The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Reverbs, Delays & Tape Echos Anyone?
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Look up the Sony DPS-R7. Great box that let's you get stupid deep in editing the parameters of the different verbs.
Old 27th June 2006
Quote:
I like the previously mentioned Dynacord DRS-78 as well, but it's the opposite of the DRP-20
Exactly, that's why I have them both, plus the VRS-23, which is my favorite bucket brigade delay. Especially when you experiment with the different ins and outs on the front and on the back.

And I have a small 9V-battery-powered "Solid State Reverberation Amplifier" which turns every signal you feed it into "SPROING!".
I've always wanted to confess something like that in High End...
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo!

We love ours

By the way, my buddies at Rock'nRoll Vintage (on Lincoln in Lincoln Square) have one in stock.

Old 4th January 2007
Here for the gear

Ibanez AD202 - great unit for delay and doubling
Dynacord DRS78 - I like this verb on guitars and synths, "dark-ish"
Dynacord VRS23 - very fresh sounding reverb
Dynacord Echocord - warm warm delays lays ay-ays ay-ays s
Klemt Echolette NG51 "S" - more warm warm delays lays ay-ays ay-ays s
Roland Space Echo 201 - nice delay plus spring reverb
your hallway + speaker + two mics

Greetz,
Dominique
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear
just a little, not too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
-snip-
And I have a small 9V-battery-powered "Solid State Reverberation Amplifier" which turns every signal you feed it into "SPROING!".
-snip-
The "high end" trick with the Realistic bucket brigade reverb devices is to know how much and how often. They make a dense and short decay with a unique character.

kk.
Old 4th January 2007
Gear Head

i dig the electroharmonix stereo memory man for slap back, noises, and the chorus is pretty cool, too.
Old 5th January 2007
theother
Quote:
Any thoughts about the Dynacord DRP-20?
That's the highest end reverb I have.
Not weird or bizarre, but plain good, detailed and smooth reverb.
Superb reverb! Totally under-rated and not well known.

Try to get the black DRP-20X which has XLR's and a lot less noise.

The white DRP-20 can be very noisy.
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Superb reverb! Totally under-rated and not well known.

Try to get the DRP-20X which has XLR's and a lot less noise.

The white DRP-20 can be very noisy.
i have a white one. noisy but sounds so nice.
Old 5th January 2007
Get a KSP8, you get so many great sounds routing , flexibility, and 8 seperate mono or 4 stereo or any combination there of effects engines with their own I/O. It's like owning 8 seperate boxes in 1
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Maniac

My fave vintage reverbs, of which i have the pleasure of using at work
EMT 140
EMT 240 ST
EMT 251 (the R2D2 robot looking thing)
AMS RMS 16
AKG BX 20
Lexicon PCM 70
Lexicon 200 Digital Reverberator

-Scotty
Old 5th January 2007
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty-o View Post
EMT 140
EMT 240 ST
AMS RMS 16
AKG BX 20
Lexicon PCM 70

-Scotty
I hate you!heh
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a few examples:

AKG BX-20E (fridge-sized spring reverb: impressive, warm-sounding)
Ursa Major Space Station (1977 digital reverb/echo: some weird effects; reverb blends nicely with synths)
Dynacord DRS-78 (1978 digital reverb: try it!)
Dynacord VRS-23 (analog delay: one spooky reverb setting!)
I'd agree here (the VRS23 is fab, DRS78 not my thing, but cool and ursa a must)!
I have a BX25 which I prefer to the 20 however and it's a lot smaller (although the spring length is greater!)

Digital EMT reverbs are great (even the "cheaper" 244/245's)
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty-o View Post
EMT 140
EMT 240 ST
AMS RMS 16
AKG BX 20
Lexicon PCM 70

-Scotty
You have taste sir!
I use the EMT 140, 246 & 251 and an AKG BX25. Lovely stuff....
Old 24th March 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just a few examples:
Ursa Major Space Station (1977 digital reverb/echo: some weird effects; reverb blends nicely with synths)
Has anyone tried the reissue? Does it compare to the original?

What about TC 2290? I worked with one a very long time ago and loved it, but hasn't been mentioned here so I'd like to know if anyone has tried it and found it uninteresting, or just forgot to mention it.

I'm also curious about oberheim/gibson echoplex.

Any of these good?

Thanks.

DP
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

Many years ago I lucked into a mint Klemt Echolette on canal street in NYC and have loved them ever since. I've got two and a third for parts. Also have a Stocktronics plate reverb which I think is fab.
Old 24th March 2007
High Fidelity
Roland R-880 with user full algorithm structure complete editing and yet easy to use graphic remote.

Other interesting units which can feature darker sounding presets if this what you are looking for:

Roland SRV-330
Sony MU-R201
Korg A2 (stereo version) with SPC cards

Sure, EMT 140 plate and AKG BX20E well refurbished are in a different sounding game with a home made tape loop delay on a 2 track 1/4" tape machine...
Old 24th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc View Post
Yamaha E1010 analog delay is a great box to have around.
Guaranteed you'll find a use for it here n there.

+1 for that. I can't seem to part with mine.. :-) Also I can't seem to get rid of my Korg DRV3000 with the remote control....or the Roland SRV-2000.....or the PCM60.....or my matched pair or Yamaha D1500 delays....or all the other stuff in my racks. lol
Old 25th March 2007
Here for the gear

Good call on the EMT 140.

A beautfiul reverb.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Nut

This thread sure was dead, but it is also dead-on relevant to my following question.

A well-known session guitarist recently told me about a French reverb unit that he uses that he thinks sounds amazing. He pronounced it like "pooh-bleh-sin". I've tried googling possible spelling variations on like "publecin", etc., but I have had no luck finding any info on it, I still don't know what the correct spelling is. I no longer have the guitarist's phone contact info.

Can someone tell me the correct pronunciation?
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Simply amazing

Simply amazing...
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Manger View Post
This thread sure was dead, but it is also dead-on relevant to my following question.

A well-known session guitarist recently told me about a French reverb unit that he uses that he thinks sounds amazing. He pronounced it like "pooh-bleh-sin". I've tried googling possible spelling variations on like "publecin", etc., but I have had no luck finding any info on it, I still don't know what the correct spelling is. I no longer have the guitarist's phone contact info.

Can someone tell me the correct pronunciation?
It's think it's spelled Publison. Early 80s, cool blue readout, hard to document, harder to find parts for! Cool sounding if you wanna throw away some cash.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

It was called: The Publison Infernal Machine

Good name, eh?
Old 28th April 2010
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Nut

Spring!

Some older spring reverbs can be found for cheap and are really cool,
over at Studio G we just put an AKG Bx5, which i really liked, it has an eq witch really helps it out. It sounds nice and solid especially in the shortest time constant, not sproingy at all. the sound workshops we have is pretty sproingy but it works awesome for "chararcter" reverb, so if you don't hit it too hard it can be a very cool one. the peavey valverb is amazing, but you have to gain it up when coming back into your console, it drives super nice and has a built in tremolo.

see if you can check them out and see what you like about each of them. there are some amazing ones posted already, but seriously i dont think you need 4 stereo emt's, although its a slutty pleasure heh.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

As far as reverbs here we go:
Ursa Major (The Original)
EMT 250/251
Sony DRE S-777
Lexicon Model 200
Dynatron 255
Lexicon 480L
AMS RMX 16
And of course the BRICASTI
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

EMT plates are wonderfull when in good shape
akg springs also
eventide sp2016 is one of the better early digital verbs that don't wear an ams or lexicon badge

For old tape delay's you should look at roland (re201, 501) and there is also a good HK one (model i don't know) wich is very rare over here.
fulltone tube tape echo's are also good and in production (rather new design), but build for guitar (so you need to use it in combo with a reamp module and di to do it right)

the lexicon pcm42 is a classic early digital delay
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I've been wanting a fulltone tape echo for a while...can't wait to get one of those...thumbsup
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

sprrooiinngg!

Fisher K10 Spacexpander...........a quite obscure (but not impossible to find!) tube driven spring reverb.........this was the spring reverb found in old hammond organs (hence: a good reason to buy a crappy old, non desirable hammond and rip it out!) ...........this was the "king tubby reverb"........
Sounds great, a one trick pony, but it's a great trick.........still a bit of a sleeper............
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Reverbs, Delays & Tape Echos Anyone?-king-tubby-reverb.jpg  
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
My outboard gear rack is definitely short when it comes to reverbs and delays, something I am planning on changing over the course of the next couple of months. Other than a PCM 70 and an Eventide H3000 DS/E, I really would like to get some cool boutique type reverbs... mostly because I want a more organic type of sound and really don't like most of the digital verbs I have heard (notice I said PCM 70 and not 81 or 91). With that said, what have you got that has mojo? What have you got that is vintage and cool? One trick pony's are fine with me.... so show me the weird!
Digital all have the same limitations, I'd look into other options as well.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Maniac

I recently purchased an EMT 140 with MartinSound upgrades. Best money I ever spent. Blows away all my digital reverbs, which include

PCM 70
Lex 200
Orville
SPX 900
PCM 96 (plugin)

Roland 555 is amazing, if you can find a good one.

Loft 450, anyone?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search