The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Revox A77 High Speed Conversion Questions
Old 29th June 2012
Here for the gear

Revox A77 High Speed Conversion Questions

I have a chance to pick up a Revox A77 and it looks to have been converted to 7 1/2 / 15 ips. The owner has it serviced for him (he wasn't familiar with what an MRL tape is) and seems to be a good stand up guy. As a buyer though, wondering what to look out for with a converted machine. Not really sure how to test performance. It's an hour and a half drive so want to make sure before I make the trip that it's going to work out. Here's a pic from CL:

Jason
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Er, I don’t know the answer to your question… but there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. I would search A77 threads, earmark those members who seem to be ‘in the know’ and send them a Private message.

All the best.
Old 29th June 2012
Here for the gear

Yeah, I read all through the threads. I PM sometimes but as this could hopefully help others I try to post as much as possible. I'm going to head down and run through the machine this evening. He said it is not a conversion so that is giving me some good hope!.

Thanks.
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardboy View Post
Yeah, I read all through the threads. I PM sometimes but as this could hopefully help others I try to post as much as possible.
That makes good sense

Also try the hifi thread audiokarma - they're very knowledgable over there too.
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Check the capstan diameter.
The original 3,75/7,5" is rather small.
The original 7,5/15" is quite thick.
Old 30th June 2012
Here for the gear

I bought the machine, although it was a conversion. 100/1k/100k hz were all within 1.5 db. A touch of meter flutter on Track 1 (+/- 1db with 1k tone), not sure why. It's in very nice condition, and sounds great so I did it. I think it does need a calibration. Heads look decent, some life left for sure. Pinch roller is good.

Thanks to NickVivid who posted the instructions on the Abbey Road Mod for the A77 which just bypasses the mic preamps. I think I did it right. Including pics. If I missed something, please let me know. Would using the aux inputs accomplish the same thing? I'm assuming no or nobody would bother with the mod. Also posting a pic of the head block/tape path.

Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

As a Revox A700 (same family) owner i'd be interested to know how you get on with it.... keep us posted
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studerfreak View Post
Check the capstan diameter.
The original 3,75/7,5" is rather small.
The original 7,5/15" is quite thick.
4.5mm and 9.05mm to be rather quite millimetric.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search