The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell M300 as drum Overheads
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Gefell M300 as drum Overheads

I'm currently using SM81s for demos on the OH, going into a Mindprint DTC.

In the studio, we frequently use C414 ULS, into a Pacifica pre, way softer...

I'd have liked to find out some KM84 but they are very difficult to get these days. The Gefell M300 look like they are a very good alternative.

I want a clear cymbal sound, shiny but not hyped, smooth & precise top end. SM81 are a little too harsh to me.

Where can I hear the M300 as overheads ? Audio extracts ?
Where can I buy a good used pair ? Or a brand new pair at a good price ?

Thanks !
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Addict

I just bought my second on this forum for just that purpose. I probably won't be able to try it on overheads for a couple weeks though. I'll let you know when I do.

Right now, I'm using Soundelux U195s, and I'm perfectly happy with them. But like you, I've heard a lot about the M300s, comparing them to the Neuman KM84s. I have a KM84 as well, and don't think they sound alike, despite some posts. I like them both, but the M300 seems a bit brighter and a bit ballsier. Which, I imagine, is going to make it fine for overheads. The KM84 seems a little warmer and sweeter, wonderful on acoustic guitar, and I've also used it as a bottom snare mike together with a Josephson e22s.

So, short story long, haha... I'll have more info for you in a couple weeks.

best

P
Old 15th June 2006
I use M300 on OH.
Love them!

I have never used an 84, but have a 184,81s, and many LD mics as OHs.

The M300 are still my first choice.

Good luck!

D
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

you will be VERY happy with them.

PM sent about pricing(I deal directly with them)
Old 16th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

They don't sound like KM84's, who is saying this? The M300 is a more natural sounding mic.

War
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

I've heard them compared all the time on this forum. Not saying that they're exactly the same, but that they're similar.

Here's one thread where they're compared...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ight=KM84+M300

another...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ight=KM84+M300
Old 18th June 2006
eso
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums

I'd have liked to find out some KM84 but they are very difficult to get these days. The Gefell M300 look like they are a very good alternative.

I want a clear cymbal sound, shiny but not hyped, smooth & precise top end. SM81 are a little too harsh to me.

Thanks !
I have tried out quite a few overhead mics over the years. I have used the Neumann KM84's, KM184's, TLM103's, Calrec 1050's, AKG C414EB's, AKG C451's, Earthworks TC25K's, etc, etc. I settled on the Gefell M300's after borrowing them from a friend for a weekend. They give a lot of detail without being too bright. At least they work well for me anyway

Great on acoustic guitar too, and the XY/ORTF bar included with the matched pair is very useful.

I waited a while to try and get a used pair but I didn't find any for months, so I just bought them new and sold the Neumann KM184's and Calrec 1050's.

I don't regret it either. Great mics.
Old 18th June 2006
The M300 is quite a bit brighter than a KM84 or Schoeps CMC6 MK4. They (the M300) are the best general purpose SDC under $2000 IMO, only to be beat (IMHO) by the Schoeps.
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Addict

Finally got around to doing some comparisons between the Gefell M300 on overheads and the Soundelux U195s that I've been using. As part of this, I wanted to compare the Brent Averill 312s that I've been using to a Dan Alexander Neve 31105.

Overall impression: The Gefells are bigger, have more output, and sound thicker. The U195s have a beautiful overall balance though. I'm very hardpressed to say which I like better.

I should be able to post some audio files after Wednesday. For these purposes, I imagine you guys would like to hear just the overheads isolated. I was amazed at just how full the overheads were by themselves.

Lately, I've been preoccupied with my snare sound, trying different things, finally settling on Josephson e22s on top into a Purple Biz, and a Neumann KM84 on the bottom into an API 512. Never felt the need to change from a RE20 on kick. Though I also tried the kick through a BA 312 and a BA 1272. Also tried the Brent Averill 1272 on upper snare as well. And mostly use a Royer 121 as a room mike through a 6176 with fairly light (4:1) compression.

But if you guys are interested, I could post ...
U195 overheads the BA 312
U195 overheads > the Neve 31105
Gefell M300 overheads > the BA 312
Gefell M300 overheads > the Neve 31105

I imagine aiff files are best for all -- 24 or 16 bit?

best

Peter
Old 18th July 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete
But if you guys are interested, I could post ...
U195 overheads the BA 312
U195 overheads > the Neve 31105
Gefell M300 overheads > the BA 312
Gefell M300 overheads > the Neve 31105
That would be awesome if any of us were working in the same room with the same drummer with the same kit on the same music... but we're not so it's pretty well irrelevant.

It's great that folks are all kinds of willing to post their work and portions of their work but the fact of the matter is that it really won't apply to anything anyone else is doing unless they're in the identical situation.

BTW, I often find myself using Josephson C-42's in applications where a KM-84 would have been an ideal choice... and I find myself using M-300's where I'd like a little more clarity than the C-42's will provide... and M-295's when I want a bit silkier top end than the M-300's are capable of producing... but as always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the suggestions !

My choice is balanced between a Schoeps CMC6 Mk4 pair and a Gefell M300 pair. As far as I read, the Schoeps are comparable to the KM84, and the Gefell are brighter with a slight rise in the high end.

I really can't choose. The Schoeps are less pricey, but are difficult to find here.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums

Thanks !
I posted a sound sample from a drum session where I´m using M300 through Pacifica as overheads in another thread.. the name of the thread was something like m300 vs km84....

check it out

Kalli
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Addict

M300's are amazing mics on overhead duties ...

on a recent recording I tried two Coles 4038's as OH's ....

to diffuse ... everyone thought so ...

Then I put up the M300's .... ah perfect ... every one agreed !

Did I say sweet , sweet top end .......
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Addict

From my experience, I think the M300 really shine on drums with thick hi-mid sounding cymbals, whereas I'll get a better balance with the Coles 4038 on kits with very bright cymbals... Depends a lot on the drummer's style of course...
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Addict

well .... you certainly hit the nail on the head there .....

The kit was a jazz kit .... real dark cymbals ...

but I couldn't really hear the stick attack with the 4038's ...

and so it goes .....
Old 25th July 2006
Gear Addict

Sounds like people are really lovin these. I have been thinking of getting KM184s are the 300s worth the extra 200-300 for the pair?
Old 25th July 2006
Gear Addict

Ohh yes, the M300 pair is definitely worth the extra bucks over the harsh KM184s !...
Old 25th July 2006
Gear Addict

well im currently using Rode NT5's im sure either would be a nice step up.
Old 11th March 2009
Here for the gear

[quote=SLy_drums;760916]I'm currently using SM81s for demos on the OH, going into a Mindprint DTC.

Thanks ! [/quote
Old 11th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialin View Post
SM81 are a little too harsh to me.

I want a clear cymbal sound, shiny but not hyped, smooth & precise top end.

The Gefell M300 look like they are a very good alternative.
The M300's fit your description nicely! thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search