The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Augspurger Install, Firewall Rebuild chronicled
Old 4th October 2006
Gear Addict

HDguru,

Thanks for sharing your build with us
I have some questions:

is there are a reason why the horn is at the bottom...was it because it was ideal for your mix position

I've read in some forums thats the monitors have to be decoupled from the soffit.In your room it seems integral or am I missing something?.Could you throw more light on this please

thx
Old 4th October 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit mangler View Post
HDguru,

Thanks for sharing your build with us
I have some questions:

is there are a reason why the horn is at the bottom...was it because it was ideal for your mix position

I've read in some forums thats the monitors have to be decoupled from the soffit.In your room it seems integral or am I missing something?.Could you throw more light on this please

thx
Bit Mangler,

Glad you enjoyed watching our little experiment unfold. Regarding the horn, we had a choice. Considering the room dimensions we could have either set it up as a clients room, or a mixers room. We chose to focus the sweet spot up front, and sacrafice some horn dispersion in the back which meant horns on the bottom. Consequently the mains are like giant nearfields, and I must say it's a lot of fun to sit up there and pump it up. The power, and dynamic range is nothing short of awesome. Even with this configuration there is so much sound shooting out of the cabinets that the back of the room still sounds great. You can definitely hurt yourself in there. Playing Akon, and YJ's "Soul Survivor" at a little over half mast results in a 5 mph breeze in the control room. Truely stunning.

Decoupling the monitors from the soffit. What this means is that the cabinet floats free on the 1/4" rubber liner, and are not bolted, or otherwise fastened to the soffit walls in any way. Floating the cabinets helps to reduce sympathetic vibration in the surrounding structure, and greatly increases low frequency accuracy (sheesh!). You can get the same effect by putting your nearfieilds on neoprene pads, or triangular point supports if your a real audiophile geek.

Happy gear hunting!

JB
Old 5th October 2006
Gear Addict

Finito.
Attached Thumbnails
Augspurger Install, Firewall Rebuild chronicled-wall6x4.jpg  
Old 5th October 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru View Post
You can definitely hurt yourself in there. Playing Akon, and YJ's "Soul Survivor" at a little over half mast results in a 5 mph breeze in the control room.

It looks incredible! Haha, I use Soul Survivor to test speakers as well, if a system can handle that at loud levels, and everything is fast..best feeling in the world. to me at least.
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

any updates?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search