The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Event Opal vs Unity The Rock vs Pelonis 4288
Old 16th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Just got my demo pair of Rocks today and so far I am very impressed. Seems like they show me everything I couldn't hear on my dynaudios that I've had for 8 years. Much more resolute and tighter bass. I feel like i can hear again and it's much easier to pinpoint frequencies. Great compliment to my pelonis.
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrange View Post
Just got my demo pair of Rocks today and so far I am very impressed. Seems like they show me everything I couldn't hear on my dynaudios that I've had for 8 years. Much more resolute and tighter bass. I feel like i can hear again and it's much easier to pinpoint frequencies. Great compliment to my pelonis.
Fantastic to hear, thank you for choosing The Rock Mk II's and for sharing your comments too!
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahan40 View Post
Got my Rock MKII last Friday and they are phenomenal monitors. First rough mix I did has translated great everywhere.

Definitely try to check them out, you probably won't send them back if you do
Thank you Sir, excellent to hear and cheers for sharing your findings on GS!
Old 28th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
This is from my post in another thread:

"I just wanted to write a bit of an update. I got my Rock Mk 2's a couple of weeks ago. The service from Upper Westside Sound was incredible! Ian Smith actually brought me a demo pair, all the way from Montreal, and let me do as much testing as I wanted. I liked them, so I ordered a pair. Two days later, he brought me a brand new pair, all the way from Montreal again. Wow, I can't overemphasize the high quality of service from Upper Westside, and what a pleasure it was to deal with Ian.

As for the monitors themselves, the difference compared to my previous main monitors is dramatic. My previous monitors, which I will probably sell, are Tannoy System 800's with a rack-mount Hafler TransNova amp. The Rock's simply sound more alive, more present, there is more bass. The stereo imaging is amazing to me.

The surprising thing to me was that even in my small untreated room, which I do plan to treat, the Rocks's bass extension presents no problems. Playing one of my bass guitars through it, I could hear the fundamental tone of the low E at an apparent volume which matched any higher tones from my guitars. I realize that's only around 40 Hz, so I ran some test tones down to about 30 Hz, and the apparent volume declined rapidly.

I'm going to use REW and a calibrated SPL meter to help determine what treatment I need to get the most out of the Rocks. Unfortunately, I haven't had much chance to play with them or try much mixing, because of preparations for the new school semester that just started. As I get more time, I'll report back with any additional findings.

Thank you to Unity Audio, Upper Westside Sound, and Ian Smith!"
Hello Les,

December 28, 2017

I'm on the market to buy a pair of RockMkIIs. I heard them briefly 2 years ago as part of a promotional demo but was in too large a room where I don't think they were properly represented. But I do remember liking the overall flavour and accuracy. I live just an hour east of Toronto. Might there be a possibility to come by your studio to audition them? I'd be happy to pay you for an hour of you time if need be.

thanks, Carlos
905-885-8076
Old 28th December 2017
Here for the gear

ps, I am presently demoing (renting from Studio Economik in Montreal) a pair of PMC two.two6s comparing them to my old Dynaudio BM12a. Would love to be able to do a side by side test against the Rocks. I have a feeling I's prefer the Rocks.
Carlos
Old 29th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardcarl View Post
Hello Les,

December 28, 2017

I'm on the market to buy a pair of RockMkIIs. I heard them briefly 2 years ago as part of a promotional demo but was in too large a room where I don't think they were properly represented. But I do remember liking the overall flavour and accuracy. I live just an hour east of Toronto. Might there be a possibility to come by your studio to audition them? I'd be happy to pay you for an hour of you time if need be.

thanks, Carlos
905-885-8076
Hi Carlos, I would love to hear that comparison as well! My little home studio is currently in a shambles. I've sold off most of my gear, I've decided to simplify and go all ITB since this is "just" a hobby. It will take me a while to set up everything the way I want it.

To be able to do this comparison in the near future, we would need to do it at your place. I'll PM you and see if we can figure something out.
Old 29th December 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Les, thanks for the speedy reply. The only issue is that I have to return the PMC two.two6s by January 3, so you would have to make the trip out here in the next few days...do you have time to do that? I certainly don't mind coming into the city with these monitors...assuming you have a relatively decent placement for the monitors in the room where you work?, i.e., not right next to a wall, or not sitting on a table top. I have small home built speaker stands I use on my work table, and because of the tweeter height difference between my older Dynaudio BM12a's I have been using for the last 8 years or so, I'm just using some makeshift books to lower the height of the PMC6 speaker tweeters since the profile is taller than my older BM12as. But I do have a reasonably spacious 13x15 room with 13 foot cathedral ceiling and some minor acoustical treatments with panels and rugs on the wall. You could call if you like at 905-885-8076, or email me directly for fast response at [email protected]

ps, I am assuming you are holding on to your Rocks if this is only a hobby or might you be interested in selling...?
cheers, Carlos
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search