The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Reverbs, Delays & Tape Echos Anyone?
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear
Master Room spring

Binson Echorec.......used brakefluid.
Old 3rd May 2010
My faves include the older low end Lexicons. I have LXP-1, LXP-15, MPX110, Alex, Reflex.

I particularly enjoy the depth and smoothness of the Reflex. It's top dog for drum ambience. Not bad for the $70 I paid for it.

All of them have reworked converters, etc. They hold up to the Bricasti M7.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
I recently purchased an EMT 140 with MartinSound upgrades. Best money I ever spent. Blows away all my digital reverbs, which include

PCM 70
Lex 200
Orville
SPX 900
PCM 96 (plugin)

Roland 555 is amazing, if you can find a good one.

Loft 450, anyone?

why must i cry
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Publison IM 90
Lexicon L480
Lexicon PCM 70
Lexicon LXP 1 ( yeah i know ..BUT i love it)
Ursa major 8x32 MkII
Sony R7
EMT 140
AMS RMX 16
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Funny enough I was just using my Loft 450 today on a mix!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Reverbs, Delays & Tape Echos Anyone?-delay-1.jpg  
Old 4th May 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
I recently purchased an EMT 140 with MartinSound upgrades. Best money I ever spent. Blows away all my digital reverbs, which include

PCM 70
Lex 200
Orville
SPX 900
PCM 96 (plugin)
Please post some samples of it some time. I can provide dry samples if you want .
Old 4th May 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

I gave away my RE-501 a couple of years ago. It was pretty cool but pretty noisey and had this weird intermittent breakup (that wasn't tape related) so I just gave it to a friend I knew would use it more.

I'd take the UAD-201 over it any day now.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

AKG bx25 is great

and so is re501

uad re201 also gets a lot of use in my recent projects, very nice but different to real 501
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone used an oil can delay?
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

I use the Boss DM-100 delay over here, and am very happy with it. You can get pretty wild stuff out of it, with a rich sound. Also has a fat chorus (you choose, delay or chorus).
Old 31st May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
I really would like to get some cool boutique type reverbs
What do you exactly mean with "cool"?
something that recalls a cold object or climate (like a traditional siberian instrument)?
I'm afraid such instruments do not produce reverb, but only sound from the start.
I guess you look for a reverb processor that produces the typical reverberation of snow and ice.

But, what does a boutique reverb sound like? Can you describe such reverb more precisely, please?

Quote:
I want a more organic type of sound
What do you mean with organic type? A machine made of organic material, like a wooden case?

I guess you do not merely want a machine that emulates phisical reverb, because all reverb machines do that. All reverb machines try to emulate a natural reverb. You want as much control as possible?

Or are you simply looking for a dirty sound? (Usually people using the word "organic" want a sound similar to those provided by saturated valves, but they rather call it hot, not cool)
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

The SRE-555 is just fantastic!!!!!

I had to bump this thread....

I plan on trying the Demeter Real-Verb spring.... and love the Fulltone.

People seem to mention the PCM42 much more than the 41, anyone know why??????

I really think someone needs to make a rackmounted tube/tape echo, even if it has to be 3U......
Old 21st July 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
People seem to mention the PCM42 much more than the 41, anyone know why??????
First of all, it's more common. Also, PCM 42 has an optical limiter that was added after realizing most guitarists think 11 is the only proper volume level and thus weren't satisfied by the excessive distortion they were getting with the 41. It can be used to significantly affect the delay envelope, and for other tricks. Regardless of the limiter difference, PCM 41 doesn't sound just like the 42 (even when the 42's limiter isn't triggered), it has a darker, different overall sound.
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Get a KSP8, you get so many great sounds routing , flexibility, and 8 seperate mono or 4 stereo or any combination there of effects engines with their own I/O. It's like owning 8 seperate boxes in 1
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Head

Apart from my re-501, im a big fan of the dynacord stuff, have a VRS-23, DRP 20 and TAM 21 (ok not really a delay), has anyone ever heard of their early digital delay pdd 14?
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Great Topic

Here are my fav..mostly "vintage" in daily use..
I can highly recommend just about any of them, just be ready for servicing issues...

Lexicon PCM41
Lexicon 200
Lexicon M300
Ursa Major Space Station
Eventide H3000
Yamaha REV-1
AKG BX 20
Bricasti M7 >> not vintage, but..thumbsup

I also have a Marshall Time Modulator in storage, lost power supply in moving .
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix View Post
I also have a Marshall Time Modulator in storage, lost power supply in moving .
FWIW, I recently got a new power supply for my MTM sent over from David Kulka's crew in CA (Studio Electronics). You might want to do that also.
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear
I got an el cheapo Yamaha R100 for a hundred bucks from a pawn broker.

Love thy graininess!! heh
Old 22nd July 2010
Hah! That was one of my first reverbs, the small room on it actually sounds really good as do some of the ping pong delays. It also did that SPX90 "trick" where if you put it in bypass you get a punchy comb filter except even more extreme than the spx. Not a smooth box at all, lol. The main gripe I always had with it is the preset #'s are described on top of the unit, useless when racked. Good bang for the buck and actually programmable compared to the others of it's time. A good choice if you want to recreate the bedroom 4-track experience of the 80's, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
I got an el cheapo Yamaha R100 for a hundred bucks from a pawn broker.

Love thy graininess!! heh
Old 22nd July 2010
Here for the gear

A great delay if you can find one is a Guild CopyCat. Made by WEM. Sounds great if kind of gritty.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

If you want some interesting reverb, with character, DON'T get another digital unit. You need to look into spring reverbs, tape delays, and a live chamber like a tiled bathroom. Reverb plates are also cool but they are so big and hard to deal with, they are not really practical. Spring units tend to be one trick ponies but when they work, they can be really cool. In addition to the spring units listed, I have had good luck with my Tascam RS-20B, which is a 2 channel unit with a built in limiter which actually works well. Its great on electric guitars and vintage keyboards. Horrible on other things like vocals. ALL of the Roland Space Echo models are fantastic tape echo/delay boxes with a nice warm sound and they are more reliable than a lot of the vintage tape units. I wish I never sold mine!

Finally, and something no one has mentioned, is a live chamber like a tiled bathroom. Sure you have to set up a speaker and a mic, but you can get some amazing and unique sounds that way which just OOZE character.
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

I plan on trying the Demeter Real-Verb spring...
They are really amazing. Worth the $.

Mike
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Maniac

I like to use my bathroom...heh
Old 2nd August 2010
FFS
Gear Addict
I got hold of a mint condition original Midiverb (the funny looking half rack one) and it sounds incredible if you want that moody Portishead/massive attack dark roomy reverb! ;-)
G
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Vintage Reverbs, Delays & Tape Echos Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
I like to use my bathroom...heh
That's all very well, if you have a vintage bathroom! ... heh
Old 4th August 2010
delays:

- korg sdd 3000
- lexicon pcm 42
- lexicon prime time (93)
- roland sde 3000
- ibanez dm 2000
- yamaha spx 90

reverbs

- eventide h3000
- lexicon mpx1 (very under rated imho)
- yamaha spx 90 (80s verb)
- alesis midiverb4 (low end character)
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I recently purchased an EMT 140 with MartinSound upgrades. Best money I ever spent. Blows away all my digital reverbs

ha.yes I know you're exact 140 real well.I remember when my buddy bought it and did the Martinsound upgrades.
lot's of love went into that 140.
then sold it to Lord radio
sad to see it go and I didn't have the space for it at the time .
as far as hardware verbs go,I spend a day putting it[140] up against the Bricasti M7.
yes they are different but we both bought M7's on the spot.
the actual "plate " presets held up really well.
while the M7 doesn't have some of the cool random artifacts of a real plate it did actually sound overall bigger /wider than the 140.
Amazing reverb especially for natural room ambiences.
the V2 upgrade makes it even better and adds some of the lex inspired classic whooshy type sounds[imo a bigger better less cloudy version of it].
that said,nothing can replace a dialed 140.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

just got my SRE-555 today.
i was used to fiddling with a KORG stage echo SE-300, but sold the unit to have enough money for the SRE-555.
i must admit that i already regret the sale.
the SRE is an incredible tool and produces amazing effects. the delay itself is much more on time than with the KORG. this is very usefull when creating very long delay lines.
one thing i've noticed was that it's not as easy to get the delay to feedback like a motherfugga.
i've had a RE-201 from a friend for some time and this was just the best "EFFECT" tape echo i've heard yet.
the sound of that OG echo is just so noisy and "tapish".
but,
i'm still glad i have the SRE-555 now.
the reverb is great and the chorus is a nice +.
Old 5th August 2010
Might need servicing. Sometimes when they get out of service, the feedback isn't as strong. Have a good tech go through it.
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

hm,...
i bought it from some guy who just had it serviced one month ago.
it was shipped with the bill of that service.
everything on this unit sounds really fine and accurate, it's just that this isn't an RE-201.
those can pull up a feedback-wall in less than 2 seconds.
+ they're more noisy... and that's where the point is, i guess.
but thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search