used to, or probably should.

The old black ones are some mean, nasty, angry sounding bastards...

IMHO it get a bit dirty for modern work.
I'd agree with ALL of that John!

But recapping aside, I think mine is going to stay just like it is until it breaks. I like the angry, nasty, mean bastard just like he is......
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'd agree with ALL of that John!

But recapping aside, I think mine is going to stay just like it is until it breaks. I like the angry, nasty, mean bastard just like he is......
You forgot to mention he was a skinny b*stard [1 RU/Stereo]...
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You forgot to mention he was a skinny b*stard [1 RU/Stereo]...
Oops. Yeah - skinny, mean, nasty, dirty, angry, ill tempered and SPITEFUL. They will kick azz on anything you put in their path......

Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubstubs View Post

Mine stays inserted on a drum "crush" bus, really like it there.

best,
Sean
Old 31st August 2012
Room mics. Crush the living hell out of them to where it's almost an ambient sound. Unreal.
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
skinny, mean, nasty, dirty, angry, ill tempered and SPITEFUL. They will kick azz on anything you put in their path ...
Like an old Krackhead, it can be pretty ugly and Nasty. HiFi it ain't. Wooly and thin at the same time. Works best in parallel. Even though it does it's own little thing, I find it pretty interchangeable with either of a Dbx160X/XT or a Distressor.
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mine stay mostly on drums. Room mics and snare. Don't like them on the entire drum bus much, as they can get a bit grainy and kill fidelity if your OH's are in the bus mix, albeit punchy as hell.

I like them on singular pieces of the kit more. Extremely punchy.

Can sound cool limiting a rock bass, if transparency if not what you need. One thing is that they are ALL old as dirt now, and all need recapping. If yours has not been recapped, it isn't sounding like it used to, or probably should.

As the caps get older, they get even more dirty sounding in my opinion, and the bottom end becomes a bit crappy.

The purple graphics ones sound a little cleaner to me than the black ones too (not sure why), but they are really similar in sound and behavior.

The old black ones are some mean, nasty, angry sounding bastards...in a good way though. I usually never run the snare through this without the unprocessed track in parallel anymore though. If left on it's own with just the processed track, IMHO it get a bit dirty for modern work.

I mix it in underneath until my unprocessed signal begins to lose clarity, and then back it off some. Then you get the clarity of the original track, but the punch and aggressiveness of the dynamite both.

john
There are no more than 6 electrolytics in there, so recapping is not a problem.... Also, the calibration procedure is probably the easiest and simplest ive ever seen on any compressor (unlike a Compex for example) or any audio processor for that matter.

In fact, its one of the only devices ive seen in which the manual states that one of the calibration steps should performed by ear with music as a test tone, rather than using some fancy test equipment, now thats something you dont see everyday in a service manual!
Old 31st August 2012
Gear Addict

Try the dynamite as a parallel drum buss with a couple level-or's behind it in crunch mode. It's pretty sweet.
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear
gotta love the level-or too, nastiest box on the planet.
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
Try the dynamite as a parallel drum buss with a couple level-or's behind it in crunch mode. It's pretty sweet.
Thats like combining gasoline and thinner!!!! must try it, i just think it may sound like too much! the dynamite alone is... well.... Dynamite!
Old 1st September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Thats like combining gasoline and thinner!!!! must try it, i just think it may sound like too much! the dynamite alone is... well.... Dynamite!
That combination will not work on every style of music. The level-ors make the dynamite have even more edge. Try it out!
Old 1st September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
gotta love the level-or too, nastiest box on the planet.
Level-ors are a beautiful thing.
Old 1st September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
There are no more than 6 electrolytics in there, so recapping is not a problem.... Also, the calibration procedure is probably the easiest and simplest ive ever seen on any compressor (unlike a Compex for example) or any audio processor for that matter.

In fact, its one of the only devices ive seen in which the manual states that one of the calibration steps should performed by ear with music as a test tone, rather than using some fancy test equipment, now thats something you dont see everyday in a service manual!
Yes!

I don't remember how many, haven't looked at the schems in about 5-6 years give or take, but I recapped both of my stereo units, as well as a few of my other valley boxes all at once. With a desoldering unit, we are talking 15-20 minutes maybe per box.
More time taking the lid off than replacing the caps.

On one of mine, a tl074 (02? or 5534? can't remember) was noisy, it was in a socket, I swapped it, and all was well again. $0.49...or probably less actually.

There are more caps in the 440 etc. because they are channel strip type jobbys with multiple functions, but it's still not bad. I think it's worth it on these. They didn't lose any attitude, just sounded maybe like new again.

That said, I am not old enough to remember the old black units when they were new.

Ez, ez project though.

john
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes!

I don't remember how many, haven't looked at the schems in about 5-6 years give or take, but I recapped both of my stereo units, as well as a few of my other valley boxes all at once. With a desoldering unit, we are talking 15-20 minutes maybe per box.
More time taking the lid off than replacing the caps.

On one of mine, a tl074 (02? or 5534? can't remember) was noisy, it was in a socket, I swapped it, and all was well again. $0.49...or probably less actually.

There are more caps in the 440 etc. because they are channel strip type jobbys with multiple functions, but it's still not bad. I think it's worth it on these. They didn't lose any attitude, just sounded maybe like new again.

That said, I am not old enough to remember the old black units when they were new.

Ez, ez project though.

john
That would be a 5534, which btw i also recommend replacing the tantals near it.

You gotta love the straightforward design of this thing!
Old 21st January 2018
Here for the gear

I've had the valley international dynamite about 30 years. I use mine for stage mikes, (super high gain, no feedback ever) and also process the whole band (board). I set the board and volume and use the vca's on the dynamite to raise and lower house volume.I run it with only one light flashing at peak. It inhances the heck out of everything!
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

It's a character box.

I use mine for smashing and blowing out drum rooms , it's amazing and for that alone it's worth having. Nothing does it like that. Also I use it for indie rock guitars and bass. I used to think of it as a one trick pony but not any more, just depends on how you apply it. Pair of Coles on a kit hit with the valley the right way is the sound good 70's Rock n Roll. The black version with the purple stripes didn't do it for me like the plastic stand alone unit. Not sure what the difference is, if any.
Attached Thumbnails
Valley People Dyna-Mite: What's it good for?-img_3306.jpg   Valley People Dyna-Mite: What's it good for?-img_3308.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeghost View Post
Room mics. Crush the living hell out of them to where it's almost an ambient sound. Unreal.
Yep tucked under the kit and good night! It's done!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search