The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stores around NY
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

stores around NY

hello, its not a subject for high end but i belive some of you know... im looking for a store in NY city area to go review and purchuse some gear, is there any stores around NY that carry highend gear, i know B&H but they madly expensive...

thx in advance.
Old 13th June 2006
This came up once before, you can do a seach and pull up the last thread on this for more info.

Dale Pro Audio

Sam Ash and Manny's 48th Street

Guitar Center and GC Pro at Union Square

...are the most obvious.

B&H are known for competitive pricing, so if you think they are expensive you may not be happy with your other choices either.

-gil
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Guru

Alto Music has just opened a "branch" in NY:

website

haven't been there but it looks interesting

here is what they say

Quote:
Studio environment - no retail in sight.
Sound proofed and acoustically treated.
Appointment only.
No intercoms.
One on one, just you and the good doctor.
No shredding teens, unless you bring your own.
sounds pretty cool

Also - the "real" Alto- the store in Middletown NY - about an hour and a half north of the city might be worth a trip. They just started carrying Wunder and Chandler.

on the other hand, if you think B&H's prices are "high" you can't afford this stuff anyway. I doubt you will find anybody who can beat B&H on price for most things.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

I was just at Dale Electronics, and that place is amazing. They have one room dedicated to listening to monitors and compressors. They had Lipinski monitors they were raving about and lots of tweaky compressors. Another room for checking out mics. They have a dozen great mics, a dozen great pres and a CD burner. You can record a bunch of combinations (using a pair of 12x1 matrix switchers) and bring home a CD to evaluate and decide. They have a drumset and Marshal amp in that room as well for source material. They also have a huge Icon console, etc. etc. I would absolutely buy stuff there if I was local.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just what the doctor ordered

Hi - saw your post and that is exactly what Alto has set up in NYC. Located in midtown, by appointment only, and nary a cash register in sight. You can come down, have a coffee, check out gear and software in an acoustically treated, and more importantly, silent room.

Drop me a line and we can schedule an appointment.

Cheers,

Dr. Koss

[email protected]
http://www.altomusic.com/nyc/
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

THERE IS NO ALTOS in NYC. I'm the contractor who has built them....there is one in Middletown off of Rt. 211, Monsey on Rt. 59 and Wappangers Falls on Rt. 9
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push845
THERE IS NO ALTOS in NYC. I'm the contractor who has built them....there is one in Middletown off of Rt. 211, Monsey on Rt. 59 and Wappangers Falls on Rt. 9

check the link in Dr Koss's post or my post
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

We are indeed Alto, although not built by the aforementioned contractor. Would have been lovely to have the extra help while soundproofing the room though...

Dr. Koss

http://www.altomusic.com/nyc
[email protected]
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Just a plug for Alto..they've been very cool w/ their upstate location...
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

East Village Music Store occasionally gets stuff in one might consider high end, somewhere on 3rd or 4th if memory serves, Mojo Guitars has "high end" gtrs and amps, on 8th I think...there are a few. It's Manfreakinghattan.

Here's one of the lists. Give 'em a call and ask for the kind of stuff you're looking for....

http://www.raveny.com/music/manhattan/index.htm

Cheers.

Old 16th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKoss
We are indeed Alto, although not built by the aforementioned contractor. Would have been lovely to have the extra help while soundproofing the room though...

Dr. Koss

http://www.altomusic.com/nyc
[email protected]
What The?...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search