The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chicago.....snare drum reverb....wtf did they use??
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Chicago.....snare drum reverb....wtf did they use??

Ok....a friend of mine has been telling me for a while that Chicago made awesome studio recordings. I've had their greatest hits sitting around for a while now, I'm not even sure how or when I got it, but I decided to take it for a spin in my car today. Holy snare reverb Batman!!! Great treatments on the vocals as well.....but every single song seems to have the same long dense splashy reverb on the snare drum which sounds like a trigger or drum machine btw which I'm not too fond of. But the reverb....I love it. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights as to what they used on snare to get this sound. Really, if anyone has any info on their recordings I think it might be an interesting discussion. Whether or not you like their music, and I am squarely on the fence on this one, I think their use of ambience to create space is outstanding. So wtf did they use??
Sean
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

If you're talking about the '80's stuff, Humberto Gatica used a lot Roland SRV2000. I used to have his presets for whatever that's worth, though I could never get them to work for me.
Old 13th June 2006
Get your mullet trimmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegenh5
Ok....a friend of mine has been telling me for a while that Chicago made awesome studio recordings. I've had their greatest hits sitting around for a while now, I'm not even sure how or when I got it, but I decided to take it for a spin in my car today. Holy snare reverb Batman!!! Great treatments on the vocals as well.....but every single song seems to have the same long dense splashy reverb on the snare drum which sounds like a trigger or drum machine btw which I'm not too fond of. But the reverb....I love it. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights as to what they used on snare to get this sound. Really, if anyone has any info on their recordings I think it might be an interesting discussion. Whether or not you like their music, and I am squarely on the fence on this one, I think their use of ambience to create space is outstanding. So wtf did they use??
Sean
Lexicon PCM 70 thats for the worst exesses of mullet hair snare. FM ETC.
Do you have to. There are lots more tasteful snare gate rev FX.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec
Lexicon PCM 70 thats for the worst exesses of mullet hair snare. FM ETC.
Do you have to. There are lots more tasteful snare gate rev FX.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
Nice!

But I always though SPX 90 was the Mullet reverb??
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Nut

I had the privilege to work with Humberto in the late 80's. I was actually surprised at some of the "cheap" gear that he did use. Several SPX 90's, REV 7's, etc., but he also used AMS verbs and delays as well as the EMT 250 for his main verb. He was fond in those days of triggering a snare sample off of the AMS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search