The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What API gear to buy first? API 3124/a2d, API Channel strip,API 2500 or API 5500? 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Dang...now I think the channel strip could be the ticket. I've only used the waves stuff and really like the 550b, so I thought lunchbox strip was the way to go. I used my A2D on bass and vocals yesterday and it kind of reassured me that API is the sound I want. Which made me think, along wth that last post, how can the channel strip be wrong?. I just like that extra band.

Is the 550a as good as 550b on drums?

And why do so many people say they dislike API on vocals on gearslutz threads? I had great results. Both myself and the performer preferred the API vocals over the heritage audio jr73, which is also a great pre.
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Maniac

550/550a vintage 2x
Old 31st May 2016
Don't forget the 200 series. I found a full L200 rack locally (2 rack spaces), with 8 212L pres and 4 225L compressors, plus the power supply. Love 'em, I'm no pro but its my main gear. The pres don't have phase switches, but other than that its great stuff and you'll possibly find them cheaper than a 500 series or the rack units (3124?). I know that UAD has modeled both of these units recently, though I've not compared them, my Quad no longer works. Although, they have a LOT of gain, and I use those Shure things to lower the input (I forget what they're called!) and *still* have the gain knobs almost fully down sometimes (the onboard -20 buttons are not quite the same).
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
I'd buy a 500 rack and CAPI VP28s a pre that's got to stages of that Classic API console sounding.
Yeppers!
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
New question, does the channel strip offer anything an API 500 series channel strip couldn't? What I mean is...
Vp28/A2D-->550B-->527....VS...API channels strip
What'd be the difference? Or none?

Thanks
Although, there is a dedicated line input (balanced) on the channel strip, (absent on the 512) it lacks preamplification. It's just a line level input. Easy work around is to use the DI (unbalanced) on the front panel. The other major difference is the channel strip's sidechain input, to access the 527 compressor section. You do not get an external sidechain option on the 527 500 series.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear
5500 IMO. Great on busses, and for tracking.
For API pres....... Go CAPI.

Have fun!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search