The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IN EAR MONITOR HEADPHONE PLUGS to use while positioning mics on loud sources Studio Headphones
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Nut

IN EAR MONITOR HEADPHONE PLUGS to use while positioning mics on loud sources

Which in ear monitor ear buds are the best sounding ones for an engineer to use?

When working in a room where the gear is in the same room as the musician(s)

Someone may be playing drums and there may be a guitarist playing though a loud guitar amp also and you want to hear accuratley what is coming through your microphones.

Adjusting the microphone positioning while the players are playing live and being able to hear what the mics are picking up ACCURATLEY.

Love to know your thoughts here.
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have some custom molded "Future Sonics" which are pretty much the $hite... but I bet you could really do well with this ---->

1. http://futuresonics.vista.com/tab0/s...em_id%253D7xov

and this...

2. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...3&src=3SOSWXXA

Under $200 and you'll get tones of isolation with a fairly neutral sounding ear piece (I have the Em3's in the first link and use them all the time for casual listening... I think their awesome.. not overly hyped and fairly natural sounding).

Of course you'll need a long headphones cable, otherwise you'll have to spend some money on hip pack and transmitter.

hope this helps!
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

i use etymotic er4 for that
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Nut

Are the Etymotic ones comfy to wear and do they come with all the accessories like the foam tubes and stuff?

I was looking at the Sony E2's in wae monitor buds. They are only $99! Are they any good?

What about a pair of Sennheiser HD280's? They are headphones that completely cover your ears and look like they may isolate the sound somewhat?

Just looking at alternatives and want something that will just give me an accurate picture of what the mics are hearing
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershal Pearlma
Are the Etymotic ones comfy to wear and do they come with all the accessories like the foam tubes and stuff?

I was looking at the Sony E2's in wae monitor buds. They are only $99! Are they any good?

What about a pair of Sennheiser HD280's? They are headphones that completely cover your ears and look like they may isolate the sound somewhat?

Just looking at alternatives and want something that will just give me an accurate picture of what the mics are hearing
Yer gonna need way more than headphones if you want to check something like drums or electric guitar: 30 - 40db isolation if possible. What I suggested will get you just that.
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershal Pearlma
I had a pair for casual listening. Flimsy - the cord broke within a month. Total waste of 100 bucks.
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

I would recommend the etymotic research molded model (er4 with musicians earplug). They fit very well and provide over 42db of isolation. . These earplugs are what we all use in orchestras. if you just buy the filters you can get 20,12 or 9 db flat dampening if you swap out the electronics with a filter. Alternatively you can get the ER4 which just has a generic fit, but better specs.

kjetil
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Actually I have had bad experience with the etymotic er-3's...

but I use Shure e-4's, a huge step up from the e-2's and 3's for that matter. They are very neutral.

I actually use them as my stage in-ear and with my I-pod and with mic positioning and even when tracking remotly in a single room.

I would recomend custom molds too.

PV
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Remote Audio HN-7506

forget in ear monitors...you want something with major volume attenuation of the band with some relatively accurate reproduction.

Remote Audio HN-7506: $285

Good luck! trans
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Etymotic Research Er-4S here too, and I'm very happy with them.
If I need more isolatión, I wear an aditional industrial protection cans, like the ones used for shooting, or people in airports or helicopters. I brought mine in a gunsmith's shop

With that combo you have a really great isolation for placing mics on loud sources and a very detailed and trustworthy sound
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search