The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sony dre 2000 mystery Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

so whats the method to create the best impulse responses, software & workflow-wise? it would be cool to have a backup of my favourite EMT, SONY and LEXICON settings should there be a downtime.
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

I took the whole DSP vs. CPU for convolution debate to it's own separate thread here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...dern-cpu.html? as it's a tangent to the Sony unit this thread is about.
Old 28th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Jupiter8, the Sony and Yamaha hardware convolution units use many DSP's to parallel process the vast amount of math needed in the limited amount of time available for real time use. This touches on it a bit but there is more net info with some digging.

YAMAHA SREV1

from the above link: "that the SREV1 employs no fewer than 32 DSPs designed specifically to perform the many calculations required for real-time convolving reverberation -- up to 520,000 steps per sample!"

So these hardware units divide up the work with lots of DSPs (high chip count was the term I used in my post that confused you) all working at the same time (parallel processing) to do all the math and apply it in the small amount of time there is for real time use. A DSP is basically just a specialty CPU so think of that above Yamaha hardware unit as having 32 CPU's in it or a CPU with 32 cores. All those DSP's cost money and hence the expensive price tag with the hardware.

Now in a computer you have one CPU trying to do what the many DSP's are doing in the hardware unit. Even with multiple cores in the CPU its not quite parallel processing in that there is still a serial gate keeper directing traffic in that CPU. It may even be worse in that I thought I saw some prior post here that said basically only one CPU core is doing the work with convolution plugins which would make it even that much harder to process in real time. So with software it has to do more math using fewer pipelines.

Bottom line is that hardware units and computers do it differently. I've seen some statements that hardware does a ratio of 1:1 convolution whereas software doesn't. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the mechanics of both can chime in and shed some more light on the subject for you. Hope it makes some sense to you now.
How exactly do you measure "steps per sample"?

32 DSPs for 2001 / 2's standard is quite a lot, if not mind boggling to me. However, regardless of the abundant count of DSPs that the unit offers, they were limited to a particular performance at that time.

It is hard to believe that the performance of 32 dsps from almost 10 years ago can't be beaten? Notwithstanding the fact that contemporary cpus offer either four or eight cores such as my MP, which is obviously less than yamaha has, they must still be capable to hustle as good as a group of 32 dsps that are carrying a decade old standard with em?

I mean, look at what VFX companies, such as my cousin's were capable of in 2001 / 2002 and what they have at their disposal nowadays? Computer-hardware is so easily outdated, that it sometimes just takes couple of months for you to upgrade your workhorse once more. Now take ten years into account, all the drastic technology changes that have occurred from 2001 to 2008, talking about twice the time if we add sony's DRE 2000 to the discussion, and yet, nobody is able to fully reproduce their attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
I took the whole DSP vs. CPU for convolution debate to it's own separate thread here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...dern-cpu.html? as it's a tangent to the Sony unit this thread is about.
great, already got intrigued by the posts just after couple of hours Slutz are fast at that topic :D
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
IRs are a static representation of a hardware box. the DRE777 does modulation as well by the sound of it, so does the DRE 2000. IRs dont do that, theyre static per se.
It might sound like it, but that's not the case.

There's already a test between S777 and Altiverb in the reverb thread in the geek forum. The test use the exact same IR.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

I'm curious which setting does CLA use on his DRE2000.
If someone knows, shoot it
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Maybe the LEDs are broken?
Sorry to breathe life into an old thread but the lack of LED info in the other panels is most likely just a result of the photography.

I notice that when shooting stuff to put up on ebay often I only catch a small part of the LEDs lighting up. This is pretty common, I don't know why it happens though and I guess it could depend on the shutter speed.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

Man, I thought this was about Dre.

J
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

I know that i prefer old lexicon's (when they work) llike a reverb 200 or a PCM70 over the new ones...

not that a new reverb can be verygood (bricasti, tc 4000, altiverb, ...), but those old, on paper technical inferior units, often sound beter than many new ones.

But for me nothing beats a good old full analog plate verb like an EMT 140... Totally outdated technics, but that does not matter, what matters is what you hear.
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

what are the differences between the 2000 and the 2000A?
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
what are the differences between the 2000 and the 2000A?
I could be wrong but I think its a preset update thingy
Old 17th February 2016
MPK
Here for the gear

Does anybody know which version of DRE-2000 was first released? I think that DRE-2000 was the first and DRE-2000A second gen. (like DAE-1100 vs. DAE-1100A), but I am not sure. Which version is more to tend to failure? Which version and #SN is better / rarer / and why? Does anybody know if their AC/DC power stage, fans and remote controller had any troubles or defects? I found that DRE-2000 has digital I/O that DRE-2000A does not (why?)...I am looking for manual + schematics too. Thanks for advice.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK View Post
Does anybody know which version of DRE-2000 was first released? I think that DRE-2000 was the first and DRE-2000A second gen. (like DAE-1100 vs. DAE-1100A), but I am not sure. Which version is more to tend to failure? Which version and #SN is better / rarer / and why? Does anybody know if their AC/DC power stage, fans and remote controller had any troubles or defects? I found that DRE-2000 has digital I/O that DRE-2000A does not (why?)...I am looking for manual + schematics too. Thanks for advice.
Well I have IRS of them both, sounding faboules
Old 18th February 2016
Mho
Lives for gear

Nice! Where did you get them?
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK View Post
You can get the manual here.
Old 19th February 2016
MPK
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic View Post
You can get the manual here.
but there is no "full" manual, only 17 pages (the rest of pages are the same as previous 17) with no service part...nor schematics. I know that whole service manual does not exist anymore, but saw some original paperback manual (on Egay, Yahoo auctions,...) and it was about 1cm thick, so definitely more than 17 pages...

From serial numbers of these units I understood that DRE-2000 was first released and DRE-2000A is "upgraded" version, but why they removed digital I/O option from 2000A ? The second thing is removed rear aluminum stoppers...

btw, I found a price of DRE-2000 in Billboard magazine - it was 15.000 USD in 1980.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the Slate Digital Verbsuite plugin for the elusive Dre 2000 sound, it has Dre 2000 impulse responses blah etc?(I'm new to this IR stuff), I haven't got an iLok dongle, the software iLok is not authoried to work with the demo?!

I'm aware Altiverb does it too but is too expensive and VS seems better on paper...
Old 4th November 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
Anyone tried the Slate Digital Verbsuite plugin for the elusive Dre 2000 sound, it has Dre 2000 impulse responses blah etc?(I'm new to this IR stuff), I haven't got an iLok dongle, the software iLok is not authoried to work with the demo?!

I'm aware Altiverb does it too but is too expensive and VS seems better on paper...
Yes, it sounds great!
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Yes, it sounds great!
In my daw I found Reverence(been using VVV and other third party VSTs for reverb since I began), seemingly this is also an IR reverb. I messed about with the built in Vintage Compressor and Gate of Cubase too and got quite a nice sound(a certain preset sounded good - Dub Studio or something was the IR) so interested to try the Verbsuite for the Dre 2000 now. Cheers...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search