The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADL 1000 modded users!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

ADL 1000 modded users!!

Anyone had their ADL 1000 modded for attack and/or release time? How do you like it?
Old 19th June 2006
How is that done? I've rebuilt dozens of these and the attack/decay is set by the luminessence panel. I've ordered special TB-4's from Urei that were made with a 2 second release time vs the standard 4 seconds release.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th June 2006
cleaning up the audio path would be a better idea
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
How is that done? I've rebuilt dozens of these and the attack/decay is set by the luminessence panel. I've ordered special TB-4's from Urei that were made with a 2 second release time vs the standard 4 seconds release.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Technically Jim, I don't know. I've seen one that had a toggle switch on the front to engage Fast/Slow. I was told it was a factory mod. I emailed Anthony and he said they do not offer this mod. Not sure if it was something they discontinued doing or if my source was confused at who actually performed the mod. However, I think it would make my ADL 1000 a lot more versatile. I love the color that it imparts on anything you run through it. heh
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Boy, I'd love to have a faster atttack time available. I lpve how these sound on some vocals except that they're sibilant as hell.

Hey Jim, could that alternate release setting be switchable?
Old 19th June 2006
ALERT!!!

Useless troll comment coming!

ELOP

D
Old 20th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer
Boy, I'd love to have a faster atttack time available. I lpve how these sound on some vocals except that they're sibilant as hell.

I guess you can make it slower, the TB-4 panel sets the speed of the release time and it's 4 seconds. Urei does offer a 2 second release version of the TB-4 by special order. This is the major reason I don't use this design. Not adjustable. The older 175 and 176 comps did offer greater control.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 20th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer

Summitt TLA 100's have this, I'm willing to bet that harshness and sibilance have more to do with whats going with the audio than with what the detector is doing. Do an a/b mult of just your audio and the ADL with the threshold all the way down. The ADL definetly thins things out,. which if you know that you can use, but could also probably is part of why these things are not as highly regarded.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
Summitt TLA 100's have this, I'm willing to bet that harshness and sibilance have more to do with whats going with the audio than with what the detector is doing. Do an a/b mult of just your audio and the ADL with the threshold all the way down. The ADL definetly thins things out,. which if you know that you can use, but could also probably is part of why these things are not as highly regarded.
No, it's not a question of the tone, which I like, it's a dynamic thing- It's letting a lot of sibilance through before clamping down on the vowels. I guess it's probably more a matter of the detector being less responsive to highs, rather than an attack time issue.

Jim, I was wondering if one could have a switch to go between the two versions of the tb-4.

Or I wonder if a mod could be done to insert a filter or eq in front of the detector- I don't beleive they have a side chain input or I'd just do it that way.
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

this is my experience with the adl 100 as well. I love the tone, but it increases sibilance like hell. The high-freq edge of things sneaks thru before the compression grabs the signal and gets really exagerated and ess-y.

Anyone have any experience with swapping out the tubes?
Old 21st June 2006
Yes. The stock Chi-com tubes sound nasty. Throw in some Tele's, Mullards, or even an ElectroHarmonix and it improves. The Japanese coupling caps I replace with MIT MultiCaps. The transformers are the real problem in this box. They sound nasal. I replace them with the Jensens and it's all good. They are expensive.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 21st June 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Yes. The stock Chi-com tubes sound nasty. Throw in some Tele's, Mullards, or even an ElectroHarmonix and it improves. The Japanese coupling caps I replace with MIT MultiCaps. The transformers are the real problem in this box. They sound nasal. I replace them with the Jensens and it's all good. They are expensive.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
if i remember correctly, i think Anthony chose the trany specifically for it's sound.
not that that is good or bad as i have not heard one i can not really comment.
i just remember talking tranys with him once upon a time.
Old 21st June 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the input, Jim. That brings up another thing i've always wondered about.....

When you swap tubes in audio gear for tone(i'm not talking gtr amps here), are you just swapping out the 12ax7 -type tubes, or should you swap the other types as well? And does the unit need to be rebiased if you change the tubes?

Thanks
Old 22nd June 2006
Quote:

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
thank you, my complaint with these boxes was what happens to audio just plugging into it. I like the way the detector behaves for most things, Jim could you give me an idea what it would cost for that upgrade, pm me if you'd like. i have two of them.
Old 22nd June 2006
I had done several of these when they came out years ago. I was always dissapointed in the results compared to a cleaned up LA-2. I then replaced the transformers on one with Jensen JT-11P line input transformers and the excellent
JT-10K61-1M for the output, a transformer specifically designed for this and the LA-2 output stage. These are not cheap transformers. They did solve the nasal problems and these ADL's now beat LA-2's for clarity and smoothness.
One customer took his returned ADL trannies and mounted them in a box with XLR I/O's for a patchable dirt box.

I believe the original transformers were not selected for sonics, but rather for price.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 6th March 2019
Here for the gear

Jim Williams is absolutely correct about the transformers. I fought sibilance and thin tone until I replaced the transformer on my ADL-1000. Mr. Williams will likely cringe because I put vintage UTC transformers in mine that match the old LA-2A schematic. The sibilance is gone with much better tone. Not as clear as Jensen transformers but true to the OG. The ADL stock transformers are the weakest link for sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search