The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series consoles Summing Mixers
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno W View Post
Apologies accepted, Brad.
Thank you, much appreciated

Best
Bruno
Ocean Audio / Interphase Audio
Hey Bruno, on the ARK, are any of the 500 slots able to be assigned to any input/output or is it the corresponding channel?
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apologies accepted, Brad.
Thank you, much appreciated

Best
Bruno
And just so that the record is clear, I neither work for a competitor, nor am I aware of any competitor making false claims. I'm just one of those pesky potential customers.
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Hey Bruno, on the ARK, are any of the 500 slots able to be assigned to any input/output or is it the corresponding channel?
The Middle Input section of the L-frame has two rows of 8 slots for 500-series modules (for a total of 16 slots per block of 8 channels).
The Middle Input section of the M-frame has one row of 8 slots for 500-series modules (for a total of 8 slots per block of 8 channels).

Note that none of the 500 slots are “tied” to the channels.
Actually the 500 slots are totally independent from the rest of the console.
They have their own I/O connectors on the back panel, and even have their own power supply.

Consider it one or two 8-slot racks which are installed in the Ark 8.

This allows full flexibility, since you can use any 500 module (or chain of 500 modules) on any channel.

I hope this info answers your question.

Peace
Bruno
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
And just so that the record is clear, I neither work for a competitor, nor am I aware of any competitor making false claims. I'm just one of those pesky potential customers.
We're working very hard to offer great and honest products to the community.
I know that the Ocean Audio history has been a bit "confusing" (to put it mildly). Much of this has to do with the constant attacks which we received here on Gearslutz from some competitor (and people he managed to convince about his nonsense). As a result, we became a little sensitive on all remarks concerning our business.
But rest assured.
A whole group of international professionals has been working on this new console for over 12 months. For me, as "project manager" it has been a fantastic year. It was great getting all this feedback and input from all parts of the pro audio community. I have been travelling all over and have spend a lot of time with all those people (it's really becoming a very long "thank you" list).
To be honest, I think no other company ever did this.
Talk to a lot of producers, engineers, recording studios, musicians, schools and even kids in training, about what they want and need. And combine all that input in the design of what is becoming "an amazing analogue console".
I almost wrote "the ultimate analogue console", but since I'm from Europe, we try to stay a bit humble

Cheers
Bruno
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Middle Input section of the L-frame has two rows of 8 slots for 500-series modules (for a total of 16 slots per block of 8 channels).
The Middle Input section of the M-frame has one row of 8 slots for 500-series modules (for a total of 8 slots per block of 8 channels).

Note that none of the 500 slots are “tied” to the channels.
Actually the 500 slots are totally independent from the rest of the console.
They have their own I/O connectors on the back panel, and even have their own power supply.

Consider it one or two 8-slot racks which are installed in the Ark 8.

This allows full flexibility, since you can use any 500 module (or chain of 500 modules) on any channel.

I hope this info answers your question.

Peace
Bruno
Makes perfect sense
Old 1st December 2016
Quote:
[snip]
But rest assured.
A whole group of international professionals has been working on this new console for over 12 months. For me, as "project manager" it has been a fantastic year. It was great getting all this feedback and input from all parts of the pro audio community. I have been travelling all over and have spend a lot of time with all those people (it's really becoming a very long "thank you" list).
To be honest, I think no other company ever did this.
T[snip]

Cheers
Bruno
Is there a reason that you can't say who the designer is Bruno? I'm sure we would all love to know.
Old 1st December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is there a reason that you can't say who the designer is Bruno? I'm sure we would all love to know.
It sorta looks like the Paul Wolff board that never really came to fruition. Maybe it's him? Seems to be the logical designer choice
Old 1st December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
It sorta looks like the Paul Wolff board that never really came to fruition. Maybe it's him? Seems to be the logical designer choice
It's possible I guess but I would very much doubt it. He has his own modular board out at the moment and this would be very direct competition.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's not a secret who the designer is. It's actually a group of designers.
They will get credit when we publish the console manual.
But for the time being, we prefer not to share that information, for a number of reasons.
1. These guys don't really want to be in the spotlight.
2. And we prefer keeping them "in the shade" because they are really, really good designers and we do not want to risk some competitor "stealing" them away from us.

Apart from that, I'm surprised on how much importance is being given to who the designer of the Ark8 is. I have not seen this question asked anywhere else on these pages, about any of the other consoles out there.
Shouldn't any console be judged on it's own merits, instead of on a designer's name and fame?

As said, our designers are really, really good, and all of them earned their stripes at other pro audio companies. All of them want to make a clear statement with the Ark8 on how great design leads to amazing quality.

When we started working on the Ark8, we worked out the layout, the features and the signal path, and specifically asked the designers not to cut any corners.
They were really happy being asked not to do this. (when they work for other manufacturers, it's sometimes the other way around, to save on cost)

We could have hired a well known designer, to maybe get the same result.
But for the sake of sticking a designer's name on the console, the price of the Ark would have to be doubled. I did not want to do that, and I don't think any of our customers wants that :-)

Cheers
Bruno
Arkconsole.com

PS: Sorry for waiting a bit with this reply, but I was nice to see the speculation about the designer's name going on ;-)
PPS: Paul W is a good friend, but he does not have anything to do with the Ark8 (for now, but you never know what may happen in the future)
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Apart from that, I'm surprised on how much importance is being given to who the designer of the Ark8 is. I have not seen this question asked anywhere else on these pages, about any of the other consoles out there.
Shouldn't any console be judged on it's own merits, instead of on a designer's name and fame?
Its because(at least for me) you can judge how most designs are going to sound from the designer. If you get ADL it will be a transformer heavy tube type of sound. Fred F, you are getting a wide open clean clear sound.
Old 2nd December 2016
Thank you for explaining why you won't tell us.

As you say yourself, great design leads to great quality. It follows that if the designer is great, it will tell us a lot about how good the product will be.

Everything else is (with respect)just marketing puff from marketeers. And this is an industry with more than its share of that.

Quote:
They will get credit when we publish the console manual.
But for the time being, we prefer not to share that information, for a number of reasons.
1. These guys don't really want to be in the spotlight.
2. And we prefer keeping them "in the shade" because they are really, really good designers and we do not want to risk some competitor "stealing" them away from us.

As said, our designers are really, really good, and all of them earned their stripes at other pro audio companies. All of them want to make a clear statement with the Ark8 on how great design leads to amazing quality.

When we started working on the Ark8, we worked out the layout, the features and the signal path, and specifically asked the designers not to cut any corners.
They were really happy being asked not to do this. (when they work for other manufacturers, it's sometimes the other way around, to save on cost)

We could have hired a well known designer, to maybe get the same result.
But for the sake of sticking a designer's name on the console, the price of the Ark would have to be doubled. I did not want to do that, and I don't think any of our customers wants that :-)

Cheers
Bruno
Arkconsole.com

PS: Sorry for waiting a bit with this reply, but I was nice to see the speculation about the designer's name going on ;-)
PPS: Paul W is a good friend, but he does not have anything to do with the Ark8 (for now, but you never know what may happen in the future)
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you for explaining why you won't tell us.

As you say yourself, great design leads to great quality. It follows that if the designer is great, it will tell us a lot about how good the product will be.

Everything else is (with respect)just marketing puff from marketeers. And this is an industry with more than its share of that.
Oh well...
May I kindly point out that we have not made any announcement here on Gearslutz yet? We did not want to do this, before being completely ready.
But we were dragged into this thread, so are a bit forced and try to answer every question as honest as possible.
If you feel this sounds as marketing puff, that is sad, but so be it.

I tried to honestly explain why we do not want to publish the names of the designers yet. Maybe you should read my previous message again. This may help to understand, before jumping to conclusions.

Peace
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 2nd December 2016
Quote:
Oh well...
May I kindly point out that we have not made any announcement here on Gearslutz yet? We did not want to do this, before being completely ready.
But we were dragged into this thread, so are a bit forced and try to answer every question as honest as possible.
If you feel this sounds as marketing puff, that is sad, but so be it.

I tried to honestly explain why we do not want to publish the names of the designers yet. Maybe you should read my previous message again. This may help to understand, before jumping to conclusions.

Peace
Bruno
arkconsole.com
I'm sorry you think I'm jumping to any conclusions Bruno. You asked why I wanted to know who the designer was. I told you. All I'm saying is that you saying it is really great really tells us nothing. Everyone says their product is really great. Knowing who the designer is would tell us if there is any truth in that or it is just maketing puff.

As an aside, you seem to assume that everyone who questions anything you say is attacking you in some way. That is not the case. If you put a little information out there to help with your marketing, you need to expect questions. It is human nature. If you don't want to get embroiled in anything, take a leaf out of the books of some of the bigger companies and say nothing until your console is actually announced and you are willing to answer questions. Take API, they just announced a brand new console. They hadn't taken to gearslutz before hand to put teasers out. As a result, they didn't get inundated with questions. Pretty simple really.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Its because(at least for me) you can judge how most designs are going to sound from the designer. If you get ADL it will be a transformer heavy tube type of sound. Fred F, you are getting a wide open clean clear sound.
Thank you for explaining, but this a a completely different question.
I'll try to answer it the best I can, without going into "marketing puff" :-)

The Ark8 has been designed to be very transparent, open, clean and clear sounding (with huge headroom and incredible S/N ratio)
Why?
When you have this transparent and clear sound, it is easy to add colour and character.
When you have a coloured and very characteristic console, you have to work with that colour. There is no way around it.

So how would you add colour or character to the Ark8?
Easy.
- You use our transformer option (which can be almost any transformer brand on the market)
- You add colour with the 500-series modules of your liking
- You add colour by connecting external gear to the multiple inserts per channel
- You add colour with our middle input channel (which replaces the 500-series modules) There are a number of different input channel section in the works. Some are ours, some will be from other manufacturers.

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm sorry you think I'm jumping to any conclusions Bruno. You asked why I wanted to know who the designer was. I told you. All I'm saying is that you saying it is really great really tells us nothing. Everyone says their product is really great. Knowing who the designer is would tell us if there is any truth in that or it is just maketing puff.

As an aside, you seem to assume that everyone who questions anything you say is attacking you in some way. That is not the case. If you put a little information out there to help with your marketing, you need to expect questions. It is human nature. If you don't want to get embroiled in anything, take a leaf out of the books of some of the bigger companies and say nothing until your console is actually announced and you are willing to answer questions. Take API, they just announced a brand new console. They hadn't taken to gearslutz before hand to put teasers out. As a result, they didn't get inundated with questions. Pretty simple really.

May I point out again that we did not make any announcements here or put teasers out here (on purpose)?

The information will come, but it will come when we are ready, not when you order us to.

I'm here to answer questions from forum members, and I'm trying to do this as honest and open as possible.
I'm not here to be bullied or lectured by a moderator.

If you as moderator actively participate in a thread but then start deleting messages from any one who does not agree with you, then there is something seriously wrong here.

Bruno
arkconsole.com

[deleted by mod]

Last edited by Bruno W; 5th December 2016 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: Keep it on topic please
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
- You use our transformer option (which can be almost any transformer brand on the market)
This is interesting. Is this a option that you can add at anytime or is it only on order? Seems like you guys really thought out a lot of options for this console.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

This console is gonna simply be amazing.

And yes, keep it as clean sounding as possible!! I (most of us) have a ton of transformer / iron heavy outboard with the grit and tone we want. And most of us (all of us) want to apply this grit/tone specifically where we want it whether at tracking or come mix time.

And Bruno, don't let these guys hassle you about non- Ark related questions i.e. who designed it/whatever. Who cares!! Designers ONLY matter AFTER the stuff is made and people like it. Leave the guy alone. He has a ton of work to do! Don't clutter up the pages with your senseless defensive offensive statements. I have almost broke my GS ignore button!!

The design is basically perfect for the 'build into a bigger console guy' that has a collection of 500 series and yet can't ever pop for a larger console.

Bruno,
How easy will it be to add 8 channel sections later? Is this a do it yourself job or will you have to have a tech come do it?
Also, I'm still a lil confused on how the 16 auxes work.. they all work independently and at the same time?

Great work all around. Guys like you making products like these are the miracle of the modern audio industry. Stick with it!!

Last edited by Salty James; 30th December 2016 at 06:33 PM..
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
This console is gonna simply be amazing.

And yes, keep it as clean sounding as possible!! I (most of us) have a ton of transformer / iron heavy outboard with the grit and tone we want. And most of us (all of us) want to apply this grit/tone specifically where we want it whether at tracking or come mix time.

And Bruno, don't let these guys hassle you about non- Ark related questions i.e. who designed it/whatever. Who cares!! Designers ONLY matter AFTER the stuff is made and people like it. Leave the guy alone. He has a ton of work to do! Don't clutter up the pages with your senseless defensive offensive statements. I have almost broke my GS ignore button!!

The design is basically perfect for the 'build into a bigger console guy' that has a collection of 500 series and yet can't ever pop for a larger console.

Bruno,
How easy will it be to add 8 channel sections later? Is this a do it yourself job or will you have to have a tech come do it?
Also, I'm still a lil confused on how the 16 auxes work.. they all work independently and at the same time?

Great work all around. Guys like you making products like these are the miracle of the modern audio industry. Stick with it!!
“Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in”
After all the hassle, I was about to turn my back on Gearslutz, but not replying to a supportive message like this would be rather impolite.

Thank you for your nice and supportive message, James.

From the beginning, we wanted the Ark8 to be as configurable and expandable as possible.
You can actually start with just a master section and one 8-channel bucket, and add any number of additional 8-channel buckets later on (when space and budget allows). You can do this step-by-step if you like.

Adding more buckets later on is quite easy, and - unless you "have two left hands” - should not require a tech to come in.
It’s just a matter of unplugging most of the modules, so you can reach the inside of the console.
All modules plug in to buss boards, and can be easily removed (unscrew them, and pull them out)
After that, unscrew and remove the wooden side panel, align the new bucket, and bold both buckets together using the same holes as were used by the screws for the wood.
The holes for screws and bolds have been positioned so they can be easily reached, and we of course supply the correct bolds.
Connect a couple of flat cables from one bucket to the next (all buss boards have through connectors on both sides) and screw the wooden side panel to the new bucket. Plug the modules back in, and you’re done.
If the extra bucket(s) are added in the middle of the console, there is no need to remove the wooden side panel.
The whole operation should not take more than an hour.

From the start, we wanted to offer more auxes than the traditional 6 to 8 which you find on most other analogue consoles.
Yes, we listened
But adding more aux send controls to each channel largely increases the size and the cost of each channel.
So we came up with an original solution (of which I’m rather proud, to be honest).

The master section has 16 aux masters.
Instead of calling them Aux master 1 to 16, we call them Aux “A” 1-8 and Aux “B” 1-8

Each channel has 8 aux sends (4 mono and 2 stereo with pan)
But … on each channel you can independently send each pair of auxes to either the Aux “A” or the Aux “B” master outputs.

This means you get a total of 16 aux sends, of which any combination of 8 can be accessed on a per channel basis.

The auxes have some additional features:
- Each aux send has it’s own on/off switch.
- Each pair of auxes can be switched pre or post fader
- Each pair of auxes can be inserted in either the small fader path or in the large fader path

Here’s a practical example of some possibilities when all this gets combined :

Channel 1 : Aux 1 and 2 / pre-fader / large fader path / to Aux “A” master out
Channel 2 : Aux 1 and 2 / post-fader / small fader path / to Aux “A” master out
Channel 3 : Aux 1 and 2 / post-fader / large fader path / to Aux “B” master out
etc.

I used Aux 1 and 2 as example here, but you can do these selections and routings per pair of auxes and per channel independently.

Talking to a lot of professionals over the past years, taught me that most of them want a lot of aux sends so they can have everything connected and ready to go, including outboard effects and headphone mixes (no re-patching needed). But I also found out that most of them don’t use more than 8 auxes per channel, at the same time. (remember, our 8 auxes can actually be routed to 16 outputs)
So to keep cost and size of the console reasonable, we opted for this solution.

I have not heard of any other manufacturer offering something similar, but would not be surprised if this idea gets picked-up by some of them shortly :-)
I hope you, and the community like our solution.

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Head

Nice article on Purple Audio 500 series console and JamRacks studio furniture in this months Tape Op Magazine.

Purple Audio: MFTwenty5 Modular Console | Tape Op Magazine | Longform candid interviews with music producers and audio engineers covering mixing, mastering, recording and music production.

Here is the latest desk design that will be going to Andrew Roberts (owner of Purple Audio) amazing fire house studio in PA.

This will be 60 channels of 500 series modules with faders!

https://www.jamracks.com/
Old 26th October 2017
Gear Nut

Ark8

Time to revive this thread, and let the community know that the Ark8 is real

Here's a picture of the first Ark8 close to being installed.
(background has been grayed-out, since this picture was taken in our workshop. Nothing secret, but we really don't think the mess behind the console looks nice in the original picture)

The middle input and master section on this console are currently blank.
500 modules can be installed there (16 per 8 channels, and 16 on the master section).
But this specific console will get our own inductive EQ on the inputs, ready in a couple of weeks.

This is just an example configuration of what we can build.
Almost any configuration is possible.

Enjoy, and feel free to contact me for any additional information.

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Attached Thumbnails
500 series consoles-ark8_003.png   500 series consoles-ark8_002.jpg  
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

Amazing look and design, and honestly the ARK8's modular construction seems to perfectly fit the bill, most interested.
Great stuff!

Cheers,
TLB
Old 27th October 2017
Beautiful design Bruno.
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Amazing look and design, and honestly the ARK8's modular construction seems to perfectly fit the bill, most interested.
Great stuff!

Cheers,
TLB
Thanks for the nice words.
We worked really hard to get here, it's nice to hear that our work is appreciated.

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Beautiful design Bruno.
Thanks Paul.
Does this mean you're getting ready for an upgrade

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
Thanks Paul.
Does this mean you're getting ready for an upgrade

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Yes but it would have to have the same dimensions to fit my custom built stand.
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Yes but it would have to have the same dimensions to fit my custom built stand.
I'm confident that can be arranged, Paul.

Talk soon
Cheers
Bruno
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Head
Looks similar to the new Daking console. Nice design.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZIKSLUT View Post
Looks similar to the new Daking console. Nice design.
Thank you for your nice words.

A lot of people will probably not believe me, but the similarity to the Daking console is coincidental.
I also noticed the similarity - after - finishing the design and prototype of the Ark8.

But since the Daking console looks to be a very nice and high-quality console as well, I need to admit that I don't mind the similarity

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Thank you for your nice words.

A lot of people will probably not believe me, but the similarity to the Daking console is coincidental.
I also noticed the similarity - after - finishing the design and prototype of the Ark8.

But since the Daking console looks to be a very nice and high-quality console as well, I need to admit that I don't mind the similarity

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
I agree, great looking consoles. Favoring the Ark because of the 500 series integration.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search