The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what makes gear better than other gear?
Old 2nd August 2013
  #31
Lives for gear
 

thanks again. good answers
Old 2nd August 2013
  #32
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
+1!
.
There's no magic, is science.

Cheu
Gotta disagree. When a piece provides that euphonic sound you're after b/c it's being pushed outside of it's design specs, that's not science. That's the magic
Old 2nd August 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Chaellus's Avatar
the topology for one, high quality parts, great ventilation.... great craftsmanship and skill wheather it be passive or active, PCB vs Point-to-Point Discrete transistor tech, Class A,B,C or any others. They all have a different flavour depending on the components used the topology chosen etc. and the quality implemented.
Old 2nd August 2013
  #34
Lives for gear
The look. If it is prettier. If it is portable. For me it is the quality of the components, build quality, etc as mentioned above. I don't care if it is ugly as hell.
Old 3rd August 2013
  #35
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Gotta disagree. When a piece provides that euphonic sound you're after b/c it's being pushed outside of it's design specs, that's not science. That's the magic
I disagree too !

Even if there were "mistakes", it's still sound that way because of the science behind it (because of the components "bending")..the laws of physics and/or chemistry currently known..
There's no magic in audio (even if sometimes you hear a sound and you think it sounds magical).

no magic, simply science and genius for who designed that particular piece IMHO.
regarding the "mistakes" in the circuit or components that we might like in a specific piece of gear, it's simply a matter of "luck" or happy coincidence if you prefer..

anyway the short answer to the thread is: quality. heh



Cheu
Old 3rd August 2013
  #36
Gear Addict
 
Slik dA Relic's Avatar
 

ive always believed.. whether u use crayons, chalk, paint, pencils, pens, magic markers or a mixture of them all, a skilled artist will make it look beautiful, regardless of the medium.. always remember that.. that goes for sound as well.

da relic
Old 3rd August 2013
  #37
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Gotta disagree. When a piece provides that euphonic sound you're after b/c it's being pushed outside of it's design specs, that's not science. That's the magic
there is also serendipity

as devices become more complex, they are increasingly subject to the "Butterfly Effect"- where infinitesimal differences in initial conditions yield great differences in the final output. Especially when feedback is part of the circuit.

two devices may both have topologies that are equally 'scientific' in terms of good design and quality components, but one or the other may just luck out in that a particular component choice or design choice interacts with other variables in a manner of complexity that can never be fully predicted.
Old 3rd August 2013
  #38
Gear Maniac
Better components and better sound are two different things.

Better components are objective, they will have higher tolerances, better quality control, more research and development, etc.

Better sound is subjective, some like the sound of tape, in fact many like the sound of tape, many engineers swear by it. Tape from a technical standpoint, will not have the same fidelity, headroom, or bandwidth that can be achieved from a digital recording. Although it may be inferior technically, does it make it worse?

The answer is No! and there is a reason that many love tape, and it is because of the sound!

As far as tube vs. solid state goes, that is all preference. There is a big difference in how it sounds, but if that sound is good is all up to you!
Old 3rd August 2013
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Play's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc14basketball View Post
Better components and better sound are two different things.

Better components are objective...

Better sound is subjective
I can't help but disagree with this. I believe both are equally objective and subjective. Sound is like a piece of gear in itself, it has both a mechanical function as well as idealistic value.

There is some clear entropy going on here though and to achieve a desirable outcome, some combination of good science and good magic will usually get you there, however discrete this polarity appears to be.
Old 3rd August 2013
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
Was talking to an older friend and he used to take classes building tube gear in his youth. He said solid state electronics are better and no one can tell the difference. He said guys just liked to see the tubes glow, lol.

It made me release i couldn't answer him about why certain gear has a better sound. Sure there is bad tube gear and great solid state. But what makes one thing better than the other? Why is a telefunken v72 better than a mackie preamp? Why would an old valve amp be better than a new solid state reissue? Tell me so i can tell my friend. Thanks!!
If your friend is a musician and gets a great sound, then maybe he is right.

If he's not a musician, then his vote doesn't count.

I can't live without tube guitar amps. I could live with with everything else being solid state.
Old 3rd August 2013
  #41
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

it sounds great and it works consistently.
Old 4th August 2013
  #42
Lives for gear
 

If it lives up to your expectations.......... Most models are beautiful, but don't always have much to say.............

Its's about the conversation
Old 4th August 2013
  #43
Lives for gear
A lot of good gear is large
Old 14th July 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
If your friend is a musician and gets a great sound, then maybe he is right.

If he's not a musician, then his vote doesn't count.

I can't live without tube guitar amps. I could live with with everything else being solid state.
hes an 85 year old pilot. when he was young he took a radio repair course. part of some usa program i think. he has the perspective of seeing many changes in electronics. i guess he doesnt understand the good distortion philosophy
Old 14th July 2014
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
I would go with speed of results as a key qualifier. If you plug in a mic, preamp, and compressor into your converters and it sounds fantastic. That makes it better.
Old 17th July 2014
  #46
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
If your friend is a musician and gets a great sound, then maybe he is right.

If he's not a musician, then his vote doesn't count.

I can't live without tube guitar amps. I could live with with everything else being solid state.
Plus the fact that Most pedals ONLY sound best thru Tube amps...
There is a good reason for this, most distortion pedals for example produce close to a square wave output, a solid state amp will sound REALLY bad with this signal, most tube amps will NOT reproduce a square wave signal....Check it out...
Old 17th July 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
hes an 85 year old pilot. when he was young he took a radio repair course. part of some usa program i think. he has the perspective of seeing many changes in electronics. i guess he doesnt understand the good distortion philosophy
There IS a BIG difference between say 20% tube amp distortion, and 20% Solid state distortion...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
MusicKat / So Much Gear, So Little Time
20
djui5 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
101
Schmacko / So Much Gear, So Little Time
46
jessdan / So Much Gear, So Little Time
16

Forum Jump
Forum Jump