The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with matching a Preamp to a Mojave MA-301FET Mic Single-Channel Preamps
Old 25th June 2012
Here for the gear

Help with matching a Preamp to a Mojave MA-301FET Mic

Looking for suggestions for a good match for this mic. the ones I've looked at are the GR me1-nv, P-solo, Daking pre-one, GAP 73.

I'm interested in some colour, with the ability to be clean if needed. Thoughts?
Old 26th June 2012
preamps preamps preamps....

if you can afford a Mojave Audio MA-301fet, you can afford the search function on this site
but seriously, there is already a wealth of information available on this topic.
Old 26th June 2012
Gear Head

Well... that went well!
Old 26th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
Get the **** off your high horse. Go ahead proove to me that I didn't use due diligence and search prior to posting. You got time to play moderator with your 75 posts, then give me ONE link with personal recommendations that answers my question regarding a specific mic. And not the one that exists with the 1 preamp reply.
geez pal, relax will ya?
I meant no disrespect, here is the deal, Im just tired of seeing the same "recommend me a preamp" threads over and over. I know you think your thread is totally different because you brought up the mojave ma301. But the pre's you are considering??? the GR me1-nv, P-solo, Daking pre-one, GAP 73.... every single one of those pre's has been covered in utter detail! there are tons of preamp threads, mostly all redundant! This one isn't as different as you probably think.

It should be noted that preamps should not be recommended merely because of the microphone being used. Microphones and preamps are selected together to suit the sounds of a particular source.
In fact, it should be obvious to anyone doing their "due diligence" that recommending a preamp for a microphone without knowing what the source will be is utterly foolish. This is because there is definitely no such thing as a mic/pre combo that is always perfect for any possible source.

In reference to this thread, you could have brought up, what preamps you already own or have used before, and what you did/didnt like about them so we would have a reference point to help you. You could have brought up, what kinds of sources you plan on recording; vocals, guitar, drum room mic, kick mic?? All or none of the above? And if you are planning on using the mic just for one source (like vocals) how about giving the thread readers any information about what that source sounds like; for example: male or female voice, raspy voice, harsh voice, soft voice, loud voice? Or perhaps you could have described what kinds of tones you like, so people can make more intelligent preamp suggestions to you.

Dont be so ready to fight man, im not trying to play moderator, im not trying to antagonize you, nor am i interested in going back and forth arguing with you. I simply believe that you have more than enough information at your fingertips and with some more intelligent research, im confident you can answer your question through a plethora of available threads, asking the right questions, and most importantly through your own personal experience.
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

A little color and clean eliminates some pres..
Transformer based would/could add warmth depending on the rest of the circuit..
Best way is to A/B a few pres, if that is NOT an option where you are then...
There are many choices...
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

And all of those pres would be a good choice.... the MA-301 is a really good sounding mic on it's own, so any choice would be fine. A big price range on what you are looking at... I like the Great River and Daking stuff on that list. But if you are unsure of sound you want, add the Dave Hill Europa 1 instead of the Great River, as you'll be able to get a variety of different sounds out of it.
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

I have a couple 201-fets and they have always paired well with my Pacifica or Vintech 272. Do you have the mic already? If so, it would be great to know what you're using it with already and what and what not about that is working for you, or what you are going for. More info helps us help you. - Paul
Old 27th June 2012
Great River 1NV. Its a very versatile preamp and gives you a lot of quality for the price (or any price!!).
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

i like that Daking ..nice clear sound
Old 28th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Do you have the mic already? If so, it would be great to know what you're using it with already and what and what not about that is working for you, or what you are going for. More info helps us help you.
I haven't bought it yet, but I returned a Gemini and will most likely buy the mojave now. I'm just trying to research as many preamps as I can before choosing one. I currently have a Motu 828mk3 that I've been using, but after doing a shootout between its pre's vs. a dust collecting VTB-1 and Apogee one I have for my laptop, I was surprised that the VTB-1 was quite noticeably better than the motu pre's that sounded like they were muffled with a blanket in comparison against both the vtb-1 and One. VTB-1, however only sound decent with the tube rolled all the way off.

I'd like to have a solid vocal chain and I realize that it's not going to be ideal for everyone I record, but such is life. I'm tired of the associated pitfalls of cheaper/affordable equipment.

I generally record pop and new country/rock music and find that I generally want a fairly clean sound, but on occasion, I've needed grit and have relied on other methods to achieve it.

I wrote the OP wrong after reading it now. It was written quickly from an iphone, which is why I excluded details. It would be nice to have some flexibility in the preamp to get a little colour, but I can only afford one good preamp right now and want the clean to be priority. If a specific preamp could be driven for some additional colour, well that'd be quite nice by me.

I wasn't after having someone tell me what to buy, I was looking for suggestions to research, so I didn't overlook any worthy competitors.

The dave hill designs was one I wasn't aware of and looks very interesting... Much thanks to the people who gave positive feedback!

Quote:
Man, that's a lot of fire and brimstone after asking a massively stupid question.
I didn't ask a question.
Old 28th June 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
Looking for suggestions for a good match for this mic. the ones I've looked at are the GR me1-nv, P-solo, Daking pre-one, GAP 73.
Of that group - the ME-1NV is by far the best of the group... clearest, most "balls" [little color] and without a doubt the most flexible in terms of the variety of sounds you can get from it.

Peace
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Nut

Look into the Warm Audio WA12 pre. It has a TONE button which is supposed to help add color when needed.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev9recording View Post
geez pal, relax will ya?
I meant no disrespect, here is the deal, Im just tired of seeing the same "recommend me a preamp" threads over and over. I know you think your thread is totally different because you brought up the mojave ma301. But the pre's you are considering??? the GR me1-nv, P-solo, Daking pre-one, GAP 73.... every single one of those pre's has been covered in utter detail! there are tons of preamp threads, mostly all redundant! This one isn't as different as you probably think.

It should be noted that preamps should not be recommended merely because of the microphone being used. Microphones and preamps are selected together to suit the sounds of a particular source.
In fact, it should be obvious to anyone doing their "due diligence" that recommending a preamp for a microphone without knowing what the source will be is utterly foolish. This is because there is definitely no such thing as a mic/pre combo that is always perfect for any possible source.

In reference to this thread, you could have brought up, what preamps you already own or have used before, and what you did/didnt like about them so we would have a reference point to help you. You could have brought up, what kinds of sources you plan on recording; vocals, guitar, drum room mic, kick mic?? All or none of the above? And if you are planning on using the mic just for one source (like vocals) how about giving the thread readers any information about what that source sounds like; for example: male or female voice, raspy voice, harsh voice, soft voice, loud voice? Or perhaps you could have described what kinds of tones you like, so people can make more intelligent preamp suggestions to you.

Dont be so ready to fight man, im not trying to play moderator, im not trying to antagonize you, nor am i interested in going back and forth arguing with you. I simply believe that you have more than enough information at your fingertips and with some more intelligent research, im confident you can answer your question through a plethora of available threads, asking the right questions, and most importantly through your own personal experience.
Tired of seeing these posts... Isn't it just easier to answer the question lol... I'm also after the same thing, and didn't find it anywhere else. Really good mic tho!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search