The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Reverbs, Delays & Tape Echos Anyone? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

Vintage Reverbs, Delays & Tape Echos Anyone?

My outboard gear rack is definitely short when it comes to reverbs and delays, something I am planning on changing over the course of the next couple of months. Other than a PCM 70 and an Eventide H3000 DS/E, I really would like to get some cool boutique type reverbs... mostly because I want a more organic type of sound and really don't like most of the digital verbs I have heard (notice I said PCM 70 and not 81 or 91). With that said, what have you got that has mojo? What have you got that is vintage and cool? One trick pony's are fine with me.... so show me the weird!
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

This isnt a "high end" peice, but
DOD R-848 Reverb system - early 80's - 6 springs(3 lengths), a sweet little buit in eq, and a drive control, its a pretty weird peice, and can be found (when they are found) for super cheap.

i think it was chandler that made a simaler one later on, i tried it against my DOD and prefered the DOD simply b/c i could get more color + grit out of it, great on snare!!!! but seriously, any rackmont springs are pretty sweet!

Not vintage but seriously my most used delay peice is the EHX 16 second digital delay, sounds killer on everyhting, and can get very wacky, great stomp box, and sounds super analog, very "SWEET"
Old 24th June 2006
Just a few examples:

AKG BX-20E (fridge-sized spring reverb: impressive, warm-sounding)
Ursa Major Space Station (1977 digital reverb/echo: some weird effects; reverb blends nicely with synths)
Dynacord DRS-78 (1978 digital reverb: try it!)
Dynacord VRS-23 (analog delay: one spooky reverb setting!)
Old 25th June 2006
Gear maniac

AMS RMX-16 + DMX 1580s

AMS-Neve are probably going to come out with plug-in versions of these soon but just for your info the:

AMS DMX 1580s delay/pitch changer

AMS RMX-16 reverberator

are the two most wonderful units ever made and over engineered to the tits.

If you can afford to drop $5000 plus another $1000 on repair/refurbish then go ahead, if you can find them in decent condition...good luck there.

But really, just wait a few months for the Plug-ins to come out. The Neve 1073 eq emulation they just did is apparently a whole new level of realism in plug-ins snd has seriously raised the bar pretty high so i would expect that when the AMS delay and reverb plugs come out they will be some serious stuff that a lot of folks will drop the cash on just to have two of the best sounding effects units ever made in their arsenal of tools. With the way manufacturing is going and the Chinese competition, there is no way that the hardware will ever be re-issued. It is just way too expensive to make something like these now.
Old 25th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
AMS-Neve are probably going to come out with plug-in versions of these soon...
Whoa hold the phone. Where did you hear this? Is this for real? I don't see any reason why they couldn't nail this aside from the sound of the converters... which would probably be good enough for me.
Old 25th June 2006
Gear addict

Should be able to pick up an AMS reverb restored for well under 4k- contact David Kulka at studio electronics, he gets them through-
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
some cool boutique type reverbs... mostly because I want a more organic type of sound
Klark Teknik DN780 can fit that. Digital, but doesn't sound like it. Excellent plates. "Alive" setting is definitely unique. And it has cool options for sampling with the "Infinite Rooms".

And Eventide 2016 - stereo rooms are great.

Both of those are so easy to use too, best interfaces I've seen in any FX processors.

Steve
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
My outboard gear rack is definitely short when it comes to reverbs and delays, something I am planning on changing over the course of the next couple of months. With that said, what have you got that has mojo? What have you got that is vintage and cool? One trick pony's are fine with me.... so show me the weird!
Yamaha E1010 analog delay is a great box to have around.
Guaranteed you'll find a use for it here n there.
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Tiled bathroom. Cheap speaker. Cheap mic.

Steve

PS - It's best to use this verb during the day so you don't wake up the wife and kids.
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Lexicon:

PCM70
224XL
480L
300L
PCM42

Eventide H8000
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear
talking about AMS ddl and verb:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer
I don't see any reason why they couldn't nail this aside from the sound of the converters... which would probably be good enough for me.
those verters definitely have a sound... if plug versions come out i'll be 1st in line to do a shoot out but i like my boxes!
like echo unit said, it shouldn't be too long before lexicon and everyone else goes the plug route.

to answer the original question, i'd put a 480L on the must have list.
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Head

Sounds like you need a Roland RE-301, RE-501 or a SRE-555. Those boxes are all about character. You can get some tape saturation out of it, or a classic Roland chorus, a gritty reverb and a very controllable hands-on and satisfyling delay. If you want some definitely not ITB sounds I think its either one of these boxes or some choice guitar pedals...
On the cheap for character distortion I've had some success running stuff through the "Scream" thingy in Reason.
But really an old tape delay with chorus and reverb seems like just the ticket for you. The 555 is my favorite, cause its balanced and rackmountable (but some people {avant garde guitar players} don't like it because of the "short", i.e. less than 3 second, delay time). It can be subtle, but in my opinion its strongest suit is when its really present in the mix, like the way a dub producer would use it.
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Nut

Early Roland Space Echoes (301/501)....they really sound great
Lexicon Prime time (crunchy & organic delays)
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

AMS Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeceebee
Should be able to pick up an AMS reverb restored for well under 4k- contact David Kulka at studio electronics, he gets them through-
I have one I was thinking about selling. AMS RMX-16
It is the best reverb I ever used. 330-699-3615
Old 25th June 2006
Lexi - 480L & Pcm42
Roland R880
Kurzweil - Rumour

a great combination, it covers up all type of verbs i usualy need for my mixing
Old 25th June 2006
Gear maniac

vintage delays...

Roland RE-501- what a great box!

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 25th June 2006
Gear maniac

PCM70 is great..which you know..but it is a real standard for digi reverb. I dont even like the 90/91 compared to the 70 ...
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin4Life
PCM70 is great..which you know..but it is a real standard for digi reverb. I dont even like the 90/91 compared to the 70 ...
Oh yeah. I had the pleasure to hear a 70 and a 91 side by side.... no comparision. So, I've been shopping for a 70... but they are tough to come by in good shape. I already have a PCM60, which I really like (they don't get much simpler) and a 42. Not to get on a tangent, but some of the verbs I have been looking at include:

Vermona or Demeter Spring Reverbs
Any of the AKG BX series... whats the difference between them btw?
Yamaha Rev 7 (yes its digital)
Some older Sony's (more vintage digital)
Orban 111B
Lex 200 or 300
Quantec Yardstick
Master Room Reverb (just missed one on E-bay for 400 and change)
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
Klark Teknik DN780 can fit that. Digital, but doesn't sound like it. Excellent plates. "Alive" setting is definitely unique. And it has cool options for sampling with the "Infinite Rooms".

Both of those are so easy to use too, best interfaces I've seen in any FX processors.

Steve
I second these suggestions, and agree about the ease of use as well. Very refreshing to have a one control per function interface and not be scurrying down through menus to find things.

Another reverb unit along these lines is the Roland SRV-2000. It's not high end, but can be just the right sound at times.

As far as delays, the Roland SDE-3000 sounds great, and the Delta Labs Effectron II is also a nice one to have around.
Old 25th June 2006
Quote:
Any of the AKG BX series... whats the difference between them btw?
BX-5: 19" unit, don't know the sound.
BX-10: don't know at all.
BX-15: about the size of a portable TV set, has EQ, nice sound.
BX-20E: the big box! No EQ, very long springs, extremely warm, round sound.
BX-25: don't know at all.

I have only had the 15 and the 20E myself. Great units both of them, maybe the 15 could be the better choice (EQ, size).

If anyone wants my BX-20E with remote...
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

analog delay

I have a Yamaha E1010 analog delay that I'm not useing if anyone wants it. I already have an Ibanez analog delay that I use.

Make me an offer on the yamaha!

Thanks, Stace
Old 25th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug

Ditto!

The first time I used the 2016 it made my "want" list...loved the tones & the interface. I don't want 5000 presets & parameters on a 'verb...just a couple three good tones & basic controls.

If you're looking for "weird" look into old '80's boxes; Korg, Roland, even Electro Voice made rackmount digital 'verbs & some of them are TRULY bizzare...

I dig stuff like that but having one or two really good 'verbs around is a nessacity IMO. Too bad all the hardware units are either disappering or getting ludicriously expensive...there's not much left between the $300 toys and the $6K+ relm...I'd LOVE to see something like a single engine 480L stylee 'dial-a-verb' for $1500.
Old 25th June 2006
Any thoughts about the Dynacord DRP-20?
That's the highest end reverb I have.
Not weird or bizarre, but plain good, detailed and smooth reverb.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom
I like the DRP-20 a lot and agree that it's good and smooth.
I like the previously mentioned Dynacord DRS-78 as well, but it's the opposite of the DRP-20-- claustrophobic and the closest thing to a concrete bunker I've heard, and I mean that in a good way. It makes everything sound like instant Joy Division.
Another sleeper is the AKG ADR-68K. It a 2 rackspace engine with remote from the early 80's or so. I believe it was very high end at the time and it sounds fantastic. Google it and you'll find a bunch of very nice opinions.
I'll also put in votes for the Yamaha E1010 (my favorite of the racked analog delays, very dark and warm), all of the Roland tape delays (particularly the RE-301 with chorus and spring reverb) and, above all, the giant AKG BX-20 spring. The BX-20 is simply amazing, especially when I give it a little pre-delay from the E1010.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
great reverb. the only complaint is it's a little noisy, but it sounds wonderful.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

I never used or much liked reverb (on my guitar anyway) until I got a tube Echoplex. EP-2. It really has a warm. lush feel to it. Lots of fun.

Best of luck.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

None of this stuff is crazy expensive, and they are all pretty much one trick ponys, but they are great at what they do. You can get very creative effects out of this stuff, with way more character than most high-end digital racks..

Delays:
Echoplex EP-4
Echolette Klemt
Space Echo 201
DOD 680
Boss DM-2
Fulltone Tape Echo
SIB Echodrive

Reverb:
Echolette Klemt
Space Echo 201
Fender Reverb Tank
AKG BX 10/ 20
EMT 140 (never tried the tube, only the solid state version)
Demeter Reverb
Old 26th June 2006
Gear maniac

The fulltone tape echo is absolutely insane. I get weary when the effects route gets more expensive than the guitar, though.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

yeah tape echo are nice, but oh blaspemy, my UAD space echo sees more use than our 2 hardwares (re150 and re201) now...it sounds as good and so much more flexible.
bucket brigade delays are great too: boss, korg, EH etc..
reverb, love spring stuff...roland rv-800 is a truly great real stereo spring reverb.
the vermona are meant to be good as the reissued fender...
well and plate if you have the real estate...
Line 6 echo pro is great, don't care if it is close or not to the originals but there's some great and truly weird echos in there (most with parameters getting much further and weirder than the originals emulated): love that tube echo with the wow and flutter control...lovely.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
BX-5: 19" unit, don't know the sound.
BX-10: don't know at all.
I have both of these. They are my goto verbs.

the BX10 is a fairly lush reverb for it's size. depending on how hard you hit it. nice wide scope with a great sound. pretty rich. nice.

the BX-5 is a good utilitairian spring. it's more focused but not nearly as rich. i tend to use it for keys, lead guitars, and vocals.

both of these were had for a song. the eq is great and selectible pre-delay is great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search