The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alan Smart C2 on ST bus in Crush Mode Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Head

I've mixed with Crush mode on before and got great results. For me this is the only way to use it on the stereo buss (turned on from the start). Most of the time I leave it off and find that if engaged, it's seductive at first, but ultimately tiring.

I love using Crushed mode with Drum overheads and a Pair of KSM32's.

B
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

This is how crush mode modifies equalization... might be useful
Attached Thumbnails
Alan Smart C2 on ST bus in Crush Mode-crush.jpg  
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure a C2 is my next purchase.

So, how many of you guys end up using it on individual tracks as well as the mixbus?
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

C1!

Don't overlook the C1, which doesn't have the "Crush" mode. Being one of those people who thinks the "Crush" thing is silly sounding, I don't miss it.

Plus the C1 is black and cooler looking...

...and slightly cheaper.

--- Chad
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

Tracking it's great on kik and sn.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Maniac

re: C2 for tracking

Max:
Also good on Bass, besides Kick as mentionned earlier.
And also on Piano too, if you want to tighten the track, listen to the piano track on Beautiful by Christina Aguilera, as an example.
But the most amazing thing is on the Stero Buss. Had a chance to try out both the SSL G Comp XLogic and the C2, (thanks to Shaun at GC Pro in SFO)and definitely liked the C2 better, more character than SSL.
Sincerely,
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

As far as using the C1 or C2 in tracking, or even the SSL 384, I found it useful for kick-in/kick-out, or snare-top/snare-bottom, stereo room, stereo piano. Of course the C2 has individual dual mono controls. But when I had a 384, which has just one set of knobs, I used to use it as above, when the two input signals could have the same comp settings. heh
Old 26th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya
Don't overlook the C1, which doesn't have the "Crush" mode. Being one of those people who thinks the "Crush" thing is silly sounding, I don't miss it.

Plus the C1 is black and cooler looking...

...and slightly cheaper.
And I think it sounds hipper too!

There's a bit more 'grunge' in the C1 & IMO it's a bit closer to what the original SSL 384 sounds like. The tone of the C2 is a bit more "hi-fi" then either of those two boxes...
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
And I think it sounds hipper too!

There's a bit more 'grunge' in the C1 & IMO it's a bit closer to what the original SSL 384 sounds like. The tone of the C2 is a bit more "hi-fi" then either of those two boxes...
Very true. The C2 is a tad more refined than the old G384. I like them both, but the C2 is definitely cleaner. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search