The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 7600
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

API 7600

Hi everyone, new member here.
I know there are other threads talking about this channel strip, but I didn't want to high-jack someone's thread on my first post.

Anyway I use a Mackie Onyx 1220 mixer with the firewire option card to enter my computer. Would it defeat the purpose entirely by buying a high end channel strip like the API 7600 and then run the signal through my mackie mixer?

Thanks, and great site here!

strings
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Addict
Yes
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for replying.

I was afraid of the weakest link thing.
I assume that also includes going into the mixer first, then using an insert or send with the 7600, then thru the converters?
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I dunno, I kinda disagree in theory though I have neither of these devices, so take this with a grain of salt...
Using the API mic pre and eq would be loads better than using the Mackie's. Any possible coloration imparted by the Mackie line input with the EQ circuit disengaged (if this is possible on an Onyx) would be slight compared to what it would have been if using the Mackie mic pres and eq.
I mean, ideally you'd want to go from the 7600 straight into a nice A/D (never tried the Mackie so I don't know how good it is) but I don't think the Mackie would even come close to crapping your signal up to a horrible degree. If the line inputs on the Mackie don't sound good, I would definitely try the main inserts as they might a more direct signal to the A/D conververter.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for replying pulse, you really have me thinking now.
First off I'm a novice to recording and my mixer is fairly new to me. I agree that a signal from the 7600 straight to a good A/D converter would be the way to go, but I would have to sell the mixer and may regret that down the road. The inserts may be worth a try, they by-pass the pre's and low cut filter and come in before the EQ, (which can be by-passed and are useless when the firewire card is in use).
So here is what the manual says about how the signal flows with the inserts:

"Inserts are 1/4" TRS jacks which provide a send and return point. Used to connect a serial effects devices such as compressors, equalizers, de-essers, filters etc. The insert points are after the gain and low cut controls, but before EQ and fader controls. The send tip is low-impedance, capable of driving any device. The return (ring) is high impediance and can be driven by almost any device."

Anyone see a potential problem brewing here?
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I use a similar approach: I take the signals from some more or less expensive outboard preamps/channel strips an just use the Mackie's (8-bus in my case) insert returns and faders to feed the converters.
Although this isn't the purist way of doing things, I still feel that the "goodness" of the outboard manages to shine through, and it definitely beats the Mackie's preamps.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Running the API into the insert should work fine. You would just connect the tip of the ouput to whatever the return is (usually ring) on the Mackie.
I'm not sure how the routing on the Mackie works in conjunction with the A/D converter, but you could get an even more direct signal patch by patching the API out into the main board L/R insert or a 2 track retrun... either of these should send it straight to the master fader. If you're recordiing one track at a time, that is.
But even if you just run straight into the line input, unless you completely and outrageously tank the gain staging on the Mackie it should sound loads better.
I can't imagine that the 7600 would be a bad purchase or something you would outgrow. If you buy it, just use your ears to find the best sounding routing. It might be that running it straight into the line input and bypassing the EQ sounds best, without actually using these pieces together it's all just theory.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

strings

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search