The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
100K to spend ... what should i get?
Old 23rd July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
More useful than a High School degree. More useful than wasting $100k on audio gear. More doors open for you than if you walk in with a High School diploma or $100k worth of recording gear, no one cares about that.

In ten years that $100k of gear will be probably gone or obsolete. The degree lasts a lifetime. No guarentees, but more options are available, you still need to make things happen yourself.
Another quotable paragraph. Well said Jim.
Gear Head

are we back to the..."something to fall back on" philosophy?

Can we just end that already?

You will achieve no success in any industry if you are hedging your bets.

Get up on that ledge, strip down to nothing and push off...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RighteousBasturd View Post
are we back to the..."something to fall back on" philosophy?

Can we just end that already?

You will achieve no success in any industry if you are hedging your bets.

Get up on that ledge, strip down to nothing and push off...
But don't jump without a net!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VastArray View Post
I literally hear it all the time...
"I graduated but I'm still working at the wallmart. I'm going back for a masters degree."

Next phase?

"I got my masters degree but I'm still working at Wallmart. I'm going back for a doctorate."

Next phase?

"The government won't lend me any more money to pursue alternative degrees and they want me to pay back the $250k they already lent me. I'd ask for a raise at Walmart but they fired me and hired a 22 year old recent college grad."
Poor, poor grads...

Meanwhile, my nephew is leaving this week for Mass. He was accepted into Harvard's doctorate program. They are providing housing and a stipend to support his wife and family. He was working but wants more like to be the leader in his field. Anyone with a brain and desire can do that too. It does take hard work, maybe a bit more than some of you are willing to do.

If you are looking around and need a helping hand, God gave you a pair on the ends of your arms, if you choose to use them.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RighteousBasturd View Post
hookers and blow.
I'd only spend $80k on that - I'd just waste the rest
Old 24th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gregory View Post
I had the same assignment when I went to Fullsail lol
I have GIVEN the same assignment to my audio students!

Of course, I forbid MY students from posting on GS or other forums, and if I caught them starting one of these crap threads, pretending they were real people with real money, clogging up the forums with their troll-bait, I would flunk them.

Everybody likes to spend imaginary money. Admit it's imaginary and let's have some fun. People with real money to spend never seem to require this imaginary advice, however. Besides students on assignment, there is another category of person who likes to start these threads, insisting they have some improbably round number of dollars and I would go so far as to say there is something "wrong" about those people.

It goes beyond trolling. Last time, we had a guy who was caught red-handed confusing his sock-puppet with his "OP" identity. He was arguing against himself with 2 fake identities in a fake thread about a fake situation.

Never once in the history of Gearslutz has someone gotten back to us with photos of his "new $100,000 studio", much less scans of his bank statement or a link to his grandmother's obituary.

I say all these threads are guilty until proven innocent. I am glad to spend hours on GS offering my advice to people who ask for advice, but I hate being taken for a sucker.

Even though my rant is the same amount of typing, I will refuse to offer my advice on "how to spend" the money in any such thread, unless somebody either demonstrates that the money actually exists, or they admit it is a theoretical exercise/school assignment.
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear
+ 1 on Vegas (lol)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Never once in the history of Gearslutz has someone gotten back to us with photos of his "new $100,000 studio", much less scans of his bank statement or a link to his grandmother's obituary.
So TRUE!!!
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I have GIVEN the same assignment to my audio students!

Of course, I forbid MY students from posting on GS or other forums, and if I caught them starting one of these crap threads, pretending they were real people with real money, clogging up the forums with their troll-bait, I would flunk them.

Everybody likes to spend imaginary money. Admit it's imaginary and let's have some fun. People with real money to spend never seem to require this imaginary advice, however. Besides students on assignment, there is another category of person who likes to start these threads, insisting they have some improbably round number of dollars and I would go so far as to say there is something "wrong" about those people.

It goes beyond trolling. Last time, we had a guy who was caught red-handed confusing his sock-puppet with his "OP" identity. He was arguing against himself with 2 fake identities in a fake thread about a fake situation.

I say all these threads are guilty until proven innocent. I am glad to spend hours on GS offering my advice to people who ask for advice, but I hate being taken for a sucker.

Even though my rant is the same amount of typing, I will refuse to offer my advice on "how to spend" the money in any such thread, unless somebody either demonstrates that the money actually exists, or they admit it is a theoretical exercise/school assignment.
The fact that audio engineering schools routinely give this assignment in the first place makes me completely dubious as to the legitimacy of these schools. Are we in 5th grade here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
I'd only spend $80k on that - I'd just waste the rest
made me laugh heh

matt
📝 Reply