The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unity boulder benefits over rocks ? Studio Monitors
Old 28th June 2012
Unity boulder benefits over rocks ?

Hi guys .... Some advice/opinions ..... I have some unity rocks monitors just upgraded to mk2 .... I ve seen the boulders and they look and sound impressive.... I work from home in a purpose built garage.... Would you sell rocks for boulders or keep the rocks and possibly buy some focal twins to pair with them.... I like twins but find them more hi fi than unity.....
Kj
Old 28th June 2012
member no 666

I'd go with the Boulders... I love mixing on the Rocks [they make me work REALLY hard and the resulting product reflects that hard work]... and while we have a set of Twin 6's at the studio here [the house engineer uses them] I only use them for "secondary reference".

I can hardly wait to get a set of Boulders in here as they sound very much like the Rocks... but with like an extra octave - octave and a half on the bottom.

The Twin 6's are lovely speakers... in fact, I'm thinking of getting some for the house because they are so lovely sounding. In my control room I want monitors that are clear, detailed, and tell me how bad my work is sucking at every given moment. The Twin 6's tell me I'm a genius [which is good for the ego... but not as good for the resulting product I'm mixing].

FWIW, I love tracking with the Twin 6's as they tell me what I need to know and help me make critical decisions during tracking quickly [more so than the Rocks]... but in mixing, they're not quite as revealing for the way I work as the Rocks are... I do like the extra bottom I get from the Twins, which is why I'm jonesing for the Boulders... so I can get that extra low end information from monitors that behave like the Rocks.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
Old 28th June 2012
Cheers mate I totally understand where your coming from ......
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I'I can hardly wait to get a set of Boulders in here as they sound very much like the Rocks... but with like an extra octave - octave and a half on the bottom.
I'm really intrigued by these speakers.. I haven't heard them yet.

I'm using S3As with a sub, don't like them as much without one. It's that bottom octave..

Fletcher, would you say I could probably ditch the sub if I had the Boulders? Do they really hit that bottom in a substantive way?
Old 29th June 2012
member no 666

I've only heard the Boulders at a trade show... they sounded similar to the Rocks with lower extension... while I've mixed on the Rocks and liked them, I have yet to mix on the Boulders so I really can't answer that question in what I feel would be close to an intelligent manner.

Peace
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Fair enough.. Maybe I'll get a chance to demo a pair someday.
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I've only heard the Boulders at a trade show... they sounded similar to the Rocks with lower extension... while I've mixed on the Rocks and liked them, I have yet to mix on the Boulders so I really can't answer that question in what I feel would be close to an intelligent manner.

Peace
Well I can solve that problem, The Boulders are currently on their way to you at Sound Pure for a proper test Fletcher!
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
I'm really intrigued by these speakers.. I haven't heard them yet.

I'm using S3As with a sub, don't like them as much without one. It's that bottom octave..

Fletcher, would you say I could probably ditch the sub if I had the Boulders? Do they really hit that bottom in a substantive way?
Along with the Boulders, you should demo the S3X, quite a few users went from S3A etc. :
ADAM New SX Series

And PSI: Visit at PSI audio
Old 20th July 2012
Great in depth review on the Boulders in Aug 2012 SOS. They seem to really be the bomb, especially with being an enclosed monitor.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Maniac

My Boulders are on their way. Can't wait to get stuck into some mixes and hearing the old ones
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
My Boulders are on their way. Can't wait to get stuck into some mixes and hearing the old ones
I took delivery on a pair of Boulders last month. Welcome to the world of a lot of information. For me the tightness and the detail in the low end, and their amazing definition has taken a lot of the second guessing out of the game for me. I just trust them. These and a pair of Aurotones are a perfect pair.

When I first got them I decided to try a mix with them completely trusting what I hear. Took it to the car, took it to the iPod, took it to the stereo and the translation was excellent. I was sold.

Boulders really reveal compression and limiting and the artifacts of it. It is so much easier getting comp/limiting right now. I find I can really hear what it is doing now.

They do take a bit to open up, so burn them in. Mine just keep getting better and better.

Congratulations on the purchase. Make sure you have nice and sturdy stands for them. I purchased the Sound Anchors and am happy with them.
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the feedback and info re stands. I spent a few hours burning the Boulders in this evening and listening back to a few mixes I thought I knew well. I heard a great deal of detail that I had never heard before - this is really just a first glance at the moment. I know what you mean by compression as well. I did notice a very minor operating hum on them. Only audible when it's silent but my Questeds had a similar hum as well.
Old 2nd December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by driskel View Post
I took delivery on a pair of Boulders last month. Welcome to the world of a lot of information. For me the tightness and the detail in the low end, and their amazing definition has taken a lot of the second guessing out of the game for me. I just trust them. These and a pair of Aurotones are a perfect pair.

When I first got them I decided to try a mix with them completely trusting what I hear. Took it to the car, took it to the iPod, took it to the stereo and the translation was excellent. I was sold.

Boulders really reveal compression and limiting and the artifacts of it. It is so much easier getting comp/limiting right now. I find I can really hear what it is doing now.

They do take a bit to open up, so burn them in. Mine just keep getting better and better.

Congratulations on the purchase. Make sure you have nice and sturdy stands for them. I purchased the Sound Anchors and am happy with them.

Thanks for your post.

Any comparison with PSI guys?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search