The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Germanium Condenser Microphones
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Nut

thanks thermos

thanks thermos

i first did it with the headphones and the differences were hard but that's cuz i was hearing my head resonate and all that.
once i recorded and played it back i could tell more. i went ahead and normalized and change gain to make them as equal as possible.

here is sample with the thick switch on and off
Attached Files

germtestsm57thick.mp3 (662.7 KB, 188 views)

Old 15th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
Personally I think the Chandler Germaniums sound kinda bad. It has a very 'old' sound to it which I don't like. It's very muddy and compressed sounding. I sold mine. The only thing I thought it sounded OK on was kick and snare and even that wasnt great. Too retro for me
try em on a drum room with a ribbon...

retro is why i like em.... makes everything sound like an old motown record to me
Old 15th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer
hey what studio did you worked for in montreal? also, if you need drums parts for your MBV stuff, I'm right here!!
it was called "house of dig"... but i think it's called something else now...

tricked out neotek elite.. 20 channels of compression.. lots of juicy EQs... big fun...

drums... yes, maybe... any samples?

i didnt think ppl would be into this.. but maybe i was wrong. i should really post some stuff on a webpage somewhere and see who likes... and here i was thinking i'm some dinosaur who only likes music recorded from '89-94.... well, not true, but you get the idea...

everyone should move to the philippines for awhile... no bush junta here.. cheap food... cheap rent.. and i'm moving into a wicked new place on top of a hill august 1... the more the merrier!
Old 15th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413
everyone should move to the philippines for awhile... no bush junta here.. cheap food... cheap rent.. and i'm moving into a wicked new place on top of a hill august 1... the more the merrier!
My friend is moving out there in October (I think)... How is the real estate?

Also, I have to say I love all of these Germanium threads.... it definitely has a cool sound, and I can see why people like to show it off.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I used some germaniums this past weekend tracking drums. I used them with a pair of Beyer M160's on drum room. I then swapped out the 160's for some Avenson STO-2'S, which were a bit more open sounding. Both awesome through the Germs. The next test for them is guitars. I also got the Mono gama, four of those too. I'm spoiled.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobo
The Germ really comes alive when you run a Fender thru it.

Maybe that's the problem. Or maybe Bad + Really Bad = Good

I dunno................
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just an quick update.....tried the Germanium last night, DI on guitar only (maybe an hour tops) so this is not an in depth opinion (that might come later), and only applies to that aspect....anyway, as far as it goes, I like it fine, but prefer the Pacifica DI for guitar...already know I love the Pacifica on bass, so I'll compare that next, then on to mics...my "gut" feeling tells me that the Germ is going to be a little too "colored" for my personal taste, but I'm trying to keep an open mind at this point...definitely adds a "thickness" to the sound (depending on settings, etc.) and I can see this being great on some sources, but I kept going back to the Pacifica, and each time thinking, "yeah, there it is", so might just be the Pacifica's tonality is my comfort-zone, who knows...I'll post more later, objectively if possible...

BW
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

All these germanium threads...

...are starting to confuse me. Here's a post on another thread that might actually belong here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost....&postcount=292

P.S. Jules, how about fusing all Germ threads into one (or better yet, a dedicated germanium forum)?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

what I found on the germanium as cool as it sounds, is that I'm happy with
the sound while tracking, but want to reach for an eq more often than with
other pres while mixing.

I really like the color from the germanium on crunchy guitars and drum rooms.
Used 'em a few times on kick and snare, but gone back to my previous favorites
1064/API 312/Helios/TG2.....

wolfgang
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Addict
This may sound like a silly questions, but how do the highs sound through this preamp ? Everyone talks about the fattness in the low end, but how does the high end sound ?
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

The Germ is certainly some kinda one trick pony. BUT: After discovering this trick, I wouldn't ever want to record without it! In every session there is a place for "that" tone! Word! (Jazz, Acoustic Rock, Pop)
Just take a rather airy mic (C12-like, Rode tube, Pearlman TM-2, Blue mics, JZ mics, new Gefell ones, Neumann KM) and try a vocal over the Germ! This thing rocks!! It makes everything round without (!) being dull! There are all those highs You'd ever wanted, they are just a bit tamed. Just perfect. Like a buid in very slight deesser...
To my ears this pre is not thick. Thick is a Aphex 1100. It's more some sort of V76-ish, IMHO. Big and clean at the same time, but with tons of colour. Not the iron (= Neve / Great River) kind of big. Just another sort of "richness". Hard to explain.
I'd simply love to have four of those. (but not more!)
My dream setup would be: 4 Germs, 2 Great Rivers, 2 La Chapell, 16 Grace.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Guru

great pres, just a bit to warm and soft for me, thick button is useless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search