The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help me spend $15k wisely Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah,
Find someone that you TRUST and double your investment.
Otherwise, $15k is going to leave you wanting much, much more...

Seamus
Old 21st June 2006
Gear Addict

I think we need more than 15k to get the gear you're after....
Old 22nd June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
That would be ok, except I know guys that will do it for less than that, try free! That's in a nutshell has been one of the biggest problems of this industry. Here in the UK every university/college run media/music technology courses, its easy to find students because they "want to be in the music bussiness/don't care if it only pays the same as flipping burgers at McDonalds as there is more to life than money".

Hey kid, I'm 42 years old, slogged my guts out in this industry for 27 years, have a wife and a mortgage, I need to make quite a lot more than McDonalds pays or my wife will make my life a living hell. You see she's got it into her head that not having the bank repossesing the house, food on the table, the occasional family holiday, kids and a decent family car are necessities. I love music just about as much as anyone I know, but I still like to get laid too, IM not so HO it beats hanging with a bunch of sweaty muso's of a night so I figure that I will charge sensible rates, do some of the boring stuff that I can get paid for.

My only point is that for $15k you aren't going to get much kit, not really enought to get paid to do stuff with, and taking that amount out on a loan, you better get a job at McDonalds because you will need it to make the repayments. To put some perspective on it, I've spent a lot more than $15k on a single piece of pro software. All joking aside I would (if you are truly serious) go work with someone else, helping out, making tea, humping the gear for a band/pa company, this way you have the chance to meet talented people whom you can learn off. Hey if you are any good you might actually make some money doing this.

Regards to all

Roland
i understand how you feel. but your comment "I need to make quite a lot more than McDonalds pays...I figure that I will charge sensible rates" along with your point that "for $15k you aren't going to get much kit, not really enought to get paid to do stuff with" sort of cancel each other out. we're clearly in 2 different boats.

i never said i don't WANT to be paid properly, and that one day when/if i work myself up to the position of having a good reputation and a bigger studio with more gear i won't expect it. my comment was more about passion, and how the state of the industry isn't going to stop me trying to get into the position i just mentioned. by the way i've been paid to work with alot less than i have now. i've also been paid to work in an amazing studio with a brilliant award winning producer/engineer, and great equipment which is now informing my purchasing decisions. that job DID pay less than a mcdonalds worker. that's because the industry (in my neck of the woods anyway) has, as you say, problems.

oh, and i'm typing this from my current day job, which isn't audio related, but isn't mcdonalds either. i plan on keeping this day job until my weekend and evenings are so busy in the studio i can move to part time work and spend the rest of the time recording, and then finally drop it all together (if that actually happens, of course).

Jazzy Alz and Seamus - you're both right! i'll probably skip the eq right now. of course as a gearslut it doesn't matter how much i have, i'll always want much, much more...
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Borrowing money for a depreciating assets

Hold your horses Jumbo_baby84. Take your spread sheet/proforma to a trusted business acccountant and get some professional advice. That will cost you a couple of hundred dollars. If you have not crunched the numbers such that you can have a heart to heart with an accountant then your plan is not a plan but a fantasy. 15K is a very expensive lesson. If you had 15K in your pocket and lost it you could write if off like a fun trip to Las Vegas. If things don't work out exactly the way you fantasy you could end up hating what you have a love and passion for.

Is there anyone who disagrees with me that a person should not take on a debt like this without a bomb proof proforma.

History repeats itself in many unusual forms. Slavery is illegal; however, the modern slave is the person who is in debt for a depreciating asset. It will zap you of your creative juices. The real free people in the world are the ones who are debt free no matter how modest their existence.
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Addict

A good start would be -

u47/c12 -> stereo 1073/1084 -> stereo distressors
($8000) ($7000) ($3000)

ALL ORIGINAL

You will have a killer setup and it will keep it's value
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Addict

I like Roland's suggestion in getting in with a veteran to learn more about engineering.

I've got a bunch of gear, but learning with some experienced folks is doing more for me for now than the gear is. I think the gear I have is quality and will serve me well when I know better how to use it after spending some time with others.
Old 23rd June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinswp
I like Roland's suggestion in getting in with a veteran to learn more about engineering.

I've got a bunch of gear, but learning with some experienced folks is doing more for me for now than the gear is. I think the gear I have is quality and will serve me well when I know better how to use it after spending some time with others.
like i said in my last post, i've done that. it was great and i'd recommend it to anyone lucky enough to be allowed the opportunity. i was one of the lucky ones, and i learnt a huge amount from a GREAT prod/eng. but after a while i was learning more from the sessions i was running than the sessions i was seconding on. the reason for that is that it's a job, not a classroom, and there wasn't always time for me to ask questions. it was still awesome to be there and watch and pick up new tricks, but it wasn't paying me enough to save any money, and anyway, the studio moved interstate. the next guy i worked with was an idiot who less than me, despite him being a "veteran" so that ended pretty quickly.

midnightsun: i was waiting for that comment. i was actually kinda hoping to be persuaded not to get a loan. i don't fancy being in debt, but there's complicated backstory going on, the bottom line of which is that if i don't have the gear very soon i lose a $6000 gig recording my own girlfriend.
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Addict

put it in the bank
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo_baby84
midnightsun: i was waiting for that comment. i was actually kinda hoping to be persuaded not to get a loan. i don't fancy being in debt, but there's complicated backstory going on, the bottom line of which is that if i don't have the gear very soon i lose a $6000 gig recording my own girlfriend.
I still recommend that you do a proforma. You are talking about being a businessman. In this new chosen career you are embarking on, you need to be able to formulate a business spread sheet or have people working for you who can present you with the numbers (account, bookkeeper, or business consultant). The certainty of the 6K is a nice.
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
like i said in my last post, i've done that. it was great and i'd recommend it to anyone lucky enough to be allowed the opportunity. i was one of the lucky ones, and i learnt a huge amount from a GREAT prod/eng. but after a while i was learning more from the sessions i was running than the sessions i was seconding on. the reason for that is that it's a job, not a classroom, and there wasn't always time for me to ask questions. it was still awesome to be there and watch and pick up new tricks, but it wasn't paying me enough to save any money, and anyway, the studio moved interstate. the next guy i worked with was an idiot who less than me, despite him being a "veteran" so that ended pretty quickly.

Rent an HD rig and some outboard or get some studio time at the place you worked. Pocket the 6K and invest that in some gear. Thats how I would go about it anyway.
Old 23rd June 2006
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
if i don't have the gear very soon i lose a $6000 gig recording my own girlfriend.
There are some weired priorities involved here.

You get a gig because you own some gear? Not because of your skills?
If so, owning gear won´t get you very far anyway...

There is no need to own gear at all to make money and deliver great recordings. Rent the stuff (or the studio) you need and as soon as you have so many uses for gear that owning is a better deal than renting - go for it.

I think that would be the professional approach.

I have the feeling that recently there are more and more people at gearslutz who are more passionate about collecting gear than the results of their work.
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Addict

buy a kilo of cocaine on a 30 day consignment - cut it 1 to 1 - sell it - you've just doubled your money. easy! thumbsup
Old 26th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Alz
buy a kilo of cocaine on a 30 day consignment - cut it 1 to 1 - sell it - you've just doubled your money. easy! thumbsup
that's the first sensible thing anyone has said. but seriously, it is a complicated scenario and it would take a few pages of explaining which i'm really not bothered to do because that's not really why i posted this. but good advice it all was nevertheless, and i think i'll go for 2 channels of quality inputs rather than trying for 8. i guess drums will have to be done some other how. i'm now considering an api a2d or a grace lunatec v3 (both 2 channels with a/d conversion). i'll be using the 002 d/a. which do you think would be a better all rounder? any other options? do u guys think the a/d built into pre amps of this kind would be a big improvement over the 002 a/d?

thanks for your guidance!

simon
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
that's the first sensible thing anyone has said. but seriously, it is a complicated scenario and it would take a few pages of explaining which i'm really not bothered to do because that's not really why i posted this. but good advice it all was nevertheless, and i think i'll go for 2 channels of quality inputs rather than trying for 8. i guess drums will have to be done some other how. i'm now considering an api a2d or a grace lunatec v3 (both 2 channels with a/d conversion). i'll be using the 002 d/a. which do you think would be a better all rounder? any other options?

Jimbo Baby - Did you bid on the KHE??
Old 26th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Alz
Jimbo Baby - Did you bid on the KHE??
yes once. but that was a long time ago when it was like 5 bucks. ok maybe a little more than that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search