The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DB
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Nut

DB

I am looking at specs for preamps and need to kmow something about using High end preamps.

There was a sound on sound review of the Dav BG1 saying that it had huge +21db output and couldn't be used with -10 line level equipment

I am looking at P-Solo or Millenia preamps, that have a stated output of +31db

I am using an Emu 1212M which is stated at +4. Will the Emu be able to handle +31db equipment, or will it just distort to hell

Stephen
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

email mick hinton, the DAV designer @

[email protected] OR [email protected]

and ask him. FWIW, I own milllennia preamps and haevnt used them since I bought the DAVs. DAV is a phenomenal choice.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Nut

Dav

Dav isn't my cup of tea, if the sound comparisons that i've heard are anything to go by. I just need to get my head around if it is possible to buy a great preamp with +31db gain, and then find it isn't compatible with my Emu 1212M

I liked the Dav on vocals, percussiion. But it was my least fav on acoustic guitar, which is what i need it for

stephen
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Those dB values are maximum output levels before clipping.

Meaning they are capable of delivering +21dB and +31dB respectively before crapping out.

They are 0VU = +4dB devices like pretty much all pro stuff.

If your Emu 1212 operates at +4dB aswell then it should be no problem though my guess would be that the Emu clips before the preamp does.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

You should be fine. The 31 dB you're talking about is (I assume) potential gain. This is a different thing than -10/+4 inputs and outputs. If the pre is too hot, you can turn down the output gain or use an inline pad. It's quite do-able.

<edit>

Yeah, what gainreduction said.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search