The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audeze LCD-2 Users
Old 26th June 2012
Audeze LCD-2 Users

I'm looking for Gearslutz opinion on these fine headphones for mixing/mastering situations. Everything I hear about them would indicate that they will be fantastic for this purpose, but I'd love to hear from some studio guys who own them and use them for mixing/mastering applications. I was thinking of getting some HD650's before I discovered the LCD-2's, now I'm torn.
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

lol. I had HD650 before I got LCD-2. LCD-2 is in a different class imo. However, LCD-2 is very very very heavy.
Old 27th June 2012
Thanks for the feedback. Have you found that you can mix easier on them, and do those mixes translate better to other playback systems?
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Addict

Hey MmBuddha, I'd definitely say mixes come together easier with my LCD-2 headphones. In fact I also have a pair of Focal CMS-50 monitors but in my room I felt they were a bit too boomy so I recently bought IK Multimedia's ARC Software, after I went through the correction process I was surprised (but delighted!) that my CMS-50 monitors sounded almost exactly the same as my LCD-2's - I could hardly tell a difference in frequency response. So I mostly mix on the LCD-2's and check things on the monitors. I would definitely trust the LCD-2's for mixing!

By the way, if you go to the Audeze website they seem to have an LCD-3 out now. I don't know what the differences are, but just letting you know.
Old 27th July 2012
Here for the gear

Greetings,

I am a mix/mastering engineer trying to figure out what headphones would be best suited for my work. The work I predominately do is based in the range of indi rock to extreme metal. I currently have a set of Beyerdynamic 880 pro 250ohms. I find them too bright and loose in the low end. I am pairing them with a Benchmark DAC 1 currently. I need to be able to trust these cans, on first impression to do an entire mix or master on if required.

Thank you for any help with this search and for any time given.

Eric
Old 27th July 2012
Gear Head

You would get the best results by mating the LCD 2 with a good headphone amp. Benchmark, Burson etc. The detail of reverb tails is remarkable and even at low volumes you do not feel the Fletcher-Munson curve kicking in. A pleasure to mix or cross reference mixes.
Old 27th July 2012
Here for the gear

Thank you KJ for your reply. Just curious, have you ever tried the hd800?
Old 27th July 2012
Here for the gear

I loved my LCD2 on 1rst experience, they are very detailed & analytic, with a fantastic depth on all spectrum. Recently I was not home & had to start a mix only with these, was quite happy during that 1rst step. Then I came back home & listened on my trusty Adam S3XV - kind of disappointing. Everything needed to be more hyped (more precision, more highs, more treble, more energy). Which would say that the LCD2 sound "too good" & that you can be too easily happy with them. And that speakers are still compulsory.
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmBuddha View Post
I'm looking for Gearslutz opinion on these fine headphones for mixing/mastering situations. Everything I hear about them would indicate that they will be fantastic for this purpose, but I'd love to hear from some studio guys who own them and use them for mixing/mastering applications. I was thinking of getting some HD650's before I discovered the LCD-2's, now I'm torn.
Ok FWIW.....
I loved the LCD-2's. They sound pretty wonderful. Used them out of a Lavry da10 hp out.

That said, I found that for mix work their somewhat full bodied low end did not ultimately lend itself well to mix translation.
I now use and am fine w/ hd 600's.
(2nd to getting things sorted w/ good nearfields)

I had to sell mine mostly due to their weight and a cervical issue that made wearing them for an extended period not fun for the spine.
Damn if I don't miss the way that Muddy Waters record sounded on m though.
The LCD-3's are supposed to be even sweeter albeit costly.
Old 28th July 2012
Lives for gear

LCD-2 + Grace m903 is all I ever wanted in headphones

...the LCD-3 is like € 2000,-, I fear....though really, really good!

...but if you got 5-6grand to blow, an LCD-3 with the MalValve headphone amp is an ultimate listening experience to lay down on the couch at night!!
(someday....)
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear
How well can you drive them via UCX headphone outputs? Any benefits for going "amp way"?
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hello colleagues! Going to buy a headphone for home mixing. There are 2 options: LCD2 and LCD2 Classic. The card will be RME FF802. Which of these two ears will you recommend? What are the pros and cons of them relative to each other. Who is the winner of them for mixing?
Old 14th November 2018
I bought the Audez made Monoprice M1060 planers here. Pretty much the same cans but only $250. Yes, they slay most dynamics.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I own LCD-2's and wouldn't recommend them for mixing. They're very coloured - they have a strong Audeze house sound.

You'd be better off with HD800/HD650 or LCD-X with Sonarworks Reference 4. You can buy them directly from SW (calibrated for the specific cans).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search